timing

coilwire

I need to find out what some of you are running for total timing? What RPM does everything come in and what stall are you running Right now I am running am running a 2500 stall. Am in the process of trying to fine tune the car now that the electrical problem is fixed. It was the positive battrey cable that was giving me my problem.

Am hoping to have the car at the track sunday and trying to figure out where to set timing on it.

Thanks

JIm

drive it like you stole it

Am hoping to have the car at the track sunday and trying to figure out where to set timing on it.

Thanks

JIm

I can't help, but you might want to go here for some help also...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/

Is your distributor timing locked, meaning no vacuum and no centrifugal advance? Don't race cars have their timing fixed?

11jmcuc.png

351C Bold Manners, Brash Attitude

Favorite Teams: Michigan Wolverines and Whoever Is Playing Ohio State.

When I drive past a herd of cows, the cows MOO at me

That is a really loaded question depending on your cam lift and duration, pistons, head volume and vacuum available. Are you using the vacuuum advance on your distributor?

2rr7aiv.png

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.

Wolverine thanks for the info on network54. Mark I am running an Isky cam. Specs are lift .565 .565, 280 deg. 280 deg, @.050 .232 .232 with a seperation of 108 deg. No vacume advance , flat top pistons .040 over with an MSD set up and a 2500 stall. What I am looking for is a starting point where everything comes in.

Jim

drive it like you stole it

Jim,

We had a great deal of discussion on this in the past and IMHO 72HCODE has the best advice for setting up your engine with a vacuum gauge and timing light. Take a look at this thread. I think it will help with the set up (very nice by the way) you have.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-runs-like-crap?page=3

2rr7aiv.png

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.

Assuming you have high enough octane fuel to support it, 16-18 initial, 34-36 total mechanical, all advance in by 2500-2600 RPM. The convertor sounds a little tight but should work OK. Chuck

Assuming you have high enough octane fuel to support it, 16-18 initial, 34-36 total mechanical, all advance in by 2500-2600 RPM. The convertor sounds a little tight but should work OK. Chuck

Sounds about right. Just really depends on what the motor likes.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

One other issue regarding timing is to know what the timing of the cam is in regards to the crankshaft.

I believe prior to emissions, the cam was 4-6 degrees BTOD(Advanced) but then in 72, the cam was set to 4-6 degrees ATOD(Retarded). For performance you want the 0-6 BTOD.

This is another one of those little gotchas.

11jmcuc.png

351C Bold Manners, Brash Attitude

Favorite Teams: Michigan Wolverines and Whoever Is Playing Ohio State.

When I drive past a herd of cows, the cows MOO at me

One other issue regarding timing is to know what the timing of the cam is in regards to the crankshaft.

I believe prior to emissions, the cam was 4-6 degrees BTOD(Advanced) but then in 72, the cam was set to 4-6 degrees ATOD(Retarded). For performance you want the 0-6 BTOD.

This is another one of those little gotchas.

What does BTOD and ATOD stand for ?

I have a very similar comp cam in my engine. (CC4V with dished factory pistons) I ran a number of Dyno pulls and my engine liked 35-36 degrees and went backwards with more timing (which is a bit odd) With higher compression, I would expect to 38 degrees total timing all in by about 3000. Initial is about 13 degrees on mine, but set by vacuum and ended up there

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Before Top Dead Center and After Top Dead Center.

I know BTDC and ATDC

He has

BTOD and ATOD ?

Never heard of that

Bachman Turner OverDrive. and Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs :D

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Before Top Dead Center and After Top Dead Center.

I know BTDC and ATDC

He has

BTOD and ATOD ?

Never heard of that

Bachman Turner OverDrive. and Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs :D

Better Turn Other Direction

Already Tried Other Direction

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]