Battery Relocation To Trunk- Parts List

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
I would like to know what I need to buy, and what I need to tear out, and what I need to drill out to relocate my battery to the trunk.

And, once I get it in the trunk, what do I need to keep it there?

Are there any concerns regarding venting/rusting?

Photos? I go to a few Mustang shows, but I don't recall anyone showing off their battery in the trunk.

Maybe this is just a bad idea. But, I figure it will keep me from loading up my trunk with used parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, my car is in the shop so I can't take pictures!!! My battery is in the trunk on the passenger side (unfortunately, where the spare tire mounts). It's in a battery case that is bolted to the trunk floor; the cables are routed down to the underside of the car, and runs forward to the engine bay. The cables are enclosed in a flexible wire loom, but I'm going to PROBABLY reroute the cables inside the car and through the trough at the bottom of the door sill (if the cables aren't too big, I have to measure). If I can't go that route I'm going to better secure the cables and protect them with some type of metal cover. No kits for these, though. All fabrication.

Thanks....

I was wondering what the cable size is?

Are there 2 cables, or is the battery just grounded to the frame?

I was always curious about the gas...must be vented out the bottom I would think.

I would like to know what I need to buy, and what I need to tear out, and what I need to drill out to relocate my battery to the trunk.

And, once I get it in the trunk, what do I need to keep it there?

Are there any concerns regarding venting/rusting?

Photos? I go to a few Mustang shows, but I don't recall anyone showing off their battery in the trunk.

Maybe this is just a bad idea. But, I figure it will keep me from loading up my trunk with used parts.
It's not a bad idea..you want the battery on the passenger side as far back as possible..I used the Jegs kit..http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/10275/10002/-1

I ran the cable through the passenger compartment under the door sill ..through the firewall..ALL PASS THROUGHS MUST HAVE A GROMMET !!! I also sheathed the cable..You should also have have a quick disconnect..(I still need to wire mine in) I than used a distribution box mounted on the rad support to feed everything else..You also want to secure the cable with rubber lined clamp downs..

100_3551.JPG100_3553.JPG100_3554.JPG100_3556.JPG100_3557.JPG100_3558.JPG

It's not a bad idea..you want the battery on the passenger side as far back as possible..
Who do you think I am? I know a Chevy when I see one!!!

Thanks so much for the photos.

For the record, we still don't have pictures of a battery in the trunk of a Mustang.

For the record, we still don't have pictures of a battery in the trunk of a Mustang.
Thats the same exact way I'm going to do it in my stang..The only difference is it will be hidden by the trunk interior panels I fabricate.

Forgot all about AGM. Didn't know they made AGM batteries for automotive applications. I purchased AGM batteries for solar panels and although we used them in the forklift, we were advised against using them in the company trucks.

However, based on your comment, I checked(trust but verify)and they do make AGM for automotive applications.

For those unaware, AGM batteries used small glass beads which have absorbed electrolyte in them. As a result there is no liquid to spill or leak, they can be mounted in any position, they do not freeze until like -40F, and they hold a charge forever. Most UPS systems employ AGM batteries.

AGM batteries do not leak, but under some circumstances they can vent gas such as in overcharging. They typically do have a vent cap which will pop open if this occurs. So the battery would still have to be vented.

Great Suggestion.

That's correct on the Optima. Different construction but the same principle, mount anywhere on any angle.
Well it looks like I am the only STANG to have my battery in the trunk Im just not too good with pictures. Ingredients would include battery , battery box, frame etc, short ground wire to body and 0 guage wire up to solenoid and presto you are ready to roll! If I can get some help with pictures I will post soon this is on my M code Mach!;)

Back