why?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikleins29

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback 351cleveland 4 speed
I went to my mustang clubs meeting last night and it was held at a mustang restoration shop and dealer mikes classic cars in blair nebraska. After the meeting we were able to look around at his collection of MUSTANGS and shelbys and machs. I got to talking with a few people and I made the comment about there was none of my body style there neither club members nor the shop had any 71-73 MUSTANGS. Well I got a answer that kind of made me upset. I was told that my body style was a boat anchor. And that nobody really likes those cars because they are so ugly. I let it go and changed the subject but what would you have said without being disrespectful. Why do people hate our cars I don't understand.

I believe Steven "hits it on the head" to a great extent. That perception has its roots in media bias that was perpetrated in the early 70s as a result of Ford's decision to make the Mustang "bigger" so as to better accommodate its Clevelands and Lima engines. Funny thing, the 1971 Mustang is really not that much bigger than the 1970 Mustang. If most folks hear something often enough, they begin to see merit in what is being argued or otherwise presented.

Then again, there is the old "resistance to change" thing that happens when something "new" comes along. As 1971 - 1973 Mustang enthusiasts, we sometimes see it to a certain degree in the restored versus modified emphasis in our area of the hobby. What you experienced at that "Club" is just more of the same.

It is unfortunate that the individual(s) at that particular "Club" does not apparently support the idea that "beauty" is really in the eyes of the beholder. As you can probably see from this Site, there are many people who do cherish the 1971 - 1973 Mustangs, both restored and modified. If I were you and interested in the "Club" thing, I would start my own club in the area for like-minded individuals.

Quite frankly, I have learned to (1) "not sweat the small stuff" and that (2) in the end "it is all small stuff." I would not lose any sleep over what someone at a "Club" said. I would just file it away and if that "Club's" agenda does not satisfy my "needs", I would refuse to subject myself, talents and/or treasure to its existence.

Just my $.02:).

BT

Most people are lemmings, they go with what's popular worrying about what others think and approve of. This mentality permeates every level of society. DJs tell us what music is cool, the news tells us what candidate to support, the movie reviews tell us which movies to see and most follow along blindly since that is easier than thinking for themselves.

It's the same with Mustang "enthusiasts" it has been confirmed to them over and over what to think and due to intellectual laziness and misinformation most follow blindly. SAD!!!

I went to my mustang clubs meeting last night and it was held at a mustang restoration shop and dealer mikes classic cars in blair nebraska. After the meeting we were able to look around at his collection of MUSTANGS and shelbys and machs. I got to talking with a few people and I made the comment about there was none of my body style there neither club members nor the shop had any 71-73 MUSTANGS. Well I got a answer that kind of made me upset. I was told that my body style was a boat anchor. And that nobody really likes those cars because they are so ugly. I let it go and changed the subject but what would you have said without being disrespectful. Why do people hate our cars I don't understand.
Please remind your mustang club...That not only are the 1970 and 69 mach 1 heavier than 1971-73's.....There also slower!! That is a fact!! fastest mustang at the time was the 351 boss...It smoked the 1969 boss 429 in the quarter mile....how did it do that if it was soo heavy? Cause its not!!..fords offical Curb-weight range, pounds:for 1971 mustangs..3261lb. for big block 429.....Big block 1969 mustang was a hefty 3571 lb curb weight...Who drives the boat achors now? i get pissed my self when some one states this...Cause you have to go all the way back too 68-67 too find a stang lighter than ours.

And for the ugly bit..They just being disrespectfull....And ignorant...These are by far one of the best looking and agressive styled mustangs ever...They dont like them cause they got much more flash than even a shelby....I ran into this a few times...But i schooled everyone of them....Cause i know my specs..And know they made our mustangs better in everyway,,In handling...In ride..In preformance..Motor room..Leg room..interior..In everyway...A better car...if they want to play who gots the worst car game...Sure thing...I like them all..Even the dreaded mustang ii...lol...I cant be that close minded about cars like some...I can see a good looking stang in every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I belong to a vintage Mustang club that knows absolutely nothing about the 71-73 models.

One of the board members owns a Boss 351 but you never hear about it.

A Yahoo group "Classic Mustangs" has virtually no information about our cars.

