• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

351C 4v Passenger Exhaust Manifold

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
Looking to rent or to buy.

I need one of these to break in my motor. Apparently using a new set of coated headers for break in is frowned upon.

I will be gentle...as is my nature.

James -

I can appreciate one being "anal" but my limited mechanical engineering knowledge begs to ask "how much difference can that make"? I can't imagine professional builders bolting a set of 4V exhaust manifolds onto the newly rebuilt motor, delivering it to the owner and saying, "make sure you bring it back after 200 miles so we can put the headers on." :huh:

:)

James -

I can appreciate one being "anal" but my limited mechanical engineering knowledge begs to ask "how much difference can that make"? I can't imagine professional builders bolting a set of 4V exhaust manifolds onto the newly rebuilt motor, delivering it to the owner and saying, "make sure you bring it back after 200 miles so we can put the headers on." :huh:

Actually, there is a "good" reason for this which I believe is explained pretty well in the attached link.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/support/knowledgebase.php?article=1

I think it is pretty common for most professional engine builders to utilize "regular" headers (or exhaust manifolds) when breaking in "new" engines.

BT

Run the headers- your engine is not a pro stock or heavily modified engine it wont melt the welds and will be in tune enough to be just fine. Look at it this way about 50% of all cars come with factory headers- from excursions, hondas, mustangs camaros, cadillacs, you get the picture all new engines most have specialty coatings! Your stang will love you for it. For what its worth I have been running headers on everything from 500 hp 427s to stock 289s for the last 35 years no problems!!! Go getcha some headers.

Good time to ask this, are 2 and 4 BBL factory exhaust manifolds different for the 351 C ?
Yes the ports are vastly different. The bolt holes will line up but that is all.

Good time to ask this, are 2 and 4 BBL factory exhaust manifolds different for the 351 C ?
Yes. In 2 regards. Exhaust port size, exhaust pipe size.

All 351C 4V heads(Boss, HO, CJ, quench, open) have the following exhaust port dimensions:

Heads: 1.75W x 2.16H MEASURED/Verified/DEAD ON RIGHT

Manifold Exhaust Ports: 1.75W x 2.16H (Measured by guy I bought them from...not in my hands)

Manifold Exhaust Diameter: NON Boss 2.25, Boss 2.50(Measured by guy I bought them from...not in my hands)

351 2V heads have the following dimensions:

Heads: 1.38W x 1.84W*

Manifold Exhaust Ports: Unknown

Manifold Exhaust Diameter: Unknown

I got the 4V head information from the heads sitting on my bench. I got the 2V numbers from here:

*http://www.7173mustangs.com/archive/index.php/thread-588.html

The 4V numbers in the link above don't match what I measure(1.75 x 2.00 in the link), and I am pretty sure(but don't know) that my heads are 1971 Quench Virgins. In defense of tnfastbk's post in the above link, the numbers he posted are the ones typically posted on other web sites. But I guess, no one ever bothered to measure. Not even the "experts" writing books on the subject.

Anyone want to actually measure their heads or manifolds and see what they come up with?

Run the headers-
Oh...you can bet you Mustang I am going to run headers. And, in all honesty, you are probably right about it not really harming the headers. But $600, I just want to be a little careful.

I often wonder about the cars coming off the line. In 1984 my wife was an engineer at the (puke puke puke) Camaro/Firebird line in Van Nuys. At the end of the line, those guys didn't brake in the cams. They fired up the engine, let it idle for 1 minute while they were checking all the accessories, then they peeled rubber out of the plant. I don't think they started the engines at the engine factory.

Guys like me that don't know the best way to seal an oil pan or the intake manifold off the top of our head(what the hell are we doing) are overly cautious in most every regard...and that is putting it mildly. I am like Doc. I don't mind doing the work at all. I like the learning and the pride of getting the work done.

But after I am done with major surgery, I don't want to have to go back in to see where I screwed up. I want to enjoy my work for YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS. A lot of you guys can take out a motor, rebuild it, and put it back in within a weekend and feel very comfortable turning that key on the new rebuild. Me, well I fret over every inch of cork and dab of sealant. Have your read our posts on distributors??? We are insane.

In any event, I figure it won't be too much trouble to take out the existing motor and trans(anyone looking for a 302?) and replace it with the just the 351 motor for break in. Then I'll remove it and add the transmission and put it back in with the headers....ah... headers.

James -

Actually, there is a "good" reason for this which I believe is explained pretty well in the attached link.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/support/knowledgebase.php?article=1

I think it is pretty common for most professional engine builders to utilize "regular" headers (or exhaust manifolds) when breaking in "new" engines.

