Roll bar (Shelby Style or otherwise) for our convertibles

will e

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them personally. I'm going to build on eventually for my 68 Galaxie. I was going to have it sent to Coverlay? I think, they were doing all the dash pad recovering. I would imagine that the sn197 bar would be a very good fit. KT 69 I never seen those photos of the Kount Kustoms car before, the last ones I saw never had the bar.

In their December 2013 issue Mopar Action magazine featured a pretty cool Challenger.

I kinda liked the roll bar on that one. It's welded into the frame to supplement the subframe connectors as this car had a high performance modern suspension.

The roll bar makes it look very race ready.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421838382.113649.jpg.d03c6faeac629ddb61c693e16fb86cc9.jpg

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

will e,

Member Mark White has a Shelby style roll bar on his car and if you ask me it looks pretty darn good. Perhaps you could pm him to find out the details although I believe he said it was on there when he bought the car.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-mustang-convertible--20134

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

Hey guys I think that Shelby did not call it a roll bar. That makes some liability if the car rolls and it does not hold it up. For it to do a good job it has to be braced to the front and back to prevent it bending. You should be able to find one made for Mustangs out there for the drag guys. When you go so fast you have to have them.

Davie

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• 2 months later...

Hmm, I don´t really like that roll bar. It´s too thin to look good. It may be effective and keep the car rigid but the Shelby style ones are wider.

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

Hmm, I don´t really like that roll bar. It´s too thin to look good. It may be effective and keep the car rigid but the Shelby style ones are wider.

It looks like it might make getting in and out difficult. I love the way the roll bar looked on the 68 Shelby convertible but this doesn't improve the look of this car.At least in my opinion.

Going fast is fun but life is short so slow down and enjoy the ride :D Frank

Getting in and out would be a PITA! At least for anybody my age. ;)

It just doesn't look finished like a factory would make and sell them.

If they had at least used bigger diameter tubing for the bar it would have looked better.

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

Getting in and out would be a PITA! At least for anybody my age. ;)

It just doesn't look finished like a factory would make and sell them.

If they had at least used bigger diameter tubing for the bar it would have looked better.

Totally agree, bigger diameter tubing would look a lot better, especially considering the meat under the hood!

• 2 weeks later...

It's all about the looks to me. I would want it to look good, not necessarily improve the safety. Sound crazy? Maybe, but if you don't have it to begin with and you've been happy all these years? The Shelby style looks coolest and a third brake light could be really cool but...I'm still not sure I can envision it on my car yet. I'm just going to keep watching :cool:

JHawk

J-Hawk-1-1.jpg

JHawk's Garage

There is a place in Alabaster, AL, Impatient Creations, that is currently working on a '71 vert. The work seems very nice and this roll bar is something that I could find visually appealing. But this restoration ain't cheap!!!!

www.impatientcreations.com/Current_Projects/71_Mustang_Convertible.htm

Yeah, that looks promising.

Something else:

Look at this pic. The plastic simulates a roof line.... Doesn´t that just scream "CHARGER" at first glance?!? Man, how I´d love to see a car with that for a roof!

Kurt, if you´re there, please make a photoshop of this. :)

ford_321.JPG.bec5244126c756b591db04c328595594.JPG

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

• 3 weeks later...

I have installed several of the Shelby type bars in fastbacks. There they tie into the top of the roof as well and make for a very sturdy setup if done with molly steel. Covert need a xtra angle brace at the bottom to help give them xtra strength. I would trust one like that to provide a high degree of roll protection at normal speeds. Speeds over and above 70 mph then I would not be so sure. Either way they do add a great deal of stiffness to the chassis and improve handling and a very solid road feel.

Memphis "I'm a little tired, I'm a little wired , and I think I deserve a little appreciation"

• 1 month later...

The 69/70 shelby mustang convertibles came with a pretty cool looking roll bar. Anyone seen one retrofitted or something similar in our mustangs? Done right I think i would look pretty slick.

1969-1970-ford-mustang-20.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-CTiotOWU7Z6aAVyq1r6-XFbh2XIY_Ky5D_3kbJLc40RBpXS9

I installed a 1989, I believe, Mustang roll bar in my 71. I made the side panels, and put in the shoulder harness. I was able to use existing bolt holes for the power window brackets to support it, without modifying the car by drilling or welding. 2 each 5/16 grade 8 bolts on either side make it sturdy, but it is not a safety device. I kept the templates, if anyone wants to try it. I found the '89 bar side angle closely follows the lines of the window angles, and looks ok. People sitting up on the back of the convertible top in parades like it for support. ABS panels with an original texture are available at TAP Plastics...Mark

rolls.thumb.JPG.ffa9e11d37ecd8de0292c45d060fd77e.JPG

The 69/70 shelby mustang convertibles came with a pretty cool looking roll bar. Anyone seen one retrofitted or something similar in our mustangs? Done right I think i would look pretty slick.

I installed a 1989, I believe, Mustang roll bar in my 71. I made the side panels, and put in the shoulder harness. I was able to use existing bolt holes for the power window brackets to support it, without modifying the car by drilling or welding. 2 each 5/16 grade 8 bolts on either side make it sturdy, but it is not a safety device. I kept the templates, if anyone wants to try it. I found the '89 bar side angle closely follows the lines of the window angles, and looks ok. People sitting up on the back of the convertible top in parades like it for support. ABS panels with an original texture are available at TAP Plastics...Mark

Mark,

I would be interested in the template. Thanks for posting.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

Mark,

Give me an email with a ship too address, and you will be keeper of the templates! BagManMark@aol.com

• 4 months later...

Mark,

Give me an email with a ship too address, and you will be keeper of the templates! BagManMark@aol.com

Any chance of getting a copy of the templates? if so, please send to mpbsr25@aol.com. Pretty sure I have a shop who would be willing to attempt this.

Thanks

I would have some interest in the template, too. That is pretty close to what I have been considering for my 73. Mark, if you are willing to send the template, or if anyone else has it, please PM me here or send to woolznaz@yahoo.com. mbsr, if you get anywhere with this, please let us know.