Vinyl roof project started

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elena73Mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1 Mustang, Dearborn plant, unit 258032, district code-Kansas City, original sale, Joplin, MO Sept. 29, 1973 Dan Stanley Motors. 3B blue with white vinyl roof and white and black interior. We bought her 2002. 351 2v V8 was rebuilt in 2003, bored .0030, shaved heads .0030, Edlebrock 750 carb, Edlebrock performer intake, flat-top pistons and Holley high flow fuel pump. Hedman Competition Headers and header type sidepipes, N50's. High lift leaf springs and shackles. Traction bars. deep dish aluminum slot mags (that replaced her original factory aluminum slots and pony caps-don't worry we still have them). Owner is Beth Titus, crew is Mark and Beth Titus.
Minnesota June 12, 2012: We brought Elena in to Albertville Auto Body last week, they just started tearing into her yesterday. She was way overdue, bad bad rust underneath, absolutely embarrassing, just couldn't show her that way ANYMORE. We stopped by Premier Upholstery in Rogers yesterday and talked to the guy that works in concert with the Albertville shop. We picked out the vinyl, and the color, and we brought along Marks 72 LTD to show him the seams, give him an idea what we're looking for. My old vinyl didn't have the right pattern at all, no seams on the top where they belonged, but two gawd-awful seams, one on each side, halfway down the pillars along the windsheild. I cannot wait to see this car finally looking the way it should.

Cool! I know you have done your research to make it look correct. Your efforts will be evident in the finished product.

Congrats! Post up some pics!

Ray

Cool! I know you have done your research to make it look correct. Your efforts will be evident in the finished product.

Congrats! Post up some pics!

Ray
It won't be the exact original, it'll be aftermarket, but I think it will look good. Somebody mentioned the molding having the "cut outs" to fit the seams under, and mine definitely has that, so they'll know where to line them up. I can't find a good photo of a stock one. But I think the guy will do a good job, and he saw the seams on the LTD, they must be pretty similar.

You know, usually I document the bejesus out of everything, drives my sister crazy, but for some dumb reason I didn't think to take a "before" picture. I'm definitely gonna run over to the shop tomorrow and hope to catch something interesting.

We have a new dash pad on order, my birthday present, but it hasn't arrived yet. Hubby says he went for the factory one instead of the aftermarket cause he knows how I am. It's been since mid May though and so far it's a no show.

Got a new bumper in the bedroom just waiting behind the door, that would have been on long ago but somebody (not me) tapped the stangs rear quarter into our 48 GMC pickup while moving toys around in the garage one day. We ran out of money around the same time, and it's been buckled like that for a few years. Somebody is getting tired of having to own up to that one (everyone assumes it was the dingy chick that owns the car), but the vinyl roof was just a must do after coming out of storage this winter. We aren't going to wait for that rear body work anymore, the bumper goes on as soon as it's back from the roof job, buckled quarter or not.

Both sidepipes are rusted out, they need to be replaced ASAP, but again, waiting on money. Hopefully, soon. I got those things in 2003, I thought I would have got more time out of them. I need to learn how to store them better.

Yikes, worst case scenerio. Not surprised. The skin is unusable. We're looking around for roofs at junkyards starting now. The body shop guy says he's been looking for something new on the net, but no luck. Here we go...

Yikes, worst case scenerio. Not surprised. The skin is unusable. We're looking around for roofs at junkyards starting now. The body shop guy says he's been looking for something new on the net, but no luck. Here we go...
Sorry to hear that...keeping my fingers crossed for ya

Thanks. I think I'm only bummed that the project won't be whistling along as fast as we hoped. It'll just take some time now, but us pirates are always searching for treasure, so there's that. We're hunting down the donors we've seen from memory first, if that doesn't work I suppose we'll have to start beating the drums.

check out this post for a roof section for sale:

> might be already sold...

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-lots-of-73-parts-for-sale-cheap?highlight=roof

best of luck!!

Ray
Hubby says after shipping it would be more than he wants us to pay, if it's not already gone as you said. But this is where we get into the mechanic vs owner war. I'm willing to go the extra mile. We'll see what starts shaking out here. I'm not passing on this link just yet. Thanks for it. Oh, I have an idea, if it pans out I'll tell you what it was.

Thanks. I think I'm only bummed that the project won't be whistling along as fast as we hoped. It'll just take some time now, but us pirates are always searching for treasure, so there's that. We're hunting down the donors we've seen from memory first, if that doesn't work I suppose we'll have to start beating the drums.

check out this post for a roof section for sale:

> might be already sold...

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-lots-of-73-parts-for-sale-cheap?highlight=roof

best of luck!!

Ray
Hubby says after shipping it would be more than he wants us to pay, if it's not already gone as you said. But this is where we get into the mechanic vs owner war. I'm willing to go the extra mile. We'll see what starts shaking out here. I'm not passing on this link just yet. Thanks for it. Oh, I have an idea, if it pans out I'll tell you what it was.
Nope, the bright idea was that I have a cousin coming up from Texas (possible ride for the part) but he's flying. Zilch.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, I think we have a skin lined up already. The guy is walking into the back 40 of the junk yard to make sure it's in good shape, he said he's got a couple of 'em. Just waiting on the call. Sweet!

Back