BAd news?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok folks this morning I took a little trip ( 75 miles one way)in the car with my Uncle in his to a Ford dealer drive in car show. Well needless to say we played a little on the way up there. When we got there he said he noticed what looked like oil smoke when I would let off the gas????????? So when we got back to the garage my cousin drove the GF's Saturn home for me. He was following me and again said that when I shifted gears it would smoke. As most no this is a stroked 351c to 408. The rings are file fit ones, but with this stroker kit the wrist pin actually goes through the bottom oil groove. There is a bottom spacer ring that goes in the groove to make it a solid groove again. When I wipe the exhaust with a rag it looks like a black soot. Uncle is thinking on it so thought I would throw it out there. The motor is ALL new with all forged internals. Prob less than 700 miles, oil has already been changed once.

Soot can indicate a rich condition. You might check your plugs to see if they are also sooty. If it is a rich condition they should all be the same.

Yeah have to wait on the garage to clear out to start checking things. The carb has had nothing done to it except for the bowl levels set. It was bolted on from the box. Is there a chart or something that states what jets carbs come with?

Ohh yes..Them holley's not so out of the box freindly:( " you are runing a holley double pumper right?"..I got a holley for my stang..And my freind knows them holleys better than anyone i know..He told me..Even with my 750 that should be about perfict...that we have to get a jet kit for it...with some diffrent sizes and go up or down a size ...counts how rich or lean she runs....he said we mite luck out and be perfict..But a good chance we will have to try a size up he thinks for my car and build.

http://www.holley.com/36-181.asp I think he told me i had to get the hole kit...and cant just get the one or 2 jets i need...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a double pumper then you have two accel pumps dumping gas in when you 'step on it'. Holley's also tend to run a little rich out of the box (makes them work easier on more cars) so you are probably looking at rich not oil.

Oil smoke is grey. You can smell the difference. If it is getting past your rings it will smoke even at idle, not just when you stomp on it.

Roy, Where there any fitment problems with intake manifold? The reason I ask is you said it smokes when you back off the accelerator. When you do this manifold vacuum goes high and if the intake to head seal is not 100% it can pull oil/oil vapor out of the lifter galley. A similar thing can happen if the valve stem seals are faulty. Just some ideas. Chuck

Roy, Where there any fitment problems with intake manifold? The reason I ask is you said it smokes when you back off the accelerator. When you do this manifold vacuum goes high and if the intake to head seal is not 100% it can pull oil/oil vapor out of the lifter galley. A similar thing can happen if the valve stem seals are faulty. Just some ideas. Chuck
Just seems to do it while driving, but really have not noticed during warm up but then I am usually in the car. We will look at it soon and get back with you. Now the intake fit well but you never know with these new fangled aluminum heads, like I said till we have a chance to look at it we will not know which way to look futher at.

x2

Take a look as the spark plugs. The oil support ring should not be an issue.

OK folks pulled the plugs out this morning and they all looked like S*&^ and smelled heavily of gas. Cleaned them with the fancy spark plug sand blaster my uncle has and reinstalled them. Did not have a chance to do much else as my uncle is dealing with a very sick wife. So I finished up and did the proper thing. Drove the thing hard and enjoyed every minute of it. Think I may need to readjust my CAlTracs still getting wheel hop all the way through first and half way through second till it settles down to a nice spin. Oh and If you carry anything in the little map light box, it will find the back seat on a hard launch.

2012-04-28_10-34-48_673.jpg

I might also add, if your newly rebuilt engine car is using oil, but you can't see it leaking or burning, intake seal can be the cause.

Are you running a PCV valve or other type of crankcase evac system? Excessive pressure can push oil past the valve seals as well. Pull the carb and look in all the ports for oil residue. If all is clean there, the intake is likely sealed properly. Next, I'd pull a valve cover and try to visually inspect the valve seals. If you can, fill cylinder with compressed air and pop a retainer off to get a good look at the seal and underside of the retainer.

OK folks pulled the plugs out this morning and they all looked like S*&^ and smelled heavily of gas. Cleaned them with the fancy spark plug sand blaster my uncle has and reinstalled them. Did not have a chance to do much else as my uncle is dealing with a very sick wife. So I finished up and did the proper thing. Drove the thing hard and enjoyed every minute of it. Think I may need to readjust my CAlTracs still getting wheel hop all the way through first and half way through second till it settles down to a nice spin. Oh and If you carry anything in the little map light box, it will find the back seat on a hard launch.
You may want to get a handle on the tune before you drive the car much more. Does your oil smell like gas? All that gas is washing down your cylinders causing premature wear.

What kind of carb is it again?

Back