Hello from Iowa!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOWnSTEADY

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach One
2000 Chevrolet Impala
1987 Mazda RX7 (Turbo SBF swapped)
1987 Toyota 4Runner (7MGTE swapped)

few other projects...
Hey guys, new here, obviously. first, I want to thank droptop73 for referring me to this site!!

The name is Keith, I am 24, from Cedar Rapids, IA and the reason for joining this site is because I have a 1973 Mach One. I have been in love with the '69's and 73's since I can remember. Being that the '73 is cheaper, I decided to start with it since I have a few other projects going and am in school and have a son and soon to be wife.

I picked the car up from someone in IL who got it from someone in MA. I have had it a year and haven't really done a lot to it yet because I have been working on other projects but I finally started collecting parts and have the build all planned out for the most part. The car came with a complete, brand new black interior and a few boxes of NOS parts which I will probably sell because I am resto-modding and don't want to "waste" the brand new NOS parts.

I will reply with some more details as I tend to get long winded when I start talking about my baby and don't want to overwhelm anyone with my very first post! LOL So, if you are interested in hearing more, read on...

Last winter I built a pretty solid 4.6L DOHC modular motor setup with an 80mm turbo. The engine ended up making WAY too much power for anything other than an all-out race car so I sold it. I now have a mild 460 big block, I would guess in the 500-550 horsepower range. Along with it is a simple C6 with a TCI 3K stall converter. That is what will be going into it in the next couple months at some point.

I am still planning a modular motor swap but I am going 4.6L DOHC with the Cobra M112 setup instead of turbo. The car needs floor pans and a trunk pan, both are decent and could easily get away with patch panels but I figure "Do it once, do it right". It will be getting an 8.8" rearend from an FX4 ranger (locker, 31-spline axles, 3.25" tubes, disc brakes) and either a 4-link or ladder bar setup. the FX4 axle is about 3" narrower than the stock rearend which I am going to combine with a mini-tub and so I can run the modern 10.5"/325 rear wheel setup.

Interior is going to be pretty much stock other than the gauges. Exterior I am going to keep as smooth as possible, no emblems, no decals, no stripes etc. The color is going to be semi-gloss black, rims are going to be black with a polished lip.

here are some pictures, as you can see, it has a HORRIBLE paint job due to the person from MA (according to the guy I got it from in IL). A lot of the stuff that was done to the car was completely "rigged". lots of wood screws, zip ties, adhesive, cobbled wiring etc. Luckily, it came with a brand new wiring harness! Other than the dash but I am using aftermarket gauges and ignition and won't have heat or A/C, not sure what else the harness controls...

machonedrivers.jpg

machonepass.jpg

machonefront.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to the forums! Glad o have you aboard!

::welcome::

WELCOME aboard, Keith!

It is GREAT to have yet another big block ford fan who is installing or has installed a BBF in a '71-'73 Mustang - - you are in good company.

From your post, it appears you have really spent some time and effort in making a decision on your "project."

I look forward to interacting with you on the forums.

Again, Welcome!!

BT

Not yet... but I haven't really looked yet either. haha

Welcome to the spot. These guys know everything about this generation. Whether you're looking for NOS, custom or whatever.

Family first, mustang always. It's a tough balance, but it's a great outlet.

Thought I would just throw some more pretty stuff up to look at.

here is the modular short block I originally built for the Mach One originally. Forged Cobra Crank, DSS H-beam rods and DSS forged pistons, balanced of course.

25575114689249220418243.jpg

25575114689357223118243.jpg

25575114689317222118243.jpg

here is the 460 that will be going in the Mach One for the time being. It's original home was an '87 Mustang.

mustangroller005.jpg

engines001.jpg

D1VE block with stock rotating assembly

Lunati 61604 camshaft

double roller timing chain

D0VE heads (ported, 2.25/1.725 stainless valves, shaved .040")

stud mount Stainless Steel roller rockers (1.73)

Comp Cams rocker studs with poly locks

Lunati valve spring kit

comp cams guide plates

comp cams hardened push rods

Ported Ford Racing SVO intake (Performer RPM)

Holley 850 double Pumper

high torque mini starter

Aluminum H.V. water pump

Davis Unified Ignition HEI distributor

Ford Racing 9mm Spark Plug Wires

MSD 6-HVC ignition

I know ti's not 71-73 mustang but here is my other project. 1987 Mazda RX7 with a SBF swap. Originally a 5.0HO, converted to carb and had a 200 shot of nitrous. I ditched the nitrous stuff and am in the process if installing a 70mm turbo on it with a home built Holley Blow-thru carb. The car has a full body kit and giant 5" exhaust tips. I am trying to keep it as "import" looking as possible. I get the "probably a slow ricer car" thing alot until that guy in his $50K corvette gets a really good look at my tail lights for a while. Best part about this project is I have about $2500-$3000 in it and have been low 10's (Once, then I got trailered because I don't have a roll cage)

Just an engine bay picture. Nothing with the turbo setup yet as I am not very far on it due to the cold/snow and lack of motivation.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool looking project hope to see more of it and talking in the future..... welcome

No updates yet, sorry. I should be getting the car over to my new shop in the next couple weeks, that is when the real work can actually start. As of right now, I am working on Project RX5.0Turbo in the little single stall attached garage I have. So, the Mach One is sitting outside covered in snow (and a car cover).

hi from austria!! welcome aboard and happy new year to all!!

Great to see that a younger guy is interested in these cars and looking to do some new tech updates. Looking forward to hearing about your build.
Heyy!! are you suggesting we are old people here!? je!

Hello and welcome Keith!! Nice car and i share your love for 1969 mach 1...

I have a story to tell about one of them... another unique car in my country... Well... later i´ll post it somewhere...

Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back