headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsnake

Reaction score
My Car
1967,68, and 69 Cougar,
and of course the 71 I am trying to sell!

http://s819.photobucket.com/albums/zz114/woodsnake4462838/
Just a quick fitment question about headers. My 71 FB is getting an 84 5.0 engine, and I had/have a pair of unknown brand name headers laying around the house.

IN GENERAL, do the earlier header applications work for the 71/3 body style?

Or do you need a specific later style?

Thanks!

Just a quick fitment question about headers. My 71 FB is getting an 84 5.0 engine, and I had/have a pair of unknown brand name headers laying around the house.

IN GENERAL, do the earlier header applications work for the 71/3 body style?

Or do you need a specific later style?

Thanks!
Ohhh my..Mite run into a bit of trouble there..Cause alot of headers are made custom just for one car or another ....My hookers headers are made for my body style and year..So they fit pretty good for big pipes.....I wouldnt know about 302....But a few 302 guys on here that should be able to help...If not..Just try and see...you mite luck out and have plenty of room and just the right bends.

Wow, 57 views, and nobody has a comment? I have the stock exhaust manifolds for the engine as well, I'm hoping the headers that I have, which came off of a 67 Cougar will fit. I guess I'll find out, when I get the engine back in!-)

Maybe this is why answers are slow to come on this subject:p

"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Fitment has alot to.do with the trans. If its c4 or c6, long tube headers wont interfere with the tranny but may possilby with the steering box. Long tubes in our cars with FMX trans will not fit. shortys wont have any fitment issues at all if its for the body style. I had to go ceramic shortys by heddman headers to clear the steering box and trans. Check out my garage pics of the motor and notice the tube coming out of cylinder 7. It goes straight up and then back down to give clearance. If i recall correctly, the summit catalog lists these for 71-3 mustangs

Wow, 57 views, and nobody has a comment? I have the stock exhaust manifolds for the engine as well, I'm hoping the headers that I have, which came off of a 67 Cougar will fit. I guess I'll find out, when I get the engine back in!-)
easiest thing to do is just mock up the headers on the motor and then drop it in. if it fits, then you just got to do the one bolt on each side. if not, just pull it back up. alot of headers need to be installed with the motor lifted on one side with the motor disconnected.

my 460 headers, the pass side went in without lifting motor when i took them out. i had to lift motor up to get out the driver side.

on my old days with the 351w, i had the same experience.

small block header are header to install BTW cuz of the bolt spacing and the tube size. the 460 have huge spacing between the two bolts compared to the tube. hell, on each side i can get a 3/8 socket on at least 5 bolts and i don't need any special angled wrenches.

I have had some fitment issues over the years with various headers in Cougars. The 67 Cougar (289) needs the power steering lowering bracket, the 69 and 70 passenger side headers go up easy from underneath, the passenger side is a PITA around the motor mount, (In 351W cars).

My concern about the fitment is the the power steering pump, and how that will fit around the header.

I will get the engine in when I get home, I was just curious if anyone knew in advance that for sure headers that are madef or the earlier cars do/do not fit 71/73 chassis...

Fitment has alot to.do with the trans. If its c4 or c6, long tube headers wont interfere with the tranny but may possilby with the steering box. Long tubes in our cars with FMX trans will not fit. shortys wont have any fitment issues at all if its for the body style. I had to go ceramic shortys by heddman headers to clear the steering box and trans. Check out my garage pics of the motor and notice the tube coming out of cylinder 7. It goes straight up and then back down to give clearance. If i recall correctly, the summit catalog lists these for 71-3 mustangs
Are those for a 351C-2V? If so, which vendor and part number?

I am running Hedman long tube headers on my 2v. I love them. SUPER easy to install from under the car. Only took about an hour to completely bolt them up and no clearance issues at all. They did rust up on me some so I called the company and they said to send them back. I sent them back and they recoated them and sent the right back to me and they look better than ever. Easy to install, look and sound great! Here a link to them...... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-88326

Kevin

Are those for a 351C-2V? If so, which vendor and part number?
Im sorry i should have mentioned they are for the 351w

Hedman 88656. The website lists them differently than catalog.

You neglected to tell us some important info maybe that's why the replies were sparse. What transmission does the car have? How big are the primaries for the headers? I have a 302 based stroker in my car and a toploader. I had to pick up an inexpensive set of Hedmans (1 5/8" primaries, 3" collectors) and modify the drivers side to clear the equalizer bar linkage. It was quite a pain to do but they fit like a glove now. Check out my thread, maybe it'll help you - http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-header-modification

Back