Roll bar (Shelby Style or otherwise) for our convertibles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
The 69/70 shelby mustang convertibles came with a pretty cool looking roll bar. Anyone seen one retrofitted or something similar in our mustangs? Done right I think i would look pretty slick.

1969-1970-ford-mustang-20.jpg

images

I would love to have a roll bar, though it would have to be done right.

The main purpose would be to support a shoulder harness for the seat belt. As I understand the situation, convertible roll bars are cosmetic, though seat belts were mounted to them.

I don't know how hard it would be to get these to fit:

http://www.cobranda.com/19shcocoroba.html

Maybe we have a lottery of all the convertible owners on thi s forum. For $10 a ticket you get a shot at trying to install the above roll bar. That would require 120 convertible owners at one ticket each.

I would buy a couple of tickets, but give the roll bar away to someone who might actually know how to weld/cut/shim these things onto a 73 Mustang. The instructions offered by Branda are fecal matter as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is on my wish list too. The guys on Musclecar TV fabricated one for a Firebird convertible. It didn't look that hard. Branda makes one for a 70 I think. I wonder how close the dimensions are. These are decorations, not structural roll bars.

Measurements would be interesting. My qtr panels are already modified. Interesting....

I remember seeing the roll bar in their old catalogs... never thought to look on line. :)

Oh... rollbar only:

http://www.cobranda.com/19shcorobar1.html

One nice thing about this rollbar is the look of the padding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I have seen one of ours with the Shelby roll bar.... somewhere on a pic.

Don't remember where though. It was in a picture with Mustangs from different years and the 71 was yellow and in the left corner of the pic.

Didn't look too bad.

I'm gonna get down to work and try to find it.

I found this link to some photos but it is not a shelby roll bar.

roll bar

I saw one in Nashville at the 40th. 1973 Convertible (Black w/ black interior). It was a pretty nice job. I'll have to see if I have any digital pics of it. As I recall the Owner was from Michigan.

I have been looking for a while and did not find anything.

Could someone check the last few editions of the Mustangs Unimited catalog, maybe 5 or 6 years back? If I remember correctly, it was one of the posters they had for sale.

I checked their website and it did not show up.

Don't like the looks but I will never get my wife to ride in it if one isn't installed. She knows how I drive!

DSC00750.JPG

I've never seen one retrofit, but IMO (for what it's worth) it breaks up the clean lines of a convertible. Not a fan of the roll bar.
+1 on sm3570's post. Not a fan either and even if I was - requires butchering the interior to make it look mildly acceptable.

Ray

The look pretty good on the late model Mustangs, but I think they call them light bars and have the third brake light in them.

Here are some various pics of the late model. Probably look good in the 71 73's if done right.

JStang4.jpg

2008shelbymustangconvertible.jpg

NewInteriorJun093.jpg

DSC04597.jpg

I was just discussing this with my wife as I was reading the trend, and she said: "a role bar won't look right with our color Mustang (light blue), if it was red ot black it would look better."

so I guess there is no way I'm getting one now :(

Back