Car Show Hairshirt

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danoreilly

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 351C 4V
02 Deluxe Convertible
67 Fairlane GT 390
No, this ain't about my clothes...:D

Here's the thing: I think it really SUCKS to lose at a car show to the guy who went out and paid big bucks for a restored car, while those of who spent (literally) years and probably about the same - or more - bucks actually bringing our ride back to life.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's great if you can go out and buy a restored car. Everybody has their tastes, and so I don't begrudge that to anybody. To me, 1/2 the fun is taking the rust-bucket I start out with, and turn out a vehicle that looks like it just came out of the factory. Bloody knuckles, grease stains on my pants and shirts, learning the proper swear words appropriate to the current problem, the whole 9 yards. That's FUN to me!

If you have the wherewithal to buy a done car, or you just don't like the hassles of building it, that's not a problem with me. But I would really like to see shows at least acknowledge there's a difference. Either way, you have great cars, and that's the whole purpose of the exercise. But to put in years of work to lose to the guy with the bigger checkbook, well, it just rubs me the wrong way.

For example: cars that show up at a show with painted-on stripes, while the "purist" took the time to research and install the real stripe as Ford intended. And time and again, I've seen that paint cost the purist a trophy.

Heck, I don't know if there's a solution. Maybe, as my wife occasionally claims, I'm fully of cow****. And I hate to sound petulant, as well. But at least I've finally said my piece! :rolleyes:

For example: cars that show up at a show with painted-on stripes, while the "purist" took the time to research and install the real stripe as Ford intended. And time and again, I've seen that paint cost the purist a trophy.

So let me get this straight, since I had my stripes painted on and you did not that makes mine less work? Trust me it took a lot more time for my painter, yeah who I paid, an helluva a lot longer to mask and paint them than it takes to lay tape stripes down. To me it had nothing to do with the size of my check book but what I WANTED. But you are right if thats the case I'm no "PURIST" and by the way, I bought the TAPE stripes for my car to use as templates. So yes they are correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
But Roy, your car is modded. Dan's is a concours resto. I think that's the difference. Lots of car shows (at least that I've seen) will lump our cars in together without regard to the style or type of restoration. At least that's what I got from Dan's post.

But Roy, your car is modded. Dan's is a concours resto. I think that's the difference. Lots of car shows (at least that I've seen) will lump our cars in together without regard to the style or type of restoration. At least that's what I got from Dan's post.
No where in there does it talk about The diff classes of cars. Just checkbooks and stripes

I have seen this many times. Because most shows only have a limited number of 71-3 cars competing, it usually comes down to 'popular vote' to determine a winner.

I have seen extremely nice, original cars loose to heavily modded cars. It all comes down to the crowd in attendance. Can you imagine the perfectly restored Model T at a car show these days? If that guy is expecting a trophy at a popular vote show - he will probably leave disappointed. Even at an early Ford V8 show, a shiney rodded 'glass 32 Vicky will beat him every time.

When all this settles out - you must simply enjoy what you have (or in my case - what you are working hard to have). Plenty will appreciate your efforts. For all the others - who cares? I see so many cars on this site that I would be thrilled to own. Many of them are completely disassembled and are in-process of being made road-ready.

I definitely tend to be more of a purist. But build YOUR car like YOU want it. This goes for everyone. And as you do - when you need some encouragement or some good advice from someone who has already BEEN THERE, this site offers much with proud owners of modded, originals and in-between who are happy to help!

And about whether you do it yourself or have someone do the work >>>

Whether you invest by working on your car or working to have the money to have the car you want - either way an investment was made.

Respectfully - Ray

I have never been a real big car show guy myself, although I did attended a hometown one last week, it was low key though.

Big ones like Good Guys, nah....I'll roll through on my way to, or from the swap meet, just to see if there are any nasty Mustangs that catch my eye. But the thing that keeps me away is the competition part of it. There are a lot of politics involved, a lot of, he has this, that one doesn't have that...Whatever???

It's a car, drive it, beat the hell out of it, enjoy it, let other people enjoy it.... it's a car, meant to be driven.

When they start giving awards, I think that's a travesty. Except for maybe people's choice, that's kind of cool.

Here in Cali, I get tired of seeing $140,000 muscle cars. That's a joke to me, because I know how to build a car and think that's ridiculous. But a lot of people don't, or don't have the time, but do have the money.

So if some dude more fortunate then myself in the wallet, finds a car he likes and pays someone else to build it, what's the big deal? I have a problem with the builder that charges $140K and can still sleep at night, but people pay it and he makes a living here in the good ole US of A. So what's the harm?

I have issue when that buyer then takes the car and puts it on a trailer, then shows it and get's all competitive with the show circuit like it's Mrs America or something...

If I were king of car shows, I would abolish all trailer queens and only allow cars that are driven regardless if who built it. Shown and judged by how many miles it has on it, how well it runs, how big of a smoke show it puts on and most important, how cool the owner is..end of story!

Man, now I'm all riled?????

No, this ain't about my clothes...:D

Here's the thing: I think it really SUCKS to lose at a car show to the guy who went out and paid big bucks for a restored car, while those of who spent (literally) years and probably about the same - or more - bucks actually bringing our ride back to life.
I know for sure I've got more money invested in mine than it would cost to buy one in better shape...but like you Dan I bought the car as a hobbie and enjoy fixing it up. As a shade tree mechanic and handyman I do what ever I can myself on the car and take it the people who have the equipement and know how to use it for the more difficult tasks. This site has been a great resource for me in helping me do if right the first time. There has been times I've struggled with keeping it original and recently did finally break down and replace my leaky Autolite 4300 with a new Edelbrock carb and ignitor to replace the points.

