Looks Like We Need Car of the Month (COTM) Submissions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
I've been meaning to submit the 72 Mach1. I do not have any recent pictures - should I send in some with me shirtless next to it? :rolleyes:
Sounds like your going for Centerfold on the calendar! :D

sexyrexy.JPG

I've been meaning to submit the 72 Mach1. I do not have any recent pictures - should I send in some with me shirtless next to it? :rolleyes:
Sounds like your going for Centerfold on the calendar! :D
This was from a few years ago.

This bright yellow 1972 Mustang Mach1 has been with me for over thirty years through good times and bad. I purchased it in 1981 from the original owner who bought the sleek fastback to drive in France where he was stationed for nine years. When he decided to part with the stock Mach1 in order to buy a more economical car, it gave me an opportunity to buy a low mileage vehicle that had averaged only about 5,000 miles per year. Since I already another owned another very similar Mach1 that had over 100,000 miles that I bought in 1976, it was like driving an almost new car again. What made this Mach1 even more appealing was it came with the very desirable ram-air option and fold down rear seat. Other standard features included a 351 Cleveland 2 bbl engine, FMX automatic transmission, Deluxe Interior and Convenience package.

As nice as the Mach1 was in stock form, over the years I added many performance upgrades that added to my original purchase price of $1,650. Koni shocks, an aluminum intake with four barrel carb, Motorsport timing chain, dual exhaust, larger front and rear anti-sway bars and a smaller diameter steering wheel improved the speed and handling of the low compression regular gas machine. These upgrades allowed me to drive in autocrosses, high-speed open track events and drag races without fear of being embarrassed by more technologically proficient Fords. For many years the bright yellow Mach1 served as my daily driver and I turned the speedometer over in a few years.

Over the years I became less dependent on the Mustang for regular transportation and starting showing it in its original condition with some cosmetic improvements such as Magnum 500’s wheels, black side tape stripes and front spoiler. A fresh paint job in 1990 and engine detailing in 1995 were well deserved for my pony that was not garage stored until the mid 1990’s. I am not afraid to drive it a long distance as it made the ten hour drive to Michigan for the Ford 100th anniversary without incident. That was just another road trip like the ones to Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Atlanta, Charlotte, Danville VA, and Nashville to attend Shelby and Mustang national events for some high speed driving on the speedways and road courses. Only once was it trailered to an event (Virginia International Raceway) and it just so happens it broke down on the last lap in my track session. That would be the last lap the original engine would see.

In 2008 the original 2 bolt main engine was pretty tired from years of abusive driving so I replaced it with a Cobra Jet 4 bolt main Cleveland sourced from a DeTomaso Pantera. The new engine performed well at the Carlisle Ford Nationals autocross this year and at the local dragstrips. It ran a 9.5 in the 1/8 mile and 14.9 seconds in the quarter mile. I made a recent interior upgrade by adding TMI Sport Seats which feel a lot better than the stock ones and I slide around a lot less while taking sharp corners. I’ve been through many sets of tires including Goodyear NCT’s, BFG Comp TA’s and Kumho’s. The original space saver tire has never been on the ground as I always carry an extra full size spare. I’ll be upgrading the ignition soon (coil, distributor) and ultimately I would like to swap the automatic for a Tremec five speed so I can reach a much higher top speed as I’m tired of getting passed by all those late model Corvettes on track days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only if your car was featured in the Restoration Phase COTM...you may then add it to the On The Road category!

I noticed we did not have an April COTM and there are not any new submissions. Don't be shy, tell us about your 71/71 and post up some pics and your Mustang may make it on next years 7173Mustangs.com printed calendar!

http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-car-of-the-month-spotlight-feature
Mines a 73.. I guess it doesn't fall into the 71/71 category :rolleyes:.. Maybe once I get some paint on mine Ill submit it
Oops typo! :blush: Mines a 73 also, maybe I should have typed 73/73 :D

Back