Leaf Springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Peetz

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1
As i will be getting my exhaust kit this coming week i have been mulling over new leaf springs for the rear. I currently have air shocks in the rear and want to get rid of them.

I know one member here(don't remember who) touts the eaton springs. I have looked at them and priced them but ouch!

I am looking at this kit with 4 1/2 standard leafs. http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/images/P/stdkitlg-13.jpg

As sometimes when i hit a big bump the front bottoms out it wouldn't hurt to do something with the front. I think my front suspension is a little weak as i only have 14" rims on the car and it is all original suspension.

What do you guys think???

I guess i should ask him. I poked around on his site and didn't see too much but he does pull things out of nowhere. If Don has it i will buy from him.

As i will be getting my exhaust kit this coming week i have been mulling over new leaf springs for the rear. I currently have air shocks in the rear and want to get rid of them.

I know one member here(don't remember who) touts the eaton springs. I have looked at them and priced them but ouch!

I am looking at this kit with 4 1/2 standard leafs. http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/images/P/stdkitlg-13.jpg

As sometimes when i hit a big bump the front bottoms out it wouldn't hurt to do something with the front. I think my front suspension is a little weak as i only have 14" rims on the car and it is all original suspension.

Matt,

Dont skimp on rear leafs..Eatons..Street or track..or Total control products..great idea getting rid of the rear air shocks..Before you do anything you really need to decide where your going susp & handling wise with the car..(all stock replacement or upgrading the tires wheels etc ) Knowing that info will allow you to get the correct matched components to make the total package..In other words you don't want to mismatch components.

I guess it probably goes along with my other thread on rear end swaps. Right now the car as it sits is an awesome cruiser. Really enjoy it but still want that " stomp on the gas and your head flips back". I am planning on upgrading to 15's on wheels. Probably 8's or 10's on the rear. I plan to do some engine modifications to get up into the 300 horsepower range within the year.

This is why this site is the best. The opinions of all the members gets you the best of what you are seeking.

The front-end of my car also used to bottom out -- had something to do with speed and road surface. In my case the front coil springs were so worn out it was a typical driving experience -- didn't like it. The car sits much better after replacing the springs. Do you have a picture of how low your front end is off the ground?

I guess it probably goes along with my other thread on rear end swaps. Right now the car as it sits is an awesome cruiser. Really enjoy it but still want that " stomp on the gas and your head flips back". I am planning on upgrading to 15's on wheels. Probably 8's or 10's on the rear. I plan to do some engine modifications to get up into the 300 horsepower range within the year.

This is why this site is the best. The opinions of all the members gets you the best of what you are seeking.
So Basically stock..cruising..handling..So here's what I'm thinking for the front. http://www.streetortrack.com/1968-70-Mustang-front-suspension-kit-Stage-3-pr-24095.html

Although it says 1970 If you call Shaun (owner of sot) he will modify the components for our year..I would option for the roller perches..1-1/8" frt sway bar..performance frt springs..Keep the rubber for the spring insulators..the total price comes to $787.00. I would then go with the bilstein shocks frt & rear street valving. http://www.streetortrack.com/Bilstein-front-shock-for-71-73-Mustang-Street-valving-pr-24513.html For the rear leafs here's my choice http://www.streetortrack.com/4.5-Mid-Eye-Leaf-Spring-for-1964-73-Mustang-pr-22225.html It's important to speak to Shaun to tell him all the specs on the car (motor size..tranny..a/c..etc) This way he will match the correct front springs for you..The only other things you need are all new bushings for the strut rods (stay stock rubber !!!) & not sure if your car has a rear sway bar. Adding up all the above minus the rear sway bar & strut rod bushings your right at $1380.00...I think thats a pretty good fair price considering the quality of all the components plus the upgrades . Matt, I've done a bunch of susp upgrades to many cars over the years..It sucks to buy stuff twice. You may also be able to get a discount from Shaun if you mention your a member here & say I sent you..

I should have pointed out that when I replaced the springs the lower spring perches were also replaced. I also replaced the stock front sway bar with the 1 1/8" and added 3/4" rear.

So Basically stock..cruising..handling..So here's what I'm thinking for the front. http://www.streetortrack.com/1968-70-Mustang-front-suspension-kit-Stage-3-pr-24095.html

Although it says 1970 If you call Shaun (owner of sot) he will modify the components for our year..I would option for the roller perches..1-1/8" frt sway bar..performance frt springs..Keep the rubber for the spring insulators..the total price comes to $787.00. I would then go with the bilstein shocks frt & rear street valving. http://www.streetortrack.com/Bilstein-front-shock-for-71-73-Mustang-Street-valving-pr-24513.html For the rear leafs here's my choice http://www.streetortrack.com/4.5-Mid-Eye-Leaf-Spring-for-1964-73-Mustang-pr-22225.html It's important to speak to Shaun to tell him all the specs on the car (motor size..tranny..a/c..etc) This way he will match the correct front springs for you..The only other things you need are all new bushings for the strut rods (stay stock rubber !!!) & not sure if your car has a rear sway bar. Adding up all the above minus the rear sway bar & strut rod bushings your right at $1380.00...I think thats a pretty good fair price considering the quality of all the components plus the upgrades . Matt, I've done a bunch of susp upgrades to many cars over the years..It sucks to buy stuff twice. You may also be able to get a discount from Shaun if you mention your a member here & say I sent you..
Except the Bilsteins... looks allot like the kits mustangs plus sells.

Except the Bilsteins... looks allot like the kits mustangs plus sells.
Umm took at look at what they have to offer..I'm not impressed..it's all grab a trak stuff...Plus all polyurethane bushings which I would only recommend for for a pure track car.. Nothing to write home to mom about..Their closest kit would come to 1167.95.. I like the fact of dealing with the owner of a company (sot) who has enormous experience designing..racing..& proven results with his products. He's always willing to talk or answer your questions..If I call mustangs plus do I just get some kid behind the counter to take my order ? Or someone with years of experience to answer my questions & guide me to the correct products for my application. I see mustangs plus has a racing team too but can't seem to find any results for them..There are plenty of people who are quite happy with grab a trak stuff & I've seen plenty of people who weren't happy with it..Guess it's like anything else..Some people like matco for tools..some craftsman..some snap on..some harbor freight..depends on your budget, needs, & how important service after the sale is.

Well Matt here's my 2 cents. I'm not sure of your final intent but it sounds like your looking for a snappy cruiser. So I personally wouldn't waste alot of money on aftermarket products if your looking at 300 or so horse. I feel you would have what you want if you stay with the factory type 5 leaf and a good set of shocks. As FAST E used to say he has had and raced these cars for years, Big block and small block and never needed anything more than the 5 leaf. As far as the front I'd say you are weak, it shouldn't easily bottom out. For what it's worth I have done 2 different simulated dyno's for my engine, and they came out at 516 and 524 hp. And am staying 5 leaf and maybe cal trac traction bars. GOOD LUCK

Thanks all. Will look into everything. I will probably hold off on the front till i make up my mind on engine. Do i wanna build up the 302 in it or build up my cleveland sitting in my shop. If i go the cleveland route i want to make sure i get the right set up for that motor or will be doing it all over again.

I do know i want to do the rear though.

I think EVERYONE would agree, the 71-73 Mustangs had rear leaf springs that began sagging after 6 months.

I have replaced rear leaf springs in 3 cars:

1973 Mustang- Eaton. Outstanding. Perfect Stance.

1970 XR7 Convertible. Eaton. Outstanding. Perfect Stance.

1970 XR7 Vinyl Top. Eaton. Outstanding. Perfect Stance.

1973 Mustang- unknown. Garbage, piece of crap, what a waste.

You think I would have learned my lesson, but I tried to be a little cheap on the last Mustang, and bought my springs from a local SoCal Mustang vendor for convenience and to save a few bucks.(Not Ohio Mustang) Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

The rear springs have to be right. They are difficult to adjust unless you like that SHACKLE HANGING OUT THE BACK look.

Also, a weak rear spring takes bite away from the front. Our cars are VERY TIGHT to begin with, and a stronger rear spring really makes a big difference in the handling.

Hello Matt,

According a to handling book that I have read, it is recommended for street use to replace your leaf springs with what was original to the car. That includes accessories on the car that determines the weight of car. That is why Eaton Springs were recommended. The leaf springs are designed to support the vehicle. To improve the handling, it is recommended to install a one inch front sway bar and a 3/4 in the rear plus some good gas shocks. I would recommend reading the Eaton site concerning springs.

Thank You!

Latest posts

Back