Saginaw Pump Conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfairmont

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1
Has anyone replaced the oem pump with a saginaw unit? Just curious obout the pulley sizes and any pressure adjustments made. I have a problem of hard steering at low RPM and sensitive steering while cruising. The thing also howls a bit at all speeds. I'm going to put on a new sag pump and a slightly smaller diameter pulley this weekend and see what happens.

Has anyone replaced the oem pump with a saginaw unit? Just curious obout the pulley sizes and any pressure adjustments made. I have a problem of hard steering at low RPM and sensitive steering while cruising. The thing also howls a bit at all speeds. I'm going to put on a new sag pump and a slightly smaller diameter pulley this weekend and see what happens.
I can only say that the power steering pump belt has to be REALLY REALLY tight, and I know that is a hard thing to accomplish.

There is a 3 piece belt tightening tool that is mounted between 2 pulleys. You tighten the middle piece with a wrench and the 2 pieces mounted to the 2 pulleys expands. You might want to try that between going to a saginaw. The middle piece come in various sizes to fit your application.

th_sirs-230xxx.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I got the new pump installed and what a difference. I can now turn lock to lock with a finger at idle. I have a serpentine setup. Anyone recognize these brackets? Only two of the three mounting holes on the brackets line up with the head but it works well.

2012-04-13_21-55-51_52.jpg

2012-04-13_21-55-22_241.jpg

2012-04-13_21-55-37_907.jpg

Back