white or clear? (close up pics added on post 25)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What rear backup lens is better?

• Total voters
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
So, 71 and 72 had clear backup lens, the 73 had white. (Man, I hope I got that right). My car has one of each. Which one is better??? I like clear, the wife says white is better. I have a spare one of each so which one do I replace?? The poll question is which do you prefer...

UPDATE FROM ORIGINAL POSTER. THE ABOVE STATEMENT MAY BE FACTUALLY INCORRECT. I HAVE NOT CONFIRMED THAT THEY CHANGED IN 1973 AND SEE SEVERAL EXAMPLES OF 1973 CARS THAT HAVE CLEAR.

Well, another update. (5/28/2012). Turns out I was probably wrong and that they all came with clear lens. The question is where did the white one's come from? My assumption is a replacement part. If so, then the 'which is better' question is answered 'Clear' since they were original...

1024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally like the clear lens better. Also, it definately looks like the left side of your bumper has been pulled out a bit.
Yeah, I posted that pic in another thread and pointed out that it looked funny. The deformity is not obvious when you see the car. I have some measurements and fitting to do...

I like the idea of white matching the top....

Never heard about 2 different kind of lenses !?

Have too look what my 72 has , i prefer the clear.

JB

I wonder what prompted the change from clear in 71/72 to white in 73. It looks like the camaros also got white lenses in 73 also. maybe it was a part of the legislation that required the impact absorbing bumpers.

I am not polling for what I should use... I like to know what you all think.

Maybe there was some law, although I think there are clear lenses on cars now. Maybe they ran out of clear?? ;)

I didn't know people didn't know there was a difference. Would have made a good question of the week.

That's interesting, I never noticed the different white and clear lens before either. I knew that the 71/72's had the inset around the tail light lens painted black and the 73's were unpainted. I say go with the clear!

You know, I have seen a few pics of 1973 mustangs and they have clear lens. I wonder what the criteria was for having white lens vs clear? I looked in the gallery and all of the 1973 had clear. I may be wrong about this. I wonder if 'replacement' lenses were white? I think my car may have been in a mild rear ender at one point in its 40 years (before I got it). I might post up another thread asking if anyone has white.

Update: I went and looked, both lens have the same part number. Weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back