Hydroboost Brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a hydro boost used from a 06 stang. still goofing around with wiring right now but i plan to install mine soon.

The mounting bracket looks like the biggest difference...i can get sum pix later :)

I just bought a hydro boost used from a 06 stang. still goofing around with wiring right now but i plan to install mine soon.

The mounting bracket looks like the biggest difference...i can get sum pix later :)
Awesome. What calipers, rotors, etc, are you using? How do you plan to actuate your parking brake?

If I understand correctly you can use almost any caliper and rotor you want. (that fits)

The correct proportioning valve allows for this. For now, because I just want to get my

car moving. Im going to use stock calibers and rotors up front. I'm also rebuilding my rear

drums that are again.. stock. The parking brake will have no affect on the hydroboost.

Stock setup should be fine. Any one chime in if I missing something...

...The parking brake will have no affect on the hydroboost...
Of course, I read you on that. What I meant to ask was, in case you're using late model Cobra brakes, for instance, are you also planning to transplant a parking brake handle (instead of using a pedal for actuating the parking brake). I understand now that your incremental approach will not involve any change to your parking brake, and look forward to seeing how it goes.

honestly I don't plan to use a parking brake at all. Not at least till much further down the road.

I do plan to change my rear end to a 9". At that time i will upgrade to disc. If I do a PB I'll

opt to have a console brake lever. Just guessing this involves shorting the cable and a bit

of rerouting. :)

Here is the unit i got off the 06.

You can see the mounting bracket is the biggest difference.

vryc2a.jpg

351s681.jpg

2jg4ih5.jpg

Hey, that actually looks like it should make for a pretty simple transplant. How did you arrive at the choice of a 2006 unit, specifically, versus something else?
Just because it came from a Ford Mustang.

Iv seen other forums where others have done the same.

Ok, for the uninformed such as myself; what's a hydroboost?
Hydroboost performs the same function as a power brake booster.

Hydroboost ties in with your power steering rather then using vacuum.

They are used mostly on bigger trucks that need the extra braking power

or on cars with limited space.

Hydroboost is smaller, strong and doesn't need vacuum to work.

This is good for guys with low vacuum because of a big cam in their motor.

...Hydroboost is smaller' date=' strong and doesn't need vacuum to work.
This is good for guys with low vacuum because of a big cam in their motor.
This is the reason I'm interested in the hydroboost option. Also, there's the appeal of a high performance brake system comprised of late model OEM components.

Thought I'd add a visual aid that I found on another forum. I'm thinking that a power steering fluid cooler might be a good addition to the circuit, perhaps between the steering rack/box and the "tee fitting."

hydro.jpg
I too have checked around on other forums. I haven't seen any one using a

cooler, not even on a stock setup. Might not be a bad idea tho.

Back