7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsuDave

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Fastback
2005 Mustang GT
1987.bmpn1062788702_30313669_5633570.jpgn1062788702_30314248_3822451.jpg1987.bmpI have owned my 73 Fastback since '87. It was my first car and started as a 2 barrel Cleveland with an open rear and vinyl top. I changed it to black, lost the vinyl top, added a ram air style hood and rear spoiler. When the bottom end went out I built another Cleveland, approx 11.1 4 barrel motor, c6 and 4.10 gears with 31 spline axels. I sold that motor to a buddy 10 years ago and started to strip her to bare metal and repair rusted parts. When my wife had our first kid the car got put on the back burner. I have slowly started to get things moving again and have a 460 short block complete and waiting on funds for the heads. PST front suspension and sway bars front and rear. Need to finish up the bodywork and hope to in paint it by spring

Attachments

• 1987.bmp
    285.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard! Post up some photos of your car...we love to see them in all stages of restoration!

::welcome::

WELCOME aboard, Dave!

I am particularly interested in your choice for motivation in your Mustang. What block do you have: D0VE, D1 or D9? Have you decided which heads you intend to use?

I look forward to interacting with you on the forums.

Again, Welcome!!

BT

WELCOME aboard, Dave!

I am particularly interested in your choice for motivation in your Mustang. What block do you have: D0VE, D1 or D9? Have you decided which heads you intend to use?

Again, Welcome!!

BT

WELCOME aboard, Dave!

Again, Welcome!!

BT
The block was out of a 73 Lincoln which if I remember is a D1VE block. the motor had 40,000 miles and sat after a broken distributor. The crank didnt even need to be turned. Bored .30 over and added forged h-beam rods and forged pistons. I am planning on using the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and will be about 10.5 to 1. I would have gone with cobra jet style heads but headers would be really expensive and I think I can get good power from my choice and overbuilt the bottom end so I can spray it if I want do any drag racing

Last edited by a moderator:
WELCOME aboard, Dave!

Again, Welcome!!

BT

WELCOME aboard, Dave!

Again, Welcome!!

BT
The block was out of a 73 Lincoln which if I remember is a D1VE block. the motor had 40,000 miles and sat after a broken distributor. The crank didnt even need to be turned. Bored .30 over and added forged h-beam rods and forged pistons. I am planning on using the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and will be about 10.5 to 1. I would have gone with cobra jet style heads but headers would be really expensive and I think I can get good power from my choice and overbuilt the bottom end so I can spray it if I want do any drag racing

2463_1097524512652_1062788702_30313667_7952545_n.jpg

I believe you have made some GREAT decisions relative to the motor. It certainly sounds as if you have put some real effort in your decisions.

I am a STRONG believer in putting the BBF motors in the '71 - '73 Mustangs as the engine bays are "right" for the swap and based on what was done with the '71 429SCJ, we know it will DEFINITELY work. For "swappers", Ford has already "plowed the field" so it is just a matter of following the template.

Again, I look forward with interacting with you "on your journey."

BT

I believe you have made some GREAT decisions relative to the motor. It certainly sounds as if you have put some real effort in your decisions.

I am a STRONG believer in putting the BBF motors in the '71 - '73 Mustangs as the engine bays are "right" for the swap and based on what was done with the '71 429SCJ, we know it will DEFINITELY work. For "swappers", Ford has already "plowed the field" so it is just a matter of following the template.

Again, I look forward with interacting with you "on your journey."

BT
So I'm guessing your running a 460. It seemed like the right thing to do. Ford built this body style with plans for big block power. Too bad their plans were cut short but we can always take over where they left off!

What have you done with yours? I had considered going with a stroker crank but since my stock one was in such good shape I opted for the scat rods that are used with their stroker so i have that option later without having to repurchase rods. I am expecting about 550hp on pump gas and mild converter so it will be very streetable but able to handle plenty of NOS to make track days fun

Dave,

As to my combination, I have two '73 Mustangs, a Mach I (see my Avatar) and a Grande.

I am the original owner and have a 1970 428CJ in the Mach I that has been in place for over 20 years. Since those motors have become somewhat rare, I am looking at pulling the motor and installing it in a '69 or '70 Mustang or Cougar. I am building a 545: 429SCJ (4 bolt block), 4.500 forged RPM crank, 6.800 forged RPM rods, Probe 32cc pistons, Comp Cams 286 Solid Roller, and Trick Flow fully ported Streets (372/243 @ .750 per flow sheet - without a pipe) to replace the 428CJ.

I have a .060 1970 429 with 460 crank in the Grande. It is basically an Edelbrock motor (Performer RPM cam, Intake and carb). I am using some mildly ported D0VE heads with hyper pistons on that one - - it is a torque MONSTER. The car is "complete" (engine, trans, rear end, brakes, interior) but is currently at the "painter" for the "final" touches.

As you may have gathered, I ABSOLUTELY love the big blocks.

BT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back