• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Cowl section

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
I need a cowl section for my 72 Mustang. I really only need the passenger side, but the cowl hat on my '72 is rusted away. If you have one, let me know.

I need a cowl section for my 72 Mustang. I really only need the passenger side, but the cowl hat on my '72 is rusted away. If you have one, let me know.
69, I do not have one but you might want to try these guys as I have had very, very good luck getting stuff from them.

http://www.dvap.com/

BT

69, I just spoke with a friend of mine in MS. (about 20 miles from me) who advised he has a black '72 MACH I that he is parting out. Unfortunately, he has cars stored at different places and this one is about 25 miles from where he is.

He advised he is reasonably certain the cowl is intact and in good shape but noted he will have to check to make sure. He promised to try and get to the location in the next week or so.

When he does, I will pass his phone number to you so that you can deal with him directly. He is NOT on the "Net" and dos not own a computer.

BT

My guy got back to me - - the cowl is NOT on the car that was being stripped out.

I have come to understand that our site sponsor (OMS) may have one as they have a number of used parts. You might want to give Don a call.

BT

Thanks guys, I will check those out. Good suggestions.

Cobra3073--regarding a parts car, the part of the cowl I need has to be cut out of the car--major structural. Your friend may not be clear on what I need. Here is an example of a full cowl section (for a '69): http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=COWL6

I really only need the passenger side (about half).

Last edited by a moderator:

I am pretty sure he knows what it looks like (he has been dealing in used mustang parts for @ 25 years) but I will get with him this weekend and make sure. He is one of those "pack rat" guys who (along with his agents) scrounges junk yards for cars (mustangs) and tear them down to their most valuable part, a true Renaissance man:)!

Will get back to you as soon as possible.

BT

I got with Gary who assured me he "knows what the cowl is." He also advised he no longer has anything left of that particular car.

Did you check with Don (at OMS)?

BT

It certainly wasn't meant as an insult. My experience has been that people don't know what I am talking about. I had a guy here in the LA area that had a car he was parting out. I told him to save the cowl for me--he was trying to get rid of the car as quick as possible and said he would cut out the section I needed. He cut what I needed in half and threw the other half away--basically, he saved the firewall and ruined a good cowl section. So, when you initially said he wasn't sure if he had that part, it reminded me of that story. I would think a person would remember cutting out the cowl. Anyway, again, no offense intended. I haven't had time to call Don as yet.

There are hand full of guys taking the time to take in extra 71-73 cars and chop em up.

Ohio mustang is a start,

71steed

Hemikiller

There is a guy in maryland

The cowl is going to the hardest part to find intact. I ended up having one fabricated to replace sections of my original cowl.

At one point I was considering buying a perfectly good 73 coupe and chopping it up for parts the only issues with that car was it was a vinyl roof and the top was rusted away.

But I didn't want to start a junk yard in my driveway.

Just food for thought. I looked for 4 months couldn't find anything then had it fabricated fir and extra 500$

A replacement cowl from a parts car was a lot more

NO, I was not offended - - I think he was a bit miffed that I asked him about it again but he will get over it:).

This guy is a real dealer and usually have cars parked (stored) at different locations around the area. While mostly mustangs, he also deals in other Ford and Lincoln Mercury vehicles.

Anyway, until you find one, I will keep my "eye" out for any possibilities.

BT

I just fixed mine with a fabricated section, but mine was badly rotted in just a small area near the heater box intake. I made a thread on another forum about it http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/818059-73-mach-1-build.html
Nice work! That is the exact same repair I need to do. Not to turn this thread into a discussion (too late?), but did your "hat" have a flange on the bottom of it, if so, how'd you make it with a full radius? Or did you just have tabs then but weld/seam seal the connection of the hat to the lower cowl?

I have thought much about how to make the hat with a flange, but it requires buying a sheet metal stretcher.

Nice work! That is the exact same repair I need to do. Not to turn this thread into a discussion (too late?), but did your "hat" have a flange on the bottom of it, if so, how'd you make it with a full radius? Or did you just have tabs then but weld/seam seal the connection of the hat to the lower cowl?

I have thought much about how to make the hat with a flange, but it requires buying a sheet metal stretcher.
Yes, my hat was flanged along the bottom. I cut out and brought the rusted piece to a local sheet metal place that specializes in HVAC ducting, which involves similar shapes as the cowl piece. They made it up no problem and charged me close to nothing to do it... I would try a place like that closer to you. If you can't find a place to do it, I can try to have a couple made up for whoever is interested :).

Spiral--just read your writeup--I had to laugh---Old 2+2gt had blasted me over on mustangforums over the cowl section. Told me dynacorn made it for over a year. I said uhh no they dont and I wrote them and they said they had no intention of making one. Also told me they made the front frame rails for these cars. I said hmmm could you post up the part numbers for the cowl and the rails----he locked the thread instead lol

http://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs/600095-now-available-front-frame-rails-1971-1972-1973-a.html

A replacement cowl from a parts car was a lot more
and is usually rusty too.

I have been toying with the idea of just fabricating my own as well. Thanks for the reply!
I just fixed mine with a fabricated section, but mine was badly rotted in just a small area near the heater box intake. I made a thread on another forum about it http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/818059-73-mach-1-build.html
Hey Downward, that article would be a great addition to our Wiki Tech and Tutorial section!!

I bought a good used one from Don at OMS. Worked out perfect for me. He actually had alot more of it than I needed so I sent him a pic and he cut it down to save on shipping.

Back