Best looking grill for my Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
Hey guys, I need to change the front grill of my Mustang because it's broken in a corner.

I currently have the standard 71-72 Mustang Coupe grill.

Now I can't decide which grill to order. The 72 "sport" (Mach 1 ?) grill looks cool but I have to order the "sport lenses" to fit in.

I like the 73 grill too, but I don't think it's a good idea to put in on a 72.

I also like a customized "classic" grill, like those :

254162_1814974697386_1330632943_31617530_8261823_n.jpg

319838_3254323520207_1330632943_32355213_43802321_n.jpg

What's your opinion ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is hard to beat a 72-72 Mach 1 grill. I found sport lamps for mine fairly inexpensively.

The 73 grill requires a different set of headlight surrounds and the hood latch bracket is different. also, the "lip" on the bottom of the 71-72 grill isn't there due to the bumper height difference in 73-it could work, but it is going to take some tweaking and since 1972 is the official end of the muscle car area, making a 72 look like a 73 is a little backwards.

new usa made 71-2 mach 1 greille 249.95

new usa made sport lamps 31.95 each

emblem 19.95

insured express mail shipping to France 97.00

I like the one on top (on the orange car) better. The 73 grille is my favorite, but I'm biased being that I have one. I guess I'm a minimalist, the less grille you see the better imo.

Purple car grill makes it look like a '71-73 AMC Javelin.

:-/

I think it is hard to beat a 72-72 Mach 1 grill. I found sport lamps for mine fairly inexpensively.

The 73 grill requires a different set of headlight surrounds and the hood latch bracket is different. also, the "lip" on the bottom of the 71-72 grill isn't there due to the bumper height difference in 73-it could work, but it is going to take some tweaking and since 1972 is the official end of the muscle car area, making a 72 look like a 73 is a little backwards.
Hey!I resemble that remark :dodgy:

I used to have the standard grille that I had completely de-chromed and painted flat black. If you remove the chrome trim, you need to get rid of the edges that the moldings clip onto and smooth the surface.

(You might just paint the trim over but that would not look good from up close.)

Here is a pic of mine with the painted grille for reference:

attachment.php

Buuuuut, I do prefer the look of the 71-72 Mach1 grille because it makes the car look sleeker and wider. Again a pic for comparison:

001.JPG

One thing I always wanted to do was put in a 1970 Shelby grille. I think one should be able to make it fit.....somehow.

Reason I never tried it is because of the costs for shipping and taxes. If I order such a grille and it does not fit and I have to send it back I'll be stuck with about 200$ in shipping and taxes that I will have to write off.

I still wonder what that would look like.........

I used to have the standard grille that I had completely de-chromed and painted flat black. If you remove the chrome trim, you need to get rid of the edges that the moldings clip onto and smooth the surface.

(You might just paint the trim over but that would not look good from up close.)

Here is a pic of mine with the painted grille for reference:

attachment.php

Buuuuut, I do prefer the look of the 71-72 Mach1 grille because it makes the car look sleeker and wider. Again a pic for comparison:

One thing I always wanted to do was put in a 1970 Shelby grille. I think one should be able to make it fit.....somehow.

Reason I never tried it is because of the costs for shipping and taxes. If I order such a grille and it does not fit and I have to send it back I'll be stuck with about 200$ in shipping and taxes that I will have to write off.

I still wonder what that would look like.........
Mike, you're old standard grill is exactly the look I'm going for. It's sick looking!

Mike, you're old standard grill is exactly the look I'm going for. It's sick looking!
Yeah, that looks awesome!

Im really digging my 72 Grande, I wish it was a Mach 1 but its just such a nice car and so complete I just hate to sell it. Finding 71-73 Mustangs in such original condition is becoming really tough nowadays. But the coupe really needs some Mach 1 influence.

So the Mach 1 grill and sport lights and urethane bumper are they a direct bolt on replacement on the coupe, also will the Mach 1 rear valance with exhaust cutout bolt straight up? If none of this is possible does anyone know whats needed? Dont worry purists I would keep all the original parts. Im also going to retain the Grande vinyl roof, Im just changing white top to black.

I know a ton about Mach 1's but Im a newbie to the coupes. Help please! :)

Rear72526656522-1881332512.jpeg

Im wanting mine to look like this one below except with a black top. It might be black just doesnt look black to me.

Grande.Final 027.Resize-1346613876.jpg

Im really digging my 72 Grande, I wish it was a Mach 1 but its just such a nice car and so complete I just hate to sell it. Finding 71-73 Mustangs in such original condition is becoming really tough nowadays. But the coupe really needs some Mach 1 influence.

So the Mach 1 grill and sport lights and urethane bumper are they a direct bolt on replacement on the coupe, also will the Mach 1 rear valance with exhaust cutout bolt straight up? If none of this is possible does anyone know whats needed? Dont worry purists I would keep all the original parts. Im also going to retain the Grande vinyl roof, Im just changing white top to black.

I know a ton about Mach 1's but Im a newbie to the coupes. Help please! :)

Im wanting mine to look like this one below except with a black top. It might be black just doesnt look black to me.
Bumper, grille, lights, valance, tail panel honeycomb are all bolt on items

Don

Back