Got my Crites Fiberglass front bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
and I am not completely thrilled with the quality. Thankfully I have enough experience with fiberglass to know that there is nothing about them that can't be fixed . . . still if you are going to pull a mold off a part, how about not using one that is warped?

and the aluminum brackets look like they were welded up by a monkey . . . strike that . . . a blind monkey with his fur on fire.

Still they are all much lighter than the factory parts.

If you think that's funny, you should see the welds!

I'd like to.

Pics???

and I am not completely thrilled with the quality. Thankfully I have enough experience with fiberglass to know that there is nothing about them that can't be fixed . . . still if you are going to pull a mold off a part, how about not using one that is warped?

and the aluminum brackets look like they were welded up by a monkey . . . strike that . . . a blind monkey with his fur on fire.

How about some blind monkey, fur on fire welded bracket pics?

I called crites and left them a message because it seemed like my brackets were put in on angles, both different angles actually. Im taljing about the brackets that are molded to the bumper. They called me back and told me that they confirmed the builder did not put them in correctly. Its sitting on my porch right now getting picked up for a full refund. I was unhappy with its quality too. So was the restoration shop.

Read it and weep

[/b]IMAG1858.jpg

IMAG1859.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I am going to post a couple cell phone pics, but they look a lot better today when I am looking at them. Still not great, but thin aluminum is not the easiest thing to weld.

Unfortunately my car is not here so I can't check fit until the transmission is back in it. I'll wait til next week and lightly bolt on the bumper and brackets and see what I have.

weld1.jpg

weld2.jpg

weld3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

You got a problem with my welding????????????????????????

Monkey with a welding torch.jpg

Okay, I am going to post a couple cell phone pics, but they look a lot better today when I am looking at them. Still not great, but thin aluminum is not the easiest thing to weld.

Unfortunately my car is not here so I can't check fit until the transmission is back in it. I'll wait til next week and lightly bolt on the bumper and brackets and see what I have.
I'd be happy to paint those for you...

Wow! Good thing I don't share any close-ups of my welds. LMAO!

They are pretty flimsy, I don't know if they would hold up even a gutted factory bumper.

I pulled the brace out of my urethane bumper and there is another molded inside. the molded in brace and the urethane are a big part of the weight.

Of course the 73 only brackets are like 18 pounds a piece verses maybe one pound or so each for the aluminum ones.

Has anyone removed the inner structure completely and how did you do it without destroying the urethane? Mine is rusting pretty badly inside and needs to be pulled out and replaced or cleaned up somehow.

I bought a recondition 73 bumper off Ebay and had to swap over the inner brace. It's been a while but think there were 4-6 nuts to remove. They were rust badly so plenty of penetrating oil will be needed. I didn't break any off luckily.

There are 2 inner braces. the first one was no problem to remove. the second one is inside the urethane and I have not tried to remove it as it looks like I might ruin the urethane, but it is rusted badly and I am afraid if I leave it as is the rust will continue and come through the urethane as blisters

I just barely put the Crites bumper and brackets in place tonight. Nothing is lined upand I didn't try to shim or adjust cause it is just to f'ed up to work without reworking the brackets or the bumper.

Keep in mind that I am trying to use a modified 72 grill with a 73.

The bumper itself has molded in brackets that are simply wrong. The upper mount needs to be moved in 1/2- 3/4 of an inch.

The brackets are a decent dimensional copy of the originals. I plan to make a narrower set to allow the 71-72 turn signal lights to be used ( I have a different lower valence, just waiting til I get all fitting worked out.

So I am planning to fix the bumper. I know I could send it back, but in two hours I could have it done and begin finishing and fitting it to my car.

The fiberglass work is not all that hard and while I am at it, I can add a few reinforcements that should help to prevent sag and warping.

2012-05-25 20.09.32.jpg

2012-05-25 20.09.57.jpg

2012-05-25 20.10.15.jpg

I bought a recondition 73 bumper off Ebay and had to swap over the inner brace. It's been a while but think there were 4-6 nuts to remove. They were rust badly so plenty of penetrating oil will be needed. I didn't break any off luckily.
Thats right!! When I took mine apart I PB Blastered them, let them soak for 24 hrs, then used my 3/4 impact and an impact socket and they came right off.

Back