Occupations

RocketFoot

After reading all the posts on this thread, I have to say WOW! Amazing amount of talent.

I am 3 year army vet, two years of Automotive machinist school, 10 years a UPS as a mechanic and district fleet supervisor, 10 years as a ford sales consultant, the last 11 years at King County Metro Transit as bus driver and now transit supervisor in Seattle.

When I grow up I want specialize in 65-73 mustangs, mild to wild.

Staci

Wow, everyone here is amazingly talented and well-employed!

Me, I trained as a mechanic, and worked all of my life in the automotive field. Not always easy, a female in a man's world but most of it has been fun.

Now, I work about 30 hours a week for my local NAPA store, because I also take care of my elderly parents and the house and yard. Also because of major back surgery 18 months ago, I have to watch how long I am on my feet.

But lots of time to play with the car!

"What this means for me is I'm coming out my comfort zone," I feel you, had to re-invent myself starting about a year ago went from being self-employed and in charge for years to the bottom of the pile in manufacturing maintenance. grrrr Hang tough !

Yes, I'll be going from "general manager" to bottom of totem pole. However I think it's for the best, this new company provides more training and more experience for me to dive into and learn. Plus it's more money, less hours and hopefully less stress. Being responsible for anything and everything over last 4 years has taken its tole on me. I couldn't even have time off or a vacation without worrying about something at the business. It's just not for me and while I'm still young I will go on to explore new ventures.

Best wishes on the new position matrixx! I completely understand the toll management and supervision can take. You NEVER get a vacation, even when away I ended up answering email and taking phone calls from my team. I recently steped out of the supervisory role and back into a training role. It still has many of the job responsibilities of the supervisor but without having to babysit 30 - 60 year old men.

Learning and growing always stretches a person's comfort zone. Remember, if you're not growing you're dying. I've done many things in my life and have been scared out of my mind with some of the changes but have never been afraid to try. The biggest thing is relying on the level of peace I felt about the change.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Best wishes on the new position matrixx! I completely understand the toll management and supervision can take. You NEVER get a vacation, even when away I ended up answering email and taking phone calls from my team. I recently steped out of the supervisory role and back into a training role. It still has many of the job responsibilities of the supervisor but without having to babysit 30 - 60 year old men.

Learning and growing always stretches a person's comfort zone. Remember, if you're not growing you're dying. I've done many things in my life and have been scared out of my mind with some of the changes but have never been afraid to try. The biggest thing is relying on the level of peace I felt about the change.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Well I called back and accepted the job and I go Monday to fill out all the paperwork. This company only used ford vehicles except for the really big stuff. Ford trainers will be coming in once they have 15 people for the ford training class. Me included we will have 8 so they need to find a few more bodies to make 15 which is required by ford to start a class.

I'm definitely excited about it. Being able to punch out at the end of they day and leave worry behind will be really nice. So as long as everything goes through ok on Monday I will be all set and ready to go. Just need to gather my tools and haul my box up there.

"If your not growing you're dying" - well this how I've felt over last several years. Getting to the point of not having anything to look forward to anymore.

• 2 months later...

my 1st job I worked as a cleanup guy in a local mechanic shop, after that I went to work at walmart had a dispute with the new boss after a change in management went to school to be a C.N.A, found out that for 1 they lied when they said itd be easy to get hired in the nursing field as a guy and 2 I love to help people but Im not made for that kinda work I guess, and now im just hoping that I get my call back from home depot tomorrow XP I think I should just go to school to get certified in welding I can stick weld pretty good lol, thankfully ive got a supportive girlfriend and family and im still young enough to do most anything.

Drive it, Break it, Fix it, repeat:D

I work for MasterCard Worldwide. I'm an Operations Architect. I'm ITIL V3 Certified for Incident, Problem, and Change framework, and I work with our various internal application Teams (ever heard of Priceless!) to deliver high availability applications across multiple platforms (JBOSS, Websphere, etc). Been in this business for 19 years and love it.

Middle-School Teacher. Pray for me!:D

My prayers are with you. :cool: What do you teach? I taught high school science for 13 years before moving to the dark side (administration).

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

I am still in school but have an awesome job. I am a "home furnishings professional" at Cardi's Furniture (otherwise known as a salesperson, however we don't push people to buy like you would think a salesperson would do). Its a job to die for if you are my age in college.

Its a hard job, but pays well if you can sell. The best part is meeting customers (only when they are nice).

My prayers are with you. :cool: What do you teach? I taught high school science for 13 years before moving to the dark side (administration).

Ahhhh! I teach Title Math 6-8th and have 2 classes of each every day. I'm in my 4th year and will start working on my Admin Master's in January. This is my third career and I'm a non-traditional educator. My degree is in International Business instead of Ed. It's crazy but I have a lot of grace for this age group and they need that.

What a wide verity of people into the best years that mustang were made. We have attorneys, police, mechanics, architects, IT people, trash men, mustang babes, rocket scientists, teachers and a whole lot of old people. So if we were on our own island with this great group of people sooner or later my services would be needed as I have been a Funeral Director for more than 20 years and I love helping people during the worst time of their life.

What a wide verity of people into the best years that mustang were made. We have attorneys, police, mechanics, architects, IT people, trash men, mustang babes, rocket scientists, teachers and a whole lot of old people. So if we were on our own island with this great group of people sooner or later my services would be needed as I have been a Funeral Director for more than 20 years and I love helping people during the worst time of their life.

Yep,

I would say your job commands a certain amount of "job security". The older I get the more I think about dying. I have seen plenty of both unfortunate and fortunate end of lives in my time. I am a firm believer that some simply do not deserve to walk among us here on the planet.

• 1 month later...

I'm a furniture designer. In the 90s I worked for a few years in Brunei working for the Sultan of Brunei, designing furniture for his palaces. After that I became Head of Design for David Linley Furniture (the Queen's nephew) for 15 years. I now run my own Furniture design company.

Mark

I am currently finishing my contract with the Marine Corps as a reservist. My MOS is 3521 (diesel Mechanic). My day job is a Parts assistant manager working for Napa in northern california. We are working on setting up a care center and i will be the shop supervisor when we get it set up here soon hopefully

• 3 weeks later...

I currently work for UPS. I am the ORION supervisor. I handle maintenance on Northwest Iowas mapping software coordinates, along with address databases. I am also an Electrical Engineering student, luckily I was military before all that, so I can still support my habits.

Yea, Though I cruise through the valley of the Shadow of Rice, I will fear no Turbo, For Thine Torque art with me. Thy forged rods and crankshaft, they comfort me.

Thou preparest a strip before me in the presence of four cylinder enemies: thou anointest my heads with high octane; my quarter mile victories runneth over.

Surely Horsepower and RPM's shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will race on the streets and strips forever.

• 4 weeks later...

I took a early retirement due to health issuses and now I have the time to get my 77 Ranchero back on the road, swap parts from one 73 Grande to the wifes "new" 73 Grande, (her birthday present) and build custom furniture, rebuild my stock photography inventory, work on our 2 acres of land, take care of another piece of property, -2 1/2 acres. I turned wrenchs for a living on everything from weedeaters to transit buses, managed a shop, trained mechanics, was a freelance photographer and have 5 tool boxes crammed full of mechanics tools and my "big" tool box is a Snap on " MUSTANG" box. Our 2 car garage is now my woodworking shop until I win the lottery and can afford to enlarge it the way I want to. I also do alot of the cooking, cleaning, shopping, yard work like a good "retired" husband should do. I have learned over the years that if "shes not happy, neither will you"