What engine do you have?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What engine is in you 71-73 Mustang?

• Total voters

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Just curious on what engine you have in your 71-73 Mustang? Hit the poll and feel free to post a comment if you like! The choices may reflect the base block in case you have a built up motor or stroker kit. This isn't any kind of scientific survey, I just wanted to see what the breakdown looks like! Multiple choice is allowed, but you can only vote once if you have several cars with the same engine as I do!

Well, I CURRENTLY have two different Ford big block Fords in my "73 Grande and '73 Mach I. The Grande has a .060 over 460 while the Mach I has a .020 over 428CJ.

Sometime pretty soon, the 428CJ will be replaced by a stroked 460 (545 - Forged 4.500 Crank in a 4-bolt main 429SCJ block).

BT

Somehow, I figure us 302 guys might be the minority!

I would bet that also. There is nothing wrong with that either ! We all know what kind of power these little guys are cranking out these days.The 71 -73 are just big cars with the best engine compartment of all the Mustangs,lot's of play room!

I have run the 351CJ factory . Then warmed up with intake carb and headers.Then went to a bassic 351 R code motor,open chamber heads with re-worked 12.1 pistons,hot custom ground solid lifter cam etc...(my favorite and fastest so far).Then I went the 429 / 460 route.I did not like that set up.I changed EVRYTHING to make it just like the 71 429 car.It was a touch quicker than the 351,but not as fast!My trap speeds went from 111mph down to 102 mph with the same basic et's.The 429 was easier to live with on the street,but the car handeled like a "pig".You had better plan your turns well in advance!

I am back to the 351,4 bolt block with flat tops and closed chamber 4v heads this time.I am not real happy with this one either.I have since determined that I am way off on my cam,and I have limited myself on the intake due to my own insistence that I run the factory ram air set up.This keeps me from running a Torker style / taller intake.I am stuck with a duel plane intake not good over about 5500 rpm.It is not the motors fault.

Mustang 5.jpg

I would bet that also. There is nothing wrong with that either ! We all know what kind of power these little guys are cranking out these days.The 71 -73 are just big cars with the best engine compartment of all the Mustangs,lot's of play room!

I have run the 351CJ factory . Then warmed up with intake carb and headers.Then went to a bassic 351 R code motor,open chamber heads with re-worked 12.1 pistons,hot custom ground solid lifter cam etc...(my favorite and fastest so far).Then I went the 429 / 460 route.I did not like that set up.I changed EVRYTHING to make it just like the 71 429 car.It was a touch quicker than the 351,but not as fast!My trap speeds went from 111mph down to 102 mph with the same basic et's.The 429 was easier to live with on the street,but the car handeled like a "pig".You had better plan your turns well in advance!

I am back to the 351,4 bolt block with flat tops and closed chamber 4v heads this time.I am not real happy with this one either.I have since determined that I am way off on my cam,and I have limited myself on the intake due to my own insistence that I run the factory ram air set up.This keeps me from running a Torker style / taller intake.I am stuck with a duel plane intake not good over about 5500 rpm.It is not the motors fault.
I felt the same about the ram air but when I got the numbers with the stock intake I changed my mind.I could of went with a performer rpm and still kept the ram air but I opted for the Air gap and I am rally happy with