351W EFI?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
So, I am trying to get the Stang shipped out to California from Texas to use as a daily driver. As it sits, the engine does not run and is the original 302 2bbl. I am playing with engine options and think I want to run a 351W with an EFI setup on top. I may stroke it the motor to 396, not too sure yet, as it would be my daily driver and that may be overkill for what I want it to be. I would run aluminum heads and probably hypereutectic pistons with H rods and stock crank. Not sure about a cam yet and have a couple of options when it comes to EFI. The following is the one I am looking at.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FS&Product_Code=30447-KIT&Category_Code=EFISystemEZIEFIKits

Anyone have experience with this system or heard of anything? Also, any inputs on heads and cam. Going to run an AOD out of a fox body behind the motor. Anything helps, any suggestions on where to get a block other than local junk yard? Thanks everyone!

- Nik

Can't help with a source. However, The F4TE blocks are cast to accept roller lifters. Look for 94-95 (maybe 96) truck and van engines. You might check DSC Motorsports in Anza CA. Chuck

Can't help with a source. However, The F4TE blocks are cast to accept roller lifters. Look for 94-95 (maybe 96) truck and van engines. You might check DSC Motorsports in Anza CA. Chuck
The F4 blocks were used up till 1997 in F-250/350 trucks when the body style changed.

(The F150's got the new body and modular engine in '97, Superduty in '98.)

I have one, along with GT40X aluminums, a few 5.0 cams and some carbed intakes. It is one of the undecided engine choices for my '71 also.

The short road home for a driver, IMO, would be a direct 5.0 HO swap from a Fox car. If you already had the heads and some long tube headers it should make a sweet, snappy cruiser.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to go EFI I second the idea of going 5.0L. You can stroke it & it has tons & tons of aftermarket support. Try checking with your local machine shops - I bet they'll have a 5.0L block sitting in a corner for sale...maybe with some of the machining already done on it.

full swap out of a fox body was my first instinct as well, but the extra umph of a 351 for such a heavy car was my idea behind that. either way the top end will be aluminum heads, efi of some sort and full msd ignition, cam and head type will be decided later. thanks for the input!

I put a 5.8 out of a 97 F250 in my 73 Mustang, but I went the carb route instead of EFI.

I put an EFI 5.0 in my 72 coupe with a t-5 and mine runs pretty good and it was surprisingly easy to do im getting ready to build a 5.8 with efi later on... its been a while and i need to get back on with some new pics of my car.

My 2 cents - for that kind of money, I'd go to the 5.0 set up as others have suggested. Unless you're especially attached to your 351, or originality is critically important, I don't think there's enough bang for the buck in making that mod to the original motor.

but the extra umph of a 351 for such a heavy car was my idea behind that.
A typical fox body (the original home of a 5.0 tips the scale between 3,000 to 3,400 pounds (factory). Our cars weigh in at the 3,400 pound mark. The 5.0's were pretty snappy out of the box and can be made much more so with just a little add on extras.

You might be surprised at how much fun your 71 would become as a daily driver with a 5.0 EFI. That, and I am thinking in time frame. Instead of having the car dowm for an extended engine build you would be up and going in no time.

but the extra umph of a 351 for such a heavy car was my idea behind that.
A typical fox body (the original home of a 5.0 tips the scale between 3,000 to 3,400 pounds (factory). Our cars weigh in at the 3,400 pound mark. The 5.0's were pretty snappy out of the box and can be made much more so with just a little add on extras.

You might be surprised at how much fun your 71 would become as a daily driver with a 5.0 EFI. That, and I am thinking in time frame. Instead of having the car dowm for an extended engine build you would be up and going in no time.
+1. Exactly! It would weigh even less with the 5.0 engine too. I have all the EFI conversion parts and GT-40 heads if anyone interested.

I am going to go against the grain and say go 351w based engine. I have a 351w powered foxbody mustang along with the 73 and love the low end torque the 351w makes, ultimately the decision is yours.

As far as the FAST EFI kit, I have no experience with that one. But I do have experience with EFI stroker Windsors. I had a 393w with a Vortech supercharger. Sumce i didnt go crazy with the cam, it was extremely tame. I drove it every day. My '68 coupe now, has a 393w with 10:1 compression, AFR-205 heads, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake with a 232/240 hydraulic roller cam. This too is very drivable.

Right now, I have a carb on it but I am getting ready for an EFI conversion. I purchassed my wiring kit from Ford but I know Painless Wiring as well as others sell it. I also have purchassed an Accufab 5.0 style throttle body, Pro-M mass air meter, A9L 5.0 computer and an EFI style intake. For the intake, I am using a Trick Flow long runner intake. It certainly doesn't look like it should be on a classic mustang but it fits well. And with extrude honing and port matching, i won't lose anything below 6000rpm.

Sorry I'm a little long winded but I hope this helps.

i believe in other forums have said a 351w out of a truck will be too tall to install into our cars with the stock hoods. however people say if you must, then find a 351w cobra motor which is somehow lower.

the 351w swap might mean u got the extra 49 inches but the parts will be more expensive and the 5.0 can make up the difference and the 5.0 has somewhat inexpensive turbo and supercharger kits made for them.

if you got 5.0 and you want to play, build her up to rev to 7000rpms and get a 4.30 gear with a tremec trans. if you can get a 5.0, then u are most likely able to get the transmission with it too then. easy swap.

i believe in other forums have said a 351w out of a truck will be too tall to install into our cars with the stock hoods.
I think the trick is to use the 5.8 FI lower intake with a stock (inline port) Mustang HO upper. The Cobra/GT40 is staggered port.

While looking cool, the stock truck setup is extremely tall, extremely heavy and uses the speed density (basically not tunable) computer.

As far as cost goes, a 351 doesn't really cost more than a 302/5.0L. The only thing that drives the costs are forged internals, aftermarket heads, etc..

As far as fitting goes, a Windsor will fit just fine. I have one in my '68 with an RPM Air gap intake which is even taller than the RPM Performer. I would stay away from the GT-40 and the Cobra intake. You can't port the runners and even the Extrude Honed Cobra intake is very constricting for a 351. Take a look at Trick Flow long runner intake or even the Edelbrock Super Victor EFI intake.

Just think, you can do a 393w stroker for not a lot much more than a healthy 5.0L.

My 96 Bronco is mass air and not speed density. Hard to come by but some California 95 5.8 were also mass air, along with all 96 in Broncos , F150 and F250. Then the 97 F250 also has mass air. The problem I run into is since 96 was one year only mass air and OBDII can't find headers or performance parts.

I would certainly keep to pre-96. But you can find Mass Air 5.0L's all the time. As for the computer, the A9L is the preferred one for performance.

Back