You can pick my next modification!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do first

• MPG Monte Carlo bar and strut brace

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Radiator upgrade

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Holley Carbarator upgrade

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
I sold a differential, so now I have to put the proceeds back into my car.

(My house my rules)

The proceeds will cover 1 of three future upgrades. I am opening this up to the forum to vote and I will abide by the choice made here! It is like a game show where you can't win anything!

My existing Holley Double Pumper is a 700 CFM unit in perfect shape. If replaced and the new unit makes me happy I'll sell it for the next upgrade

Here is the one I am looking at.

http://www.holley.com/0-4781C.asp

Next option is a Strut tower and monte carlo brace. I've been wanting a Monte Carlo bar, but my distributor made it impossible. Now this one will work

http://www.mpgheads.com/monte_carlo_brace.php

My Stock radiator is marginal in stop and go traffic. It is otherwise very nice. If I replace it the old one can be sold to fund a different project.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/51922/10002/-1?parentProductId=#moreDetails

I would consider different sources for the purchase and if anyone has negative info about any of the listed products I'd be curious to know. Thanks.

Even though these are 3 very simple jobs, I'll document the work and any difficulties or unexpected issues and post it up here for the members to laugh at me over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm - tough call. I don't care for Holleys, and Monte Carlo bars are neat and all, but I'd get the radiator upgrade done first.

Rad replace w/ 90degree waterneck,bottom hose anti-crush spring,new thermostat if needed, petcock with anode.

Im thinking, if you need to do the radiator at all, you should probably do it now.. As for the carb, Ive had good luck with Holley and Deamon from Barry Grant.

radiator plus a mr. gasket high flow thermostat!!

not to mention a fan clutch w/ a fan to lessen the fan engagement.

Okay, okay okay! I'll do the radiator and a high flow aluminum water pump while I am at it. My car doesn't overheat, it just runs a bit hotter than I like in traffic. I usually avoid traffic due to my clutch and bad knee, but . . .

to answer a question

I want the bigger carb because my engine is built to use it. My current carb is holding me back in terms of top end power.

Now in all fairness when I change the carb and boost the power making ability , I will generate more heat, and the radiator first is a good idea, especially considering I am still breaking in my Kevlar clutch.

I already went to a electric fan when I did the AC conversion, so it is just a matter of dismounting it and remounting it when I change the radiator.

Thank you all for your participation in the Poll. I am looking at the aluminum radiator I posted, a and a Be Cool unit that is within 10 dollars of the same price that is proper for manual transmission cars. If you like a particular Aluminum radiator and high flow water pump, please feel free to post it up.

I didn't include those options cause

a) Barbie and I never got together. She was a doll, but I couldn't date a girl who isn't anatomically correct

b) my brother bought his first car with 4 different size wheels and tires on it and one even had a gallon of water inside; I was traumatized by that Camaro and didn't want to relive the nightmares.

c) I am saving the hood scoop mod for the next poll

d) No excuse mea culpa

Camo paint. . . saw a truck camo painted the other day and actually thought that looks pretty cool. I then threw up in my mouth.

I am in agreement on the radiator. Safe and relaible before any power adders in my book. I don't think I have ever seen this posted in the forum, but keep in mind the Clevelands have a brass restrictor under the thermostat that alot of people throw away and do not replace. They are hard to find now and I am not sure if they are reproduced. I will post a picture of one as I begin to tear into my engine in the coming weeks.

OK, I went out and found an article about the thermostat restrictor in addition to a guy who sells them. Here it is.

http://351cleveland.wetpaint.com/page/Brass+Bypass+Washer

Last edited by a moderator:
Back