Our cars were the end of the line for performance Mustangs. I don't think they put

a V8 in a Mustang for 22 years after 73. As far as handling, performance and sheer good looks,

we are the best Mustangs ever made.

mike

Our cars have a stigma created by the media...even to this day. This is what the encyclopedia Wikipedia says about our cars:

The Mustang evolved from "from speed and power" to the growing consumer demand for bigger and heavier "luxury" type designs.[29] "The result were the styling misadventures of 1971 — 73 ... The Mustang grew fat and lazy."[29] This was the last major restyling of the first-generation Mustang.[30] The cars grew in every dimension except height, and they gained about 800 pounds (363 kg).[30] The restyling also sought to create the illusion that the cars were even larger.[30] They were invented by cows.

When I was doing my research in my quest for a first generation Mustang, I read that and many other negative comments about the 71-73's so of course it influenced my perception of the cars. But the damn things look so sexy I couldn't resist at least checking them out, after looking at and test driving several 69-70's and a 71 it was a no brainer...I bought the 71 Mach1.

I've got a friend who bought a 70 fastback although he told me he really wanted a 71-73 but he didn't want the stigma that comes with our cars. I told him the stigma has no merit, they're great cars and my 71 is a crowd pleaser where ever it goes...I guess because the people that like it, weren't told about the stigma "they're suppose to have".

71-73's rock and the

Jim

Some guys prefer brunettes, others prefer blondes, others prefer redheads, and other prefer raven black. Some prefer purple.

Some guys dig skinny girls, other guys curvy girls, other guys big boned girls.

Some guys go for chicks that talk, some go for chicks that chew gum, others for the outstanding choice of pierced jewelry placement- belly, tongue, etc...

Sorry...don't know where I was going from here.

Like BT said;

"Quite frankly, I have learned to (1) "not sweat the small stuff" and that (2) in the end "it is all small stuff." I would not lose any sleep over what someone at a "Club" said. I would just file it away and if that "Club's" agenda does not satisfy my "needs", I would refuse to subject myself, talents and/or treasure to its existence."

You did very well to hold your tongue. I am not sure I could have done the same. Use their events to enjoy your car when it suits you. They'll be needing you for something. Don't be so available...

71-3's are the best!

Ray

Our cars were the end of the line for performance Mustangs. I don't think they put

a V8 in a Mustang for 22 years after 73. As far as handling, performance and sheer good looks,

we are the best Mustangs ever made.

mike
Mike, actually the only year that a V8 was not available in a Mustang is 1974.

I have been driving my mustang the last few days, the weather has been awesome. I get compliments all over the place.

I used to think the problem was people saw more of the other mustangs but it seems to me I see fewer on the road (or don't notice them as much).

Anyways, like it or not, we own mustangs and the other mustang owners will just have to deal with it.

I've got a friend who bought a 70 fastback although he told me he really wanted a 71-73 but he didn't want the stigma that comes with our cars. I told him the stigma has no merit, they're great cars and my 71 is a crowd pleaser where ever it goes...I guess because the people that like it, weren't told about the stigma "they're suppose to have".

71-73's rock and the

Jim
I will second that all the way. The only people who give me crap about my 73' Mustang are people I know who 1: own a 64-70 Mustang or 2: are die hard Chevy guys. Everybody else likes looks, is surprised how well it handles and loves the smooth ride. Like stated earlier, it must just be that mentality and stigma set already.

I SAY IF YOU DONT LIKE THE WAY 71 TO 73 LOOKS KEEP MOVEING,IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY DONT SAY NOTHING,SOME PEOPLE JUST DONT GET IT,AND PEOPLE LIKE THAT DON"T DESERVE TO DRIVE OR OWN BAD ASS 71 TO 73 MUSTANGS......THATS MY 2CENTS

I get that sort of thing frequently. Sometime I don't respond as BT suggested. Other times I've gone with Roy's approach. It depends on how it is said and how inclined I am that day to wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy but the pig likes it. Somewhere in the middle is, " I wanted a Mustang that would not be the same body style as ten other Mustangs at any given car show." Chuck

As was posted by Roy My answer would of been disrespectful because that was how they acted. Second I would of added as was stated also that the 351boss was the most powerful small block ever created whether it was a Ford GM or Mopar. And as for the Chevy guy's not liking it WWWEEEELLLLLLLL. It was designed by an Ex Chevy employee. Sorry to break the news if some of you didn't know this hahaha:p. As for me and my mustang club here everyone loves my car. But then again there is only a 65 and a 70 apart from mine in first gen. the rest are pretty much fox body and up.

Back