Keep the A/C, or pitch it?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
I guess this falls under aesthetics. The big ol' ugly stock AC compressor and hoses are, to me, an eyesore when I envision the rebuilt 351 2V. Plus, it probably sucks up some power, and until now, I'd never heard of putting an air conditioner in a convertible (like putting an air conditioner out on the front porch).

Remember, no strip, maybe a small show or two, mostly burnouts around town.

So, should I unbolt it and plug any holes that might be associated with the hoses, and hold onto until the day that I (maybe) sell it? Or would I be a fool to remove it because it is a treasured piece on a car like mine, and someone might show up at my doorstep to punch me in the nose just for doing something so foolish? :)

All opinions welcome. Right now, the belt is in the trunk and I have no idea if it works or not. OK, so I should find out if it works. If it does, what? And if it doesn't?

Thanks,

Doc

Your car your decision. It all comes out to what you want and need.If you do take it out store it in a box.Like you said maybe someday you'll sell the car and tell the buyer you have the ac unit for it. If not shine it up and use it as a paper weight:D

I guess this falls under aesthetics. The big ol' ugly stock AC compressor and hoses are, to me, an eyesore when I envision the rebuilt 351 2V. Plus, it probably sucks up some power, and until now, I'd never heard of putting an air conditioner in a convertible (like putting an air conditioner out on the front porch).

Remember, no strip, maybe a small show or two, mostly burnouts around town.

So, should I unbolt it and plug any holes that might be associated with the hoses, and hold onto until the day that I (maybe) sell it? Or would I be a fool to remove it because it is a treasured piece on a car like mine, and someone might show up at my doorstep to punch me in the nose just for doing something so foolish? :)

All opinions welcome. Right now, the belt is in the trunk and I have no idea if it works or not. OK, so I should find out if it works. If it does, what? And if it doesn't?

Thanks,

Doc
I would see if it works first of all. Actually air on a vert is a rare option. But its your car. Keep it if you want it, put it in the garage if you don.t. I personally am not putting air back on my car. It had the dealer installed air (under the dash type) and have caught hell from my uncle about not putting it back on. He tells me I will regret it. But I did have my new fuse box prewired for vintage air just incase he is right.

Doc,

Based on your stated intent I would make sure it is functional and leave it installed.

As previously noted, this is a rare option on a Convertible. While removing the AC will remove some weight, I do not believe that is an "issue" in your application. Based on your posts, you are not trying to gain every last HP from your engine.

For the "Street", i think you will have all the "tire chirping" power that you need with your intended modifications - - the AC will not "hurt" you:)!

BT

well i'll chime in, the A/C stuff is rare, and heavy. if you strip it and keep it, that is one thing, if you strip it and sell it, your in for a world of hurt.

it does not take much to rebuild the box if the insides are worn out.

The expense is with the hoses and compressor and condensor, and evaporator, there are some parts that are not reproduced in the system so if you ever sold everything it would be really hard to find again.

I helped a guy on VMF with a 72 coupe that wanted to restore his A/C system as it was completely gutted because somebody else removed it to install in a mach 1, so far no happy endings he can't find what he needs.

Now i went through a complete A/C replacement on a 72. I started with a complete A/C system that held freon. The system did not work and what i thought would be a simple restoration ended up a complete system replacement including the Box and fan under the dash.

i easily spent 4000$ replacing everything the box alone was like 1000$, that was for a used box in decent shape that needed to be gutted and rebuilt from the ground up.

now i have yet to actually make mine blow cold, i have the system vacuumed and it seems to hold pressure but i never got around to filling it with oil and freon and trying it out.

if your system does actually work i would not touch it, leave it installed, and thank it when its 97 degrees out and you have the top up.

now you could get a light weight compressor and take about 40 pounds off the front end. this newer style compressor is really popular with my mustang club members, this allows you to lose some weight and maintain the A/C system.

my recommendation is if the system is operational leave it alone.

if it does not work, first figure out what isn't working, if its over a set budget you can think about striping it off the car, but i would never sell it for quick cash, anything you take off needs to be stored for the future.

I bought my car with the A/C already taken off, but all the parts were included with the car. I'm all about power so I never reinstalled it, but if that wasn't my main goal, I def would have the A/C. The car is like an oven in the southern sun.

If money is not an object, I believe Classic Auto Air makes an "A/C upgrade" kit which includes a new Sanden compressor, new evap and condensor, lines etc.. to upgrade cars originally equipped with air to new modern components.

Perhaps you can have a/c while reducing weight and parasitic HP loss.

All it takes is money.

I gave up on power when the cops started taking the lead out of my foot through my wallet. Some how they were always able to pick out ol' yeller from the crowd of povs. I put the entire system back on and am waiting for a hot summer day to try it out...

MVC-127F.JPG

I have ac in mine and it works, its nice to have when you get tired of the heat. Especially south florida summers. Also when it rains in the summer it makes the car driveable. What would you do in the rain in a convertible? If you crack the window to get ventilation all the water runs into your pants since their are no rain gutters on the canvas top.

I'm of two minds here.

On one hand, I have a Jeep CJ-7 that came with factory air and a hard top. I'm on the firm belief that Jeeps have soft tops for sudden inclement weather, and hard tops for colder climates and/or times of the year. If I'm driving the Jeep without the hard top and doors, then the soft top is laid down. Why would I need factory air? When the top's on, it's too cold for A/C, and otherwise... well... that's why you have a Jeep with a removable roof and doors.

On the other hand, my Mach 1 didn't come with A/C, and I will be installing a Classic Auto Air system when the time is right (i.e. car is running). It's hot as a bear in West Texas, and A/C is a must 10 months out of the year. With the plans I have for my engine, the parasitic drag of the A/C compressor when it's running won't be an issue.

I'd say keep it on and make sure it works. When the A/C is off, it's just another pulley free-wheeling with hardly any drag whatsoever.

Thanks for the great advice, experiences, and food for thought, everyone. That's why this forum is so great.

I'm gonna see if it works, and then go from there.

Thanks for the pic, Dearborn! That's exactly how my engine is set up right now, and I really like your treatment. I'm pretty sure I'll keep the a/c, because it doesn't look bad at all.

Doc

Back