1973 Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
I was looking at my Marti report today and saw that my Mach 1 was produced on 7/5/73. Does anyone know when Mustang production for 1973 came to an end?[/font]

July 73 was the last month of production. The last VIN sequential # was in the neighborhood of 263900. I don't know if they stopped production in late July or early August to retool for the Mustang IIs.

Post your Marti there are a few clues hidden therein that may help to tell the story when compared to other reports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.. I wonder who has 'the last one'. Mine was born in Oct 1972, so I am not even close.
Here on our site according to the registry, the youngest car belongs to Steve, the original poster above. Congrats Steve!

Interesting.. I wonder who has 'the last one'. Mine was born in Oct 1972, so I am not even close.
Here on our site according to the registry, the youngest car belongs to Steve, the original poster above. Congrats Steve!
Thanks for checking the registry Don. I have had the car since 1980. It will be back to original condition when it comes out of the shop next month. I will post pics then (Blue glow/argent stripes). Can't wait to get it on the road again!

July 73 was the last month of production. The last VIN sequential # was in the neighborhood of 263900. I don't know if they stopped production in late July or early August to retool for the Mustang IIs.

Post your Marti there are a few clues hidden therein that may help to tell the story when compared to other reports.
Posted Marti report

Mine must have been an early 73 with a serial #245270. I see you are looking at the blue glow. In 73 it was a $42.50 option with the tut one hood another $21.60. Priciest option on mine was the 4 speed manual transmission at $233.70

Posted Marti report
Where is it posted? I couldn't locate it.
Mine is on page 6 - just above Ole Pony's convertible.

Mine must have been an early 73 with a serial #245270. I see you are looking at the blue glow. In 73 it was a $42.50 option with the tut one hood another $21.60. Priciest option on mine was the 4 speed manual transmission at $233.70
Interesting - my Blue Glow paint option was listed as a $34.90 option with the tutone hood paint priced at $18.00. The priciest option on mine was the C6 automatic at $203.73. MSRP for my car was $4,278.42. I will pay way more than that just for the new paint job!

Where is it posted? I couldn't locate it.
Mine is on page 6 - just above Ole Pony's convertible.
Maybe I'm dense but I still couldn't find it. Is it posted in the Marti report sub-forum? http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-marti-reports

BTW, I'm really looking forward to seeing the blue glow paint. :cool:
It is in the Marti sub forum, posted 5/30/11. It has 318 views, no comments. The photo shows a red Mach 1 ("before" picture). Again, go to page 6 in the Marti sub forum, about the third entry down.

BTW - I see that you have a green 73 Mach 1 with avocado interior. One of my favorite combinations. I had a green Mach 1 for 10 years with that combination (3F05H253351). Wish I still had it.

I was looking at my Marti report today and saw that my Mach 1 was produced on 7/5/73. Does anyone know when Mustang production for 1973 came to an end?[/font]
It would be interesting to learn when each year's models' production lines were changed over to the next. Maybe using Marti's?

Ray

It would be interesting to learn when each year's models' production lines were changed over to the next. Maybe using Marti's?

Ray
Yes, that would be interesting Ray. It seems like when I was a kid I remember the new models coming out in August so I would guess that production would have changed over some time in July. Probably not much tooling change between 71, 72, and 73. I was wondering if they shut the 1973 line down earlier than normal to re-tool for the Mustang II. That would have been a large effort since everything was different. You would have to use production dates as opposed to serial numbers though. I think I read somewhere about how Ford used the last 6 digits in the VIN numbers sequentially for all of their models - not just Mustangs. So the VIN numbers on two Mustangs with similar production dates may be far apart.

I have two 73s one was built on May 3rd & the other was built on May 4th. The May 3rd car was 3 days behind schedule & the other was 2 days behind schedule.

Their VINs end with: 226499 for the May 3rd car and 229193 for the May 4th car.

The 226# is the green one. It has H-code, C6, F70x14 RWL, ps, p disc brakes, A/C, AM, tint, sports wheel covers, & rear bumper guards. Well it had all the stuff originally. Do you have any pics of your green one?

I have two 73s one was built on May 3rd & the other was built on May 4th. The May 3rd car was 3 days behind schedule & the other was 2 days behind schedule.

Their VINs end with: 226499 for the May 3rd car and 229193 for the May 4th car.

The 226# is the green one. It has H-code, C6, F70x14 RWL, ps, p disc brakes, A/C, AM, tint, sports wheel covers, & rear bumper guards. Well it had all the stuff originally. Do you have any pics of your green one?
I just found some old photos of my green Mach 1 (3F05H253351). I bought this car in December 1977 while still in high school. It had 33,000 miles at the time. I added the 3 gauge panel/tach, parking brake warning light, courtesy lights, map light, tilt wheel, and console from a donor Mustang. I learned a lot working on that Mach 1. I sold this car in Anaheim California in 1986 to a guy that worked at Villa Ford in Orange. The last photo is right after I installed the front spoiler but before I added the Magnum 500s. Green Mach001.jpgGreen Mach003.jpgGreen Mach004.jpgGreen Mach005.jpg

Back