Oil??????????????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Drove the car Friday night probably 100+ miles pipes clean as a pin at the tail pipe. Drained oil yesterday to check aftermarket dip stick. Drove to my grandmothers to eat lunch today, about 25 miles, pipes covered with a thin layer of black. Wiped them out, drove probably 100 miles just driving around. Checked when we got home they were clean and dry:huh: Took a few shots of the car on the lake.

Roys car 001.jpg

Roys car 002.jpg

Roys car 003.jpg

Roys car 004.jpg

Roys car 005.jpg

Has a hint of leaking valve seals to it. But typically your up to operating temp by 25 miles. My car is in 7. Weird symptom! You weren't by chance driving a little harder after grandma's than before grandma's were you :huh:

The black in the pipes sounds more like too much fuel. Maybe the choke is sticking sometimes.

Your car looks great by the lake.

The black in the pipes sounds more like too much fuel. Maybe the choke is sticking sometimes.

Your car looks great by the lake.

Thanks it would look better with a (my) boat behind it in the water/

Choke is hard wired open, so no choke. No if anything I drove it harder after eating than before. Oh it seems to be using a little oil so...................

Teflon seals not seated?
My conclusion is keep an eye on the oil level and drive the wheels off of it. Sooner or later it will show its self. Like I said before it only shows sings of smoke in between shifts and when I come completely off the throttle(coasting)

Choke wired open? You should just take the Carb to a local Carb shop and have it de-horned then. Chokes cost 15-20hp losses (I've heard 3 Carb builders say this now). I had that done to my 800dp.

Choke wired open? You should just take the Carb to a local Carb shop and have it de-horned then. Chokes cost 15-20hp losses (I've heard 3 Carb builders say this now). I had that done to my 800dp.
Not exactly sure what you mean by dehorned, but mine is set up for a manual choke right now and I may in the future use it. so for now just have it inoperable.

Not exactly sure what you mean by dehorned, but mine is set up for a manual choke right now and I may in the future use it. so for now just have it inoperable.
de-horning is when you take off the entire metal that houses/holds the choke. i'm sure you see plenty of carbs even in summit mag that have no horns/chokes. it'll open up some cfm. but if you want to use a choke down the road, then i guess just keep it open.

Teflon seals not seated?
My conclusion is keep an eye on the oil level and drive the wheels off of it. Sooner or later it will show its self. Like I said before it only shows sings of smoke in between shifts and when I come completely off the throttle(coasting)
That sounds like a good plan. The pictures look great. They would make great calendar shots.

Roy did you feel the seals kind of snap into place when you installed them? Sometimes the machining isn't clean or the seals a little off and they don't seal completely.

Back