BT
My main reason for wanting to use exhaust manifolds for break in would be the ease in which I could put the engine into my car. If I could break it in on an engine stand, I would use whatever was readily available.

But, since it is going to be mounted in my engine bay, I think manifolds are probably the quickest way to get the motor in and out...unless someone wants to break in a pair of headers for me!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The headers won't hurt the engine, the engine will hurt the ceramic coating during breakin. Apparently the fresh motor will make alot more heat than a normal running engine and will damage the coating. If you have any warranty on the coating it will be voided.

The headers won't hurt the engine, the engine will hurt the ceramic coating during breakin. Apparently the fresh motor will make alot more heat than a normal running engine and will damage the coating. If you have any warranty on the coating it will be voided.
Where is all this massive heat coming from? When a motor is loping along at 2 to 3 thousand rpm during breakin not much heat being generated. At 5 to 8 thousand rpm now you got some serious heat being generated. I would like some facts how running headers during break in is bad:huh: Ever had your engine run on a test stand after a rebuild, how about to dyno your engine? There is not a set of manifolds within 10 miles of the stand, they all say bring some headers!;)

Where is all this massive heat coming from? When a motor is loping along at 2 to 3 thousand rpm during breakin not much heat being generated. At 5 to 8 thousand rpm now you got some serious heat being generated. I would like some facts how running headers during break in is bad:huh: Ever had your engine run on a test stand after a rebuild, how about to dyno your engine? There is not a set of manifolds within 10 miles of the stand, they all say bring some headers!;)
I guess we can assume the engine will be perfectly tuned the first time it starts :rolleyes:. Your engine shop may just want to sell you a new set of ceramic headers, the ceramic coating needs to properly heat cycle to cure.. or else it will burn off or "stain". you do whatever you want though, but I think you are giving bad advice considering every header manufacturer will void your warranty if you break in a motor with coated headers.

I don't break in engines very often, but when I do, it is a 351C 4V.

I do not often believe the claim of aftermarket parts manufacturers...like I will gain 10 HP if I change the bolts in my oil covers. Or I can take .25 seconds off my 1/4 mile time if I change my headlights from factory to HID. Or, COAT YOUR HEADERS and decrease your underhood temperature by 200 degrees!!!

If my header manufacturer tells me not to put his brand new coated headers on my car during break in...I will do that. Is he covering his behind? Probably.

On the other hand, for those of you that don't believe breaking in a motor should have any affect on a coated header, this may be a great opportunity for you to make COATED HEADERS THAT ARE BUILT SO WELL THEY CAN WITHSTAND YOUR NEW MOTOR BREAK IN.

God Bless America.

I guess we can assume the engine will be perfectly tuned the first time it starts :rolleyes:. Your engine shop may just want to sell you a new set of ceramic headers, the ceramic coating needs to properly heat cycle to cure.. or else it will burn off or "stain". you do whatever you want though, but I think you are giving bad advice considering every header manufacturer will void your warranty if you break in a motor with coated headers.
I must admit that the coated headers that I will be using on my 545 will be my FIRST time using coated headers. Everything that I have read from the Manufacturer has cautioned not to use them for "break-in" of the new motor.

I also KNOW that on EVERY new engine I have witnessed at "Birth", the headers (non coated) have turned BRIGHT RED upon initial run-in. That is enough for me NOT to take the chance of burning off or "staining" these new expensive coated headers:).

...just my $.02.

BT

have a set, pulled off my engine. Haven't tried to sell cause 1 had been repaired before I got it. If I can fit them in priority mail flat rate boxes shipping won't be too bad. PM me what you think is fair if you are interested

for reference I also have the metal rings that clamp the h pipe on and the studs are in good shape. I also shot a pic of a 2v manifold next to a 4v manifold.

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

have a set, pulled off my engine. Haven't tried to sell cause 1 had been repaired before I got it. If I can fit them in priority mail flat rate boxes shipping won't be too bad. PM me what you think is fair if you are interested

for reference I also have the metal rings that clamp the h pipe on and the studs are in good shape. I also shot a pic of a 2v manifold next to a 4v manifold.
I kind of gave up here...have a drivers side on the way, and am dickering over a passenger's side that is pretty much like new for $40+ $15 shipping.

How much less would you take?

For my application, I don't mind a repaired manifold, as long as I know the condition at time of purchase because my intention is to use it only for break in.

I kind of gave up here...have a drivers side on the way, and am dickering over a passenger's side that is pretty much like new for $40+ $15 shipping.

I got the drivers side, also like new...makes me want to rethink headers.

How much less would you take?

PM me your mailing address and I'll send it to you. return it when done with actual shipping cost and we're good

if it should be damaged in any manner, just send me a picture and throw it away Nothing gets between me and my Hookers

Back