manual conversion or keep auto

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73nancy

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 mustang
1968 ford f100
1971 honda cb750
hey guys trying to figure what i want to do with my mach. it has a 351c 2v with a c-6. i want to have fun with the car and all my daily drivers have been manuals. so i have two main options keep the c6 and put a shift kit with a ratchet shifter and a reverse valve body with a higher stall. or i can convert it to manual with either a top loader and or a modern 5 speed. what do you guys think. i want to keep it stock looking as possible and i wanted to keep my center console. but could you get a full console with a 4 speed car?

I guess it depends on how big your check book is and how bad you want it.

I've got the C6 and I'am happy with it since it's just a sunny day weekend cruiser so won't be going through the hassles and costs of putting a top loader in, it's all individual choices on our cars. Something about the rapid, sharp shifts of the C6 just feels natural on the car...although the lack of a 4th gear can wear on you on a long freeway trip.

so i have two main options keep the c6 and put a shift kit with a ratchet shifter and a reverse valve body with a higher stall. or i can convert it to manual with either a top loader and or a modern 5 speed. what do you guys think.
1. Dump the C6.

2. I vote top loader over the modern 5 speed because I absolutely hate the short shifting. To me, there is nothing better then pulling down on that Hurst shifter to go from 1st to 2nd and smoking those tires...those were the days.

3. If you do go top loader, please keep a detailed parts list. There are one or two parts that are difficult to obtain, but I can't think of what they are at this time.

could you get a full console with a 4 speed car?
Absolutely.

so i have two main options keep the c6 and put a shift kit with a ratchet shifter and a reverse valve body with a higher stall. or i can convert it to manual with either a top loader and or a modern 5 speed. what do you guys think.
1. Dump the C6.

2. I vote top loader over the modern 5 speed because I absolutely hate the short shifting. To me, there is nothing better then pulling down on that Hurst shifter to go from 1st to 2nd and smoking those tires...those were the days.

3. If you do go top loader, please keep a detailed parts list. There are one or two parts that are difficult to obtain, but I can't think of what they are at this time.

could you get a full console with a 4 speed car?
Absolutely.
Top loader! The hard part to find is the z-bar.

I converted from a c-6 to a t-5 last winter. I LOVE the change. The car moves easy, much less throttle is necessary for the same acceleration. The t-5 shifter comes directly up through the stock hole in the floor and console. With a hurst style lever and a t handle it would have a stock / vintage feel.

Here's my conversion thread.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-c-6-to-t-5-swap

I have a 4spd with 3:25 rear and the full console

Love it

I converted from a c-6 to a t-5 last winter. I LOVE the change. The car moves easy, much less throttle is necessary for the same acceleration. The t-5 shifter comes directly up through the stock hole in the floor and console. With a hurst style lever and a t handle it would have a stock / vintage feel.

Here's my conversion thread.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-c-6-to-t-5-swap
Jeff, I thought yours was a 302...the T5 should be ok but take extra care if you ever powershift it. :d I wonder if there is a way to use the Hurst shifter on it & if that would make it feel like a top loader.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top loader! The hard part to find is the z-bar.
Is the z-bar the piece that has a shaft at it's center and rotates when you push in the clutch?

If you had one, would it be hard to duplicate?

I converted to a tremec 4 years ago. I had the z bar and linkage but ended up going with a modern driveline cable. Best mod I have done, the performance and fun factor went up considerably.

A Z bar would be no problem to make for any decent welder fabricator . . . if they had the right year version to work from. That being said, they are out there and can be found if you search.

David Key makes every single part for a toploader transmission

Keisler makes a really nice 5 speed conversion based upon the T-45 that when ordered properly will handle loads of torque and fits nicely in out mustangs without alteration to the sheetmetal.

It does use a T-5 Shifter, and with an adapter you can use the recreated "T" handle on it. I have an original, and so far I have not found an adapter to be able to use it though a machinist could whip one up easily enough.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JBA-1650Z/?rtype=10

Keisler makes a T-45 conversion transmission and the fit is great. It can be built to handle whatever street power level you want and is decently priced and their service is very good;

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the great info guys. yeah the c6 is a durable transmission my f100 has one and i cant complain. but it does rob some power. if i went to a modern transmission id prob not go with the t-5 i have a world class in my 89 vic and i love it but i have a stock motor in that. i feel with the 351c she might not hold up.

as far as cost goes I'm not to worried at this point the car is a long term project. i figure if i rebuild my c6 and buy all the goodies for it or go with a c4 i will be over 1k anyways. i can probably pick up a top loader and rebuild it myself of course converting my car is going to take more cash.

as far as rear gear i have 3.89 out back in the 9 inch with the 4 speed not sure how much rpm i will be pulling at say 70?

how much did you spend on your t-45 if you dont mind me asking jeff73mach1.

Changed my 73 Mach 1 351C from a FMX to toploader. It was really worth it but I think if i had to do it again I would go for a 5 speed. It really takes quite a while to round up all the factory parts to do it right. If you need any information on the change or maybe any pic's drop me a note. Good luck!

I converted my '68 coupe from a 302/C-4 to a 393w with a Tremec TKO-600 with a kit from Modern Driveline. The kit was very reasonable and easy to install. Now I plan to do the same swap on my '73 Mach-1

Back