What Plugs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What brand plugs are you using? Have a set of Autolite now, but have had 2 plugs fail. What about Platinum?

Alan L
Alan, I use Autolite and NGK. What was the nature of the plug failures? Chuck

My recommendation would depend on the ignition you are running.

Stock/Stock Electronic(such as Pertronix...regardless of coil), Autolite Copper.

HEI...a TRUE HIGH VOLTAGE electronic ignition, platinum with about a .44 gap.

Alan,

I tended to go with Autolite when I was running Clevelands but like Chuck, I am curious as to the "nature" of your two failures. Perhaps there is something else going on that is not unique to the brand of plugs.

BT

I run NGK's in everything. Fords run especially well on them. The Harley dealer pitches a fit when he see's them in my bike and tells me I need to replace them with Champions, but then at the same time commented that my 7 year old bike runs better then 90% of the newer bikes he sees..hmmmmm, but I guess I should change to Champions cuz thats what I am supposed to run???

Anyway, I highly recommend the NGK's. NGK's have a specific heat range that only spans 1-2 temps. Autolite's usually cover 10-12. Pretty big range there.

but I guess I should change to Champions cuz thats what I am supposed to run???
No one believes it is a true Harley if the motorcycle is running well.

What brand plugs are you using? Have a set of Autolite now, but have had 2 plugs fail. What about Platinum?

Alan L
Also, if only 2 plugs are failing, you really might have just gotten 2 bad plugs.

What cylinders are they?

Have you checked your spark?

Are you gapping your plugs? If these plugs had a smaller gap, less of an arc and less ability to burn fuel off the plug.

Which ignition do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the autolite AR plugs.

Back