New member- 71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

perfdavid

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
400, race cam, pistons, rocker arms, ignition, heck, basically everything is race modified
Always wanted a Mach 1 so I decided to get one that I could work on. Just bought it two weeks ago. I knew that it didn't have the original 351 it came with but i wasn't looking for that. I have an all original 1929 Model A and an all original 1976 Triumph TR6. I wanted something I could play with, modify, and make into a beast. It used to to run the quarter mile in MS. Had a cage in it at one time but it was removed and the inside is actually quite nice, except some ugly paneling color i plan on painting myself. Has a Ford 400, with everything race modified: Cam, Edelbrock performer 400 intake manifold, pistons, no lash non adjusting rocker arms, ignition system, fuel pump, exhaust, basically this is a race car. That was what I wanted. I know there are some guys that want all stock, and hey, I understand, trust me I do. But, when it came to this, I wanted a pure speed toy.

When I got it it wasn't running, so I got it for a great price. Brought it home, took off the Holley 4b, took it apart, made some adjustments, put it back on, adjusted the timing (all in about 45 mins) and vroooommmm, the beast awoke. After a few days of driving it, I noticed white smoke starting to come out the exhaust, uhoh....and it smelled sweet. So, I took the heads off (blown head gasket which appears to have been like this for a while), put on an Edelbrock performance gasket, had the heads resurfaced and put it all back together. Man, she runs......and loud????? Wooooweeee is she loud. I love it, this car is what I have been looking for. A beast, a toy, a labor of love. Gonna get it repainted, put the stickers on it, do some interior work myself, have a sound system put in and keep playing with it. Already replaced the front grill. The guy had a 73 grill on it because he liked the way it looked. Hey, I can understand that, but I went ahead and put a 71 grill back on. Gonna sell my 73 grill lights if anyone needs em.

Anyway, I am Dave from Louisiana and I have a car addiction.

mach1.jpg

mach1engine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi David. Welcome from Mobile! Where in LA are you? Nice looking beast you've picked up. I too have a car addiction. My sig only lists part of them. :D If you need any parts I have 3 cars currently or being disassembled.

Again welcome! This is a great site to hang out on.

Btw, I would put the shock tower to firewall braces on the car lest your shock towers begin to crack at the base next to the frame rails. Since the braces aren't there I would inspect that known problem area.

Great car! Welcome to the forums!

::welcome::

Hi and ::welcome:: from Luxembourg/Europe.

Does it have a 73 grille? Looks like that in the pic.

And I agree with Don on the lack of hock tower braces!

:s

Thanks guys. I will see about the braces. It doesn't ride on the stock unibody frame alone. It has has major surgery with reinforcements welded all up under it for extreme track conditions. Also, as I stated in first post. That is a pic of when I first bought it. I took off the 73 grille and put the 71 grille back on

awsome car ,but i think you have to change the color of the engine LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back