Does anybody make a kit...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
... that includes EVERYTHING I need to put fuel lines back in my H-Code '71 Mach 1?

Like with the 'brakes' question, I'm tired of staring at vendor part numbers trying to figure out which ones I need to make a complete circuit from the tank to the carb.

I'm interested in pre-bent, new lines, couplers, and hardware. I'm also going to add-in a Holley Black electric fuel pump (and pre-filter) along with a fuel pressure regulator and clear filter on top of the engine before it terminates at the Edelbrock Performer carb that's also not here yet.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric,

While it is not specifically made for the 1971 - 1973 Mustang, I am using a version of the kit in the attached link for my upcoming 545 install. There is a great write-up on the version of my kit in the April 2010 edition of "Popular Hot Rodding."

http://www.race-mart.com/Russell-RUS-641593.html

The version above includes a pump that is supposed to support up to 480 HP. The version that I am using (641523) is supposed to support up to 1000 HP.

I tend to use JEGS for stuff like this as they will match any other advertised INTERNET price. You can "goggle" the part number to find the best price, capture the link and then go to JEGS to place your order...this could include free shipping.

Hope this helps.

BT

Eric,

While it is not specifically made for the 1971 - 1973 Mustang, I am using a version of the kit in the attached link for my upcoming 545 install. There is a great write-up on the version of my kit in the April 2010 edition of "Popular Hot Rodding."

http://www.race-mart.com/Russell-RUS-641593.html

The version above includes a pump that is supposed to support up to 480 HP. The version that I am using (641523) is supposed to support up to 1000 HP.

I tend to use JEGS for stuff like this as they will match any other advertised INTERNET price. You can "goggle" the part number to find the best price, capture the link and then go to JEGS to place your order...this could include free shipping.

Hope this helps.

BT
Appreciate the reply, but I've already got the Holley Black fuel pump and plan on getting the other parts soon (Edelbrock Performer Carb, fuel pressure regulator, filters, fuel tank & sender, etc.).

I just need to know what pre-formed lines, couplers, hardware, grommets, etc., are needed and if they were to come in a 'kit' form, that would be awesome. (I can see where it sounded like I need all of the other stuff as well - sorry for that)

I got the brake lines, fuel lines, and hardware kits, and now can't quite figure out how it all goes on. If anybody has some diagrams on how to route the fuel lines, brake lines, and some approximate locations for the mounting clips, that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

You won't be able to get both a 'complete kit' and something that isn't a stock install. But it looks like you have been provided a couple of custom benders.
Oh, I've got the 'kit' from Inline Tube, and it's pretty complete (minus the distribution blocks and front flex hoses for the brakes, and no flex hose for joining the lines or to the tank sending unit - which is fine, I'll get that tomorrow on the way in). I just need to know where to stuff the long lines, so they might fit in there reasonably well. A stock diagram would go a long way toward that. My 'yellow' books aren't any help, as well as the Chilton's only shows a 'typical' (meaning '68 and older) fuel line layout.

It looks like I'm going to have to take apart the front driver side suspension to get the front of the long fuel line through the forward inner fender apron. Might have to tweak some of the bends a little as well to fit with all the new stuff under there (traction bars, subframe connectors, etc.)

Not sure about a 71, but I left my brake and fuel lines intact when I took them out of my 73. They ran down the center of the car and if you need I will post up a picture of them for you.

Yes, please. Thanks in advance, Mark.

I finally figured out the fuel line - whatta dumb-ass design. Into the rear fender apron, flex-hose to a second piece, then back out of the rear of the shock tower, under the upper control arm, then back into the front fender apron?! Really?! Granted, it makes more sense than how I was attempting to route it without instructions or pictures, given the pieces I have.

That was after I took apart the front suspension because I just KNEW there was no way that long-ass piece of fuel line was going to fit into the front apron hole and still be able to feed through the suspension. I pulled up the old nasty pictures of the Rustang and the light bulb went on.

Now, I'm stuck on the main front-to-rear brake line. I'm guessing it runs down the driver side of the transmission tunnel (I found what's left of a clip on the firewall), but neither end really seems to want to fit on either end. The only part that makes sense of the entire line is the 'clearance' bend that sneaks under the transmission hump cross member. The rest of that piece - not so much.

I also figured out the rest of the lines - the front lines pop through the rear of the shock towers go under the upper control arms, and do a '180' back for the flex lines for the disc brakes. The one that looks like the transmission tunnel goes, well... just atop the transmission tunnel. The ones that looks like the rear axle go on the rear axle. THAT much, I figured out.

My question now: does the master cylinder-/prop valve-end of the line fit on the outside of the master cylinder, or the inside (toward the center of the car)? That little tidbit will be huge in deciding whether this thing will fit or not without some 'tweaking' of my own. Neither end wants to line up with the flex line & bracket that attaches to the distribution block on the rear axle, so I think I will be coming up with my own solution on that one.

I'm also going to wind up whacking a big section out of the tail-end of the fuel line to support my Holley Black fuel pump. But that's all academic at this point.

It runs from the prop valve, along the toe board seam, down the trans tunnel, and then pops out at the end of the tunnel. I should have took pics of it when I did it, but it's a complete PITA with a complete car to fish it in and out of everything.

IMG_15061.jpg

IMG_15041.jpg

Thanks a ton, Mark. These help quite a bit!

I must ask though: how important is the return line? I didn't get one in the kit from Inline Tube, and I don't remember there being one on my car when I started taking stuff apart.

Where does the return line hook up under the hood, anyway?

That would depend on how "stock" your engine is. If your still using a stock air cleaner and vacuum tree it may be an issue getting maximum vacuum. What set up do you have now?

Last edited by a moderator:
The engine's not going to be very 'stock' at all - I've got an Edelbrock 1406 on top of the 2750 intake. I'm not going to be using the stock vacuum tree. I'll be using the stock Ram-Air air cleaner only for the Ram-Air functionality... not much else. Also, going to be running a Holley Black electric pump, so honestly, I feel the need for the return line really isn't there. I was thinking of putting a check valve on the end of the vent hose and hang it vertical (just like we do with differential vent tubes on the 4x4s).

If I really still need to get one, now is the time to let me know, since I'll still have the ability to install it next weekend if necessary. Otherwise, I think mine will effectively be a 'closed' system.

Any advice regarding that will be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Back