Turn Signal Switch replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Anyone replaced your turn signal switch? Looks like a PITA - remove steering wheel, draw a map of where all the wires go, get drunk and say, "Hell, I'll just use hand signals!", etc.

Or should I pay the guys at the garage $85 and focus on driving and aesthetics? :)

Anyone replaced your turn signal switch? Looks like a PITA - remove steering wheel, draw a map of where all the wires go, get drunk and say, "Hell, I'll just use hand signals!", etc.

Or should I pay the guys at the garage $85 and focus on driving and aesthetics? :)
No big deal, it is really easy 3 screws, handle, 1 more screw for ignition buzzer,

Cut the wires at the plug that attaches to the switch, (leave enough wire to see the colors) tape a string to the old wires, pull the switch/wires out...along with the string.

tape the string to all of the new wires and pull them back through, re install switch.

the old wires will come out of the original connector, if you slip a tube of some type over them to release the lock tab...do one at a time

The 73 switch has the harness / connector on it just plug it in

Item #TSS-9

73 TURN SIGNAL SWITCH W/OUT TILT

Turn signal switch assembly kit for fixed steering column. Price: $79.95

Easy work, but you will need a steering wheel puller. Do it yourself. One note, make sure sure that you have the steering wheel straight before you pull it off , so when you put it back on you drop it in the same place.

I did mine many years ago and I don't recall it being a hard job. Save the $85 and get drunk anyway.

Easy work, but you will need a steering wheel puller. Do it yourself. One note, make sure sure that you have the steering wheel straight before you pull it off , so when you put it back on you drop it in the same place.
Good tip and that reminds me, the last time I had my steering wheel off I must have put it back on 3 or 4 splines off so I notice it not being straight when driving down the road. I'll put that on my to-do list!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mine many years ago and I don't recall it being a hard job. Save the $85 and get drunk anyway.

LOL! Sounds like a plan!

Good tip and that reminds me, the last time I had my steering wheel off I must have put it back on 3 or 4 splines off so I notice it not being straight when driving down the road. I'll put that on my to-do list!
Guess I know what I'll be doing Sunday afternoon (got a track meet to supervise all day Saturday). I'll everyone know how it turns out.

I marked the steering shaft, and the wheel hub with a Sharpie, so I knew exactly where the wheel went back on...

Be sure to disconnect the battery before pulling the steering wheel.

Be sure to disconnect the battery before pulling the steering wheel.
Hopefully there won't be any distractions like the last shirt while Doc is working on the switch or it may never get fixed! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back