Exhaust Manifold Busted

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
351c 2v
Edelbrock 4bbl, Performer Intake
Ram-Air
Pertronix Electronic Ignition
My passenger side exhaust broke at the manifold and I am now in the market for a manifold on my passenger side (luckily that is all and not wheels, bumper, suspension) which I posted in the 'Want to buy' section.

This brings me to my question: I currently have dual exhaust off of manifolds, what kind of price am I looking at to get new exhaust run off of headers? Is this into the multi-k range? Is it even really noticeable/necessary? I'm just asking because if I'm going to spend the money to buy a used 40 year old manifold should I be considering something different.

Thanks for any input or advice you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Headers aren't that expensive at all. You can get a pair of Hooker Comp headers for $185. As far as the rest of the exhaust goes, it depends on what you want to do. Whether or not you want to run an X or H pipe, cats, type of mufflers, tips, et cetera. You could easily put a full exhaust on for under $500. If you do the work yourself, of course.

headers aren't expensive at all.

I guess it depends on what area you live in for the exhaust. I had a local exhaust shop run a couple 2.5" pipes and some flowmasters and It only cost $150.

I guess it depends on what area you live in for the exhaust. I had a local exhaust shop run a couple 2.5" pipes and some flowmasters and It only cost $150.
Was that from the headers back? And how long ago? A pair of mufflers alone will run you $100 to $150 these days.

Was that from the headers back? And how long ago? A pair of mufflers alone will run you $100 to $150 these days.
It was a few years ago and the price didn't include the mufflers. They were $70 each.

So total $240 from the headers all the way back.

I also gave up on headers MANY years ago. My pro street GTO had manifolds. My recommendation for anything except a racecar is manifolds. Too many leaks too much maintenance with headers. For a driver you will not notice a difference.

Just my nickel's worth.

Ok well Ill stick with the manifolds for now. I dont want to spend money on headers when Im not certain what I am planning on doing with the heads. Thanks for the input all.

As for a temp fix until I can put in the new manifold does anyone have any experience with the high temp "J-B weld" style expoxys? Im going to try and make what I have work since it really isnt going to make it any worse Id think. Ill get some pics up and let you all know how it turns out.

Ok well Ill stick with the manifolds for now. I dont want to spend money on headers when Im not certain what I am planning on doing with the heads. Thanks for the input all.

As for a temp fix until I can put in the new manifold does anyone have any experience with the high temp "J-B weld" style expoxys? Im going to try and make what I have work since it really isnt going to make it any worse Id think. Ill get some pics up and let you all know how it turns out.
Make sure you clean the areas up the best you can before applying the epoxy

Is it in 2 pieces or just cracked? My pass. side manifold was cracked and we brazed it closed. If you know a good welder it can be welded with nickel rod. Like above the key to any repair, it needs to be clean.

Well I wire brushed it pretty good, but in the end without having the manifold out and where I could brace it up there was no hope for this method.

The manifold is completely busted. It could be brazed, but I'd have to get it out to see what I could do. Ive never brazed pipe before.

Well I wire brushed it pretty good, but in the end without having the manifold out and where I could brace it up there was no hope for this method.

The manifold is completely busted. It could be brazed, but I'd have to get it out to see what I could do. Ive never brazed pipe before.
If you can get it out you could take it to a local machine shop or muffler shop. Or may be quicker to buy one from Don, you will have in in two days. And not worry about it being warped from the heat of repair.

Just emailed Don. I'm going to replace it but I will take the old one and see about getting it brazed. If it can be done reliably, it wouldn't hurt to have it around I suppose.

What engine/trans combo is it? There are many headers that would definitely improve power and lessen fuel consumption, and wouldn't be too expensive. Just something to think about, check out Summit for sure.

What engine/trans combo is it? There are many headers that would definitely improve power and lessen fuel consumption, and wouldn't be too expensive. Just something to think about, check out Summit for sure.
351C 2v stuck on an FMX. The only part not stock is the intake manifold and carb.

For now I am going to go with manifolds until I am sure where I want to go with my heads. Buying headers for this head pattern and wanting to switch later really doesn't make the most sense.

Look for a swap meet or maybe even Craigslist or fleabay.

Personally I'd move to headers. They will sound much better.

For now I am going to go with manifolds until I am sure where I want to go with my heads. Buying headers for this head pattern and wanting to switch later really doesn't make the most sense.
You'll probably pay more for one repro manifold than you would for a pair of headers. So, I'd suggest either getting your busted one fixed or looking for for a used one.

Back