Distributor and Ignition Info Thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkelley

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1

• 351C-4V "Q-Code"
• Cammed, Hooker Longtubes, Edelbrock Manifold, Holley 600CFM, Glasspacks, Unknown Gears
• C4 Auto
Well, I was trying to keep from spending money on a new distributor but after trying to put new points in mine I think I'm ready to bite the bullet. I've got an old Accel dual point right now. Tried replacing the points on it but since it's been discontinued for over 25 years, parts are hard to come by. Spent $50 on some new points that the guy from Accel said may or may not work and when I put them in it wouldn't even get a spark. Not sure if they aren't adjusted right or what but I'm definitely not getting any spark with them.

So, I was just wondering what would be a good distributor. I want to get away from the whole old school points crap but I also don't want to break the bank. Main problem is I don't really know what to look for.

Would this be a good one?

Mallory Unilite Distributor

or

MSD Billet and Pro-Billet Distributor

And what would I need for a coil?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the msd billet distributor and it works great. You have to use one of their ignition boxes for it to work though. I used one of their blaster 2 coils also.

I'm sure their are way more cost efficient ignition systems though.

I went to the local pick a part junkyard and grabbed a Duraspark off a 460 in a Lincoln. You can use the OE control box or maybe find an old Motorsports MSD box. The Original control box is probably the easiest. When you grab the distributor you can grab the harness and box.

My dad was saying we could probably go to the junk yard and grab one. I just don't want to get one and be back in the same situation I'm in now. I want to get something that will bolt up and go without me having to deal with it. The one I have now was seemingly fine, car started and everything. It would just pop a little, so I figured I'd put a new set of points in to see if it would help. Now I can't even get the car to start. Tried putting the old points back it and it still doesn't get any spark.

What is the point gap set at? Are the points opening?
They came pre-set (don't know what to, didn't even look like you could adjust them) and yes they were opening.

Call Scotty at Reincarnation and tell him your combo and get a custom curved Duraspark for cheap.

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_product_information1.html
I was just planning on getting one of these.

650-4756701.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mallory/650/4756701/10002/-1

Would a Duraspark be better? Looks like it would be cheaper.

Edit: I sent Scotty an email.

The points should have slots where they screw down to the plate. This is how you adjust them to to the high side of the distributor cam.I would go with the duraspark before the mallory [i haven't had very good luck with anything mallory] plus the duraspark is a very good distributor.

The points should have slots where they screw down to the plate. This is how you adjust them to to the high side of the distributor cam.
I know, I did the whole match book cover thing there and everything and it still won't fire. I'm too frustrated to do anything else with this old distributor so I'm just gonna save up and get a Duraspark.

you could also get a Petronix Ignitor II module that fits in your stock distributor for under 100$.It installs in about 20min.
Im glad that I wasn't the first to breach the Pertronix bit. But I installed the Ignitor III and the matching coil as well and Im impressed so far.

you could also get a Petronix Ignitor II module that fits in your stock distributor for under 100$.It installs in about 20min.
Im glad that I wasn't the first to breach the Pertronix bit. But I installed the Ignitor III and the matching coil as well and Im impressed so far.
I bought a billet distributor from petronix but have to send it back. The ignitor III module in it is not working correctly, so I reinstalled the original with my ignitor II in and it works great.

I can put a Petronix in the distributor I have now? Or do I need the stock one?

It says "Replacement module for Flame-Thrower Billet distributors only." in the description, so would I be able to throw that in my Accel? And what would I need for a coil? Would I need a control box with that?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm learning all this stuff as I go.

Back