New member- 73 Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AkWolf

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1 Hardtop (knotchback) 302W, C4 automatic tranny
Hey my name is David Wolf, Im from Alaska and am fairly new to mustangs. I bought a 73 Mach1 (or Grande, currently trying to figure that out) with a 302W and C4 automatic tranny, a couple months ago. Since I've owned it I've been spending just about all my time and money on it haha. Put in a Summit dual plane intake manifold, Summit 600cfm electric choke carb, MSD ignition coil, thermostat and housing, Edlebrock valve covers, K&N breather, new plugs/wires/dist. cap and rotor (Have a Summit ready to run distributor on the way too), master cylinder, clear fuel filter and hose, and have been redoing all the weatherstripping and changing out all the old screws on the inside and out with new ones. It's a work in progress but she's coming along. Throughout all of this I've had tons of questions, but not many people too answer them, so I figured I would join here and hopefully get a little help/advice. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to being a long time member here.

davidspics008.jpg

Welcome to the site David. Looks like it's a coupe, which may mean it's a Grande. Mach 1's were strictly of the fastback variety (although not all fastbacks are Mach 1's). Any other questions, feel free to ask. What's the first 5 digits of the VIN?

Sweet looking car BTW, and nice list of upgrades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome David. nice looking car.

You can tell a Mach I by the VIN number. With a 302 yours would be a 3F05Fxxxxxx

The first 3 is model year 1973, F is for Dearborn production plant (They were all Dearborn by 1973), 05 is Mach I Sportsroof (fastback) body and the final F is the 302 engine. xxxxxx is your 6 digit consecutive unit number.

Your VIN is probably 3F01Fxxxxxx

Your's looks to be a notchback, so not a Mach I. Possibly a Grande. If it has the build tag (usually on radiator core support behind left headlight) you would see the trim level. Also on the door sticker if it still exists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from coastal Alabama! Order a Marti report for $15 bucks or so & it'll tell you a lot about your car. Or post a pic of your buck tag, I'm pretty good at decoding them. Looks like a nice car!

WOW! Thank you everyone for the welcome. This seems like my kinda place! Ya'll are very welcoming and I look forward to being apart of this community.

The vin is F3F01F1 and then the manufacture/consecutive numbers. Im almost positive is a Grande after doing some research online, but the guy I bought it from and the title say Mach1 (but then again, you can put anything on a title).

I paid $5,000 for it. Granted Im in Alaska and there arent many of these around, but did I still overpay?

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back