Exhaust tips

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 351 4V 4-speed convert
Now that I look at it, this should probably go under Aesthetics so sorry if I posted it in the wrong spot.

My car came with some extra parts including a set of chrome tips for the dual exhaust. They have a tap bolt and bracket to hold them on the pipes. Just wondering where everyone places the tap bolt and bracket so as not to shake into the gas tank on the left side or the delivery tie down bracket on the right side.

A few related questions:

1. Are there better chrome tips to use for this generation Mustang?

2. I've heard that original dual exhaust cars came with angled delivery tie down brackets, but the brackets on my car are straight. I guess I'm wondering if this car started life as a single exhaust car? It is coded as a 351 4V 4 speed car so I just assumed it would have had dual exhaust and it does have original looking FoMoCo coded mufflers on it but I find it hard to believe they could be originals after 37 years.

3. Should the tie down brackets be removed?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Image of left side close to gas tank:

IMG_0995.jpg

Image of right side, too close to delivery tie down bracket:

IMG_0997.jpg

Image of the tie down bracket:

IMG_0996.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1 - The "best" would be a set of NOS Ford tips - but very pricey. I haven't used the repops, they don't fit the 2 1/2" exhaust I run. Id the tabs are a problem, cut the tack weld with a cutoff wheel and spin the clamp to where it fits best.

2 - Your tie down brackets look bent to me. All 4V Mustangs were dual exhaust, no exceptions.

3 - They were supposed to be removed by the dealer, most weren't. If they are a problem, remove them.

Great feedback on the tips. I've never had the right ones on the car, so this information will help when I get to that point.

The angled tie downs means the angle when looking at them sideways. Here's a recent shot at mine after I managed to wrench them off the car, media blasted, primered, painted and re-installed. Looking from the bottom of the car up, yours seem to have been bent too close to the leaf spring.

DSC06627.JPG

Thanks for the advice Hemi killer and Maiden Dearborn.

I like the idea of the NOS tips but you are right: They are pricey. I'll have to wait for that option so I'll try moving the tabs on the chrome tips.

Thanks for the pics of your dual exhaust car and in put re the tiedown brackets. Wow! Very clean looking resto work.

I used the aftermarket tips on my car they are total crap.

Basically the original clamps are left and right with the screw for the clamps pointing away from the gas tank.

I cut the repro clamps off at the weld and reset them so I could position the clamp screw at 6 o'clock and set the screws so the threads point away from the tank.

I also had to cut them to shorten them to fit the v4 exhaust pipes as they were too long for the turn downs on the repro exhaust. I then found they would sit loose on the pipes because the clamp was having trouble tightening, so I scored cuts with my dremal in the metal so the clamp could squeeze more.

Yes droptop, it is on my convertible. Here are 2 pics. The first shows the plug going into the trunk drop-off. The second is the wiring going across the back frame rail just above the rear valence. Then it goes toward the front of the fuel tank along the side of it.

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.JPG

Boy am I dense... I never noticed it. :D
Don't sweat it! To be honest droptop, I know how you feel. I was about to post that the hole was there but the wiring had been moved on my car until I went out to the garage and looked. The little details on cars are tough to remember.

Back