Go buy yourself a trophy, engrave it with whatever you want.

Hell, if you put PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS D'ELEGANCE on it, who the hell is going to know?

Buy yourself 3 trophies.

Hell, if you put PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS D'ELEGANCE on it, who the hell is going to know?

Buy yourself 3 trophies.
Did you just say that with three chics flanking you while wearing a smoking jacket and sipping some 30 yr old scotch??

Buy yourself 3 trophies.
Did you just say that with three chics flanking you while wearing a smoking jacket and sipping some 30 yr old scotch??
No...but I could have.

I've seen what you guys are talking about where the guy with big bucks rolls in to a show with his trailer queen didn't do any of the work himself..& gets put in the wrong class walks home with all the trophy's..Then the poor guy who spent years busting his butt tons of sweat equity in his restoration goes home with nothing.. I think most of this problem stems from the show promoters not having enough classes ..Or not really caring about putting grouping cars correctly..That being said the hobby is really diverse & of course at a show your going to see all types of hobbyists..from the backyard guy who did everything on his car up to the uber rich who do nothing on their cars. For me car shows are about checking out whats out there..getting new ideas & being able to appreciate that someone has saved a piece of our country's deep rooted motoring history. It makes no difference weather the owner did the work himself or paid to have it done (The owner has still restored a car or bought a restored car to preserve) My approach when I show my Camaro has been not to sweat the small stuff..weather I win or lose doesn't mean that much..I try to meet new people..shoot the shit..Be with like mined people..show case my work, talent & just spend a nice day out with the family (I usually take my kids & wife) The biggest personal satisfaction for me comes from all the compliments..car shows are a lot of fun & it is what you make it to be..If you get caught up in the competitive side so be it THAT'S YOUR CUP OF TEA..for others like me it's great day out spending time with the family..so get out there..meet new people..enjoy yourself..& don't stress out to much about others & their approach..This is AMERICA & freedom of choice is what it's all about !

... But the thing that keeps me away is the competition part of it.

If I were king of car shows, I would abolish all trailer queens and only allow cars that are driven regardless if who built it. Shown and judged by how many miles it has on it, how well it runs, how big of a smoke show it puts on and most important, how cool the owner is..end of story!
I couldn't agree more!

I don't know how you would ever be able to tell the extent to which someone worked on his car.

And, what level? I don't do paint. But I can sand and fill. I can't sew my upholstery, but I can take out my seats. I can't loom a rug, but I can pull out my carpet.

Maybe every car show entrant should qualify by being certified. You go to a car show certifier, and you are given 10 minutes to change a tire and replace that passenger side spark plug that is a pain in the rear. That get's you to level 1.

If you can replace your disc brakes and repack your bearing that gets you to level 2.

If you can degree a cam, that gets you to level 3.

And if you want a level 4, you have to accomplish all 3 tasks after finishing off a six pack.

For me car shows are about checking out whats out there..getting new ideas & being able to appreciate that someone has saved a piece of our country's deep rooted motoring history. It makes no difference weather the owner did the work himself or paid to have it done (The owner has still restored a car or bought a restored car to preserve) My approach when I show my Camaro has been not to sweat the small stuff..weather I win or lose doesn't mean that much..I try to meet new people..shoot the shit..Be with like mined people..show case my work, talent & just spend a nice day out with the family (I usually take my kids & wife) The biggest personal satisfaction for me comes from all the compliments..car shows are a lot of fun & it is what you make it to be..If you get caught up in the competitive side so be it THAT'S YOUR CUP OF TEA..for others like me it's great day out spending time with the family..so get out there..meet new people..enjoy yourself..& don't stress out to much about others & their approach..This is AMERICA & freedom of choice is what it's all about !
Exactly why I go to the car shows and at times enter mine. I love early muscle cars...even chevies.

Jim

... But the thing that keeps me away is the competition part of it.

I couldn't agree more!
Went to a car show last year where cars had to be driven in no trailer queens allowed, oddly there were several empty car trailers parked within a block or two of the car show.

I personally don't go to car shows to win. {even though I would have no chance right now hahaha} I just like to drive in park my car and walk around and take pics of some cool cars. If I see a 7173 I will probably try and find the owner and talk with him for a while. But I couldn't care less who wins and who doesn't and why. And as far as most car shows go they are not there for the hobbyist's only. I'm pretty sure some car shows are made to promote a business or brand and that the people on top couldn't care less about the rules and classes. I much rather go to cruise nights than car shows. The people there are usually people who get their hands dirty.

I much rather go to cruise nights than car shows. The people there are usually people who get their hands dirty.
I hear you, ours start here if a few weeks, every Friday afternnoon everyone just drives into this huge Church parking lot, park their cars and mingle. We get all brands and all year of cars. Some bring their lawn chairs and ice coolers. The only rule by the Church is no burn outs or hot rodding in the parking lot, don't want to ruin a good thing or get anyone injured. I'm not even sure who started it, it's just a thing that happens when the weather gets good here.

I don't think cars could be realistically judged on whether the owner bought it restored or did it their self. But originality should count on the stripes if being judged in a cocours type class.

I was in a show a week ago and they grouped the 65 to 93 Mustangs in one class to compete against each other. 10 trophies were awarded with nothing newer than a 1970 Mustang won a trophy. That's sad!

I much rather go to cruise nights than car shows. The people there are usually people who get their hands dirty.
X 2 I try & hit as many cruise nights as possible....Can't wait!! Our first one is this week every thursday night 6-9 Then we have one here http://www.ctcruisenews.com/events/cn3.php every sat night..

Back