SPARK PLUG WIRES FOR HEADERS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikleins29

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback 351cleveland 4 speed
ON MY CLEVELAND I AM RUNNING HOOKER HEADERS. THE SPARK PLUGS ARE NORMAL ONES. I AM TRYING TO INSTALL MY PRO COMP ELECTRONICS PLUG WIRES. THE SPARK PLUG END OF THE WIRE LOOKS REALLY STUMPY COMPARED TO THE STOCK ONES SO I AM GUESSING THESE ARE FOR HEADERS. THE PROBLEM IS IN ORDER TO PUT THEM ON I HAVE TO CONNECT IT WITH THE 90 DEGREE FACING DOWN OR THE PLUGS ARENT LONG ENOUGH TO REACH THEM WHEN THEY FACE UP. IS THIS RIGHT OR AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG HERE.

You should put a liitle dialectric grease on the boot and then slide it up a little so the electrode is just sticking out. Slide it onto the plug until it clicks in place. Then slide the insulating boot down over the plug. Should be a nice snug fit.

If they are close to the headers, get a good grip on the boot with your palm where the electrode is and give it a liitle push to slightly bend them away.

Always put a little dab of dialectric grease on the porcelain part of the plug, or just inside the boot, this will make it easy to take off in the future and they will never get stuck on.

Yes they are angled this is what I mean

The boots are angle how can I make them work

IMAG0672.jpg

IMAG0673.jpg

IMAG0674.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If they come too close to your headers, the make high temp sleeves that will protect them. Good to 1200 degrees.

I have some Taylor straight end cut-to-fit wires on my car with Hooker headers. Been on the car for about 13 years now and still doing good.

You'll find the "45 degree" boots listed as "135 degree".

(135 + 45 = 180, with the 180 being "straight")

I like the 135's fitment better too.

The 90 degree'ers are a small block Chebby thing...

interesting. I have the straight and now that you mention it, a 135/45 degree would probably work better. I have some MSD wires so I won't be replacing them anytime soon. They work well but I wouldn't mind a cleaner look.

interesting. I have the straight and now that you mention it, a 135/45 degree would probably work better. I have some MSD wires so I won't be replacing them anytime soon. They work well but I wouldn't mind a cleaner look.
I have the MSD with the straights too, if you are careful you can bend the pug electrode just enough to get a little degree out of the rear two plugs. That was what I did and it worked out nicely.

Back