Ah-Ha, Oh F$$$ Moment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ponydrvr72

Reaction score
My Car
72Mach1 79 F-100
Going thru a parts drawer the other day i came across a set of hardened exhaust seats for a 2v cleveland, i had to think a minute of where i got them. thats right they came back with my 302c heads from the shop! I had sent them down along with some seals and springs etc. to be installed on the heads. A few days after i dropped off the heads a tech called me up and said those seats wont fit, I just said well do what you got to do to get a set that does. Ive had nothing but trouble with these heads, a detination,on again off again performance. I've rejetted,advance cam,different dizzy's,fuels,etc,chasing a problem that wouldnt be fixed. because,,,wait for it,,,, I've got 4v valves in 2v,58cc closed chamber heads! when i saw that bag of seats my high anxiety moment started, i quickly walked over to my receipt file and found the parts list for the head build and there it was ,manley 2.19-1.71! Now i'm not saying it cant be done cause it is done but you need to port like a man with a cnc driven hand,raise the floor,unshroud and hope like hell you dont strike water. In hind sight, i should have driven to the west coast and stuck these heads right up that buggers arse. when the tech called i wish i would have been aware, and asked him to go with a 3v valve set up. I'm not even going to fritter with these heads for now,i'm taking them off and reinstalling my U.S. 2v's.

one side sounds great,the other like a washing machine on agitate with exhaust. ive got some pictures in my garage,the head that works has these divits in the exhaust ports,maybe to rough up and slow down the pulse? i'll check em out further when i pull and measure them. maybe i can have the speed shop discount me and put in some 4v windsor valves.

Which is even funnier since I have a set of 2V heads with 4V valves in them that I got on a craigslist engine. But the shortblock is pristine, and the price with an FMX was $150.00 bucks and I have given away the FMX and used the front motor cover.

Disaassembly of this one suggests that it ran fine before it was pulled.

Which is even funnier since I have a set of 2V heads with 4V valves in them that I got on a craigslist engine. But the shortblock is pristine, and the price with an FMX was $150.00 bucks and I have given away the FMX and used the front motor cover.

The sad thing is I cant let it go! I want to ask you," Oh yeah,what size cam was it running"? I'm pretty sure I could make it work with a 260 grind w/shorter intake duration. see what i mean? one thing for sure is that i'm stocked up on all kinds of parts! it's odd but aussie heads are not supposed to have any corner markings but these do, one has a 3 the other a 2.

The sad thing is I cant let it go! I want to ask you," Oh yeah,what size cam was it running"? I'm pretty sure I could make it work with a 260 grind w/shorter intake duration. see what i mean? one thing for sure is that i'm stocked up on all kinds of parts! it's odd but aussie heads are not supposed to have any corner markings but these do, one has a 3 the other a 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you could get access to a mechanic's borescope, pull the spark plugs and do a visual inspection.

I have the cam pulled, it is unmarked, without a fixture the best i could do would be to measure lift. But the engine had a factory 2 barrel intake and carb, so it was likely mild.

Well you could get access to a mechanic's borescope, pull the spark plugs and do a visual inspection.

I have the cam pulled, it is unmarked, without a fixture the best i could do would be to measure lift. But the engine had a factory 2 barrel intake and carb, so it was likely mild.

Yes Jeff thats sort of what i've gathered. to stay with the 4V valves i can either run a 2v mani/carb or the other way, and I may as well buy a set of aftermarkets. theres a company in cali does a bad ass set of aussies like some one thought they could do too mine www.powerheads.com these heads look like they came out of the foundry, they also have killer Aussie blocks and 429C stroker's and a cool DOHC Boss 351. so i know these heads can be salvaged but at what cost? like one of the other guy's said, its just a relief to know what the problem is and that as soon as i get a set head gaskets i'll be mobile again! but theres this little horsepower driven voice in my head that says"pull out that 270 stick and put in the stock one".....

JMHO but going back in with what you had is like re-marrying your first wife.
Yeah I here ya Mark, I'll transfer over the roller rockers,keep in the 270H cam w/519/519 lift &270/270 duration. i'll clean and polish up the heads, drop down to a 0.39 gasket,should be around 8.8:1 compression. I have a 72 and a 74 2V head. I wish i had a set of 70 or 71 heads for some reason these heads were putting out 9.5:1 250hp-9.2:1 240hp respectively. I've been studying the subject of these heads and there is evidence of a different cam for these years regardless that most research says that all 2v of the 335 class shared the same cam, I've also run across some evidence that the exhaust porting of these heads was different as well. if I can substantiate this it may be worth picking up a set of cheap 1970-71 heads.

something was definately different to drop from those HP stats too 177hp for 72,73,74.

Yeah I here ya Mark, I'll transfer over the roller rockers,keep in the 270H cam w/519/519 lift &270/270 duration. i'll clean and polish up the heads, drop down to a 0.39 gasket,should be around 8.8:1 compression. I have a 72 and a 74 2V head. I wish i had a set of 70 or 71 heads for some reason these heads were putting out 9.5:1 250hp-9.2:1 240hp respectively. I've been studying the subject of these heads and there is evidence of a different cam for these years regardless that most research says that all 2v of the 335 class shared the same cam, I've also run across some evidence that the exhaust porting of these heads was different as well. if I can substantiate this it may be worth picking up a set of cheap 1970-71 heads.

something was definately different to drop from those HP stats too 177hp for 72,73,74.
Don @ Ohio Mustang has a set or two

Now you're talkin!!!

I appreciate it guys,I still haven't told the boss of my discovery. I'm afraid to tell her i'm looking at another set of heads, or it might be me with a aussie head up my ass, that is once she pulls my head out of the way first. I'm just getting my interior back together after putting in a 500 watt amp and rewired the car with quality speaker wire. in a couple day i'll remove the heads and start working up the 2v's,they need paint as well. when i get those aussie's off i'll post pic's.

Back