Sport Mirror Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitssjca

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
1972 Mustang Mach 1
As you can imagine my 40 year old mirrors are not looking very good. Is there a replacement made? Has anyone taken one to a glass vendor for repair?

It looks like the mirror is glued down. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have seen mirror glass on ebay a while back marked as "new". Not sure if that meant NOS or reproduction.

There was a guy on ProTouring.com who did replace his with a cut down convex mirror. I think he had a stained glass shop cut it down.
Wow. THAT IS AN OUTSTANDING UPGRADE...I can't believe I didn't think of it. This is a no brainer. I have mirrors cut rather regularly. I bet a mirror shop would do this cheaper than you might think.

I did not see a mirror on our favorite vendor's web site, Ohio Mustang, but there is a replacement from WEST COAST COUGAR:

yhst-11089400041767_2204_365724821

and this is what the inside of our side mirrors looks like:

op93c2.jpg

I guess we either cut out the mount from the mirror to mount to the convex, or just mount the convex to the front of the mirror.

Maybe our good friend at Ohio Mustang could start a thread to get 10 or 20 of us to do a mass buy(because those always work so well). I think a small convex on the driver side, and a larger on the passenger would be the ticket.

If anyone has a spare passenger mirror, I can take it to my mirror guy and see what he says.

Maybe a heat gun will get the mirror to release from the mount. I've been thinking about converting the mirrors to electronically adjusted. Intrepid mirrors from the 90's are about the same size housings.
That isn't an issue for me. No one dares drive my car but me.

In fact, my wife tried to take my car once, but all the mirrors had worn the adjustments to my sweet spot. So when she tried to adjust them, they just fell back to my sweet spot.

Best option I never ordered.

Maybe a heat gun will get the mirror to release from the mount. I've been thinking about converting the mirrors to electronically adjusted. Intrepid mirrors from the 90's are about the same size housings.
I tried the heat gun trick, very carefully, a little at a time, trying to heat it evenly, all of a sudden a click, and it was cracked in about 3 directions. Made it easy to tighten it up with the mirror out of the way, though, so I could see what needed to be done. The back side of the mirror has to be pressed (or hammered) slightly towards the front to get some tension on the spring steel piece underneath the mirror. Going to pick-a-part this week end to see if I can find a convex mirror that is close.

About having a convex mirror glued onto the flat mirror, it will work, I had that done do a different car many years ago.

Hey James - I doubt we can find any NOS or OEM replacement mirrors, and Don at OMS doesn't include USED parts on his website. If anyone is looking for a replacement mirror, a PM or post to his Sponsor thread might turn up something worthwhile.

The back side of the mirror has to be pressed (or hammered) slightly towards the front to get some tension on the spring steel piece underneath the mirror. Going to pick-a-part this week end to see if I can find a convex mirror that is close.
Don't quite understand what needs to be done to tighten up the mirror...

The back side of the mirror has to be pressed (or hammered) slightly towards the front to get some tension on the spring steel piece underneath the mirror. Going to pick-a-part this week end to see if I can find a convex mirror that is close.
Don't quite understand what needs to be done to tighten up the mirror...
The back of the mirror assembly, where the ball/socket is, needs to be pressed or hammered towards the mirror (see mirror-1). Tension against the ball comes from a 3-fingered piece of spring steel on the inside of the mirror assembly, behind the mirror (see mirror-2). The only way to increase the tension is to move the back of the ball socket closer to the spring.

mirror-1.jpg

mirror-2.jpg

The back of the mirror assembly, where the ball/socket is, needs to be pressed or hammered towards the mirror (see mirror-1). Tension against the ball comes from a 3-fingered piece of spring steel on the inside of the mirror assembly, behind the mirror (see mirror-2). The only way to increase the tension is to move the back of the ball socket closer to the spring.
light+bulb+idea.jpg

Great find and not a bad price.

I wonder how easily the mirror can be removed, such as temporaily remove for a show?

Here is a quote from the listing: The mirror glass can be installed directly over the original mirror glass. This will allow for removal of the convex glass if you want to return the Sports mirror back to its original state.

Great find and not a bad price.

I wonder how easily the mirror can be removed, such as temporaily remove for a show?

Here is a quote from the listing: The mirror glass can be installed directly over the original mirror glass. This will allow for removal of the convex glass if you want to return the Sports mirror back to its original state.
OK guys, I'll be the guinea pig, I ordered one, I'll let you know how well it works and if it's as easy to remove as they say. Standard shipping $13.25 is almost as much as the $14.95 mirror, must be well packaged.

Jim

I really hope this mirror lives up, it will help me greatly when i drive my car.
I agree, won't have to ask the wife to check the right lane before I pull into it. Normally what I get when I ask if the right lane is clear: "I think so, yeah looks like it, wait, wait, yeahhh kinda looks OK, what are you doing ...why did you wait??? now a car is coming!"

I hope the mirror helps, I really do.

Jim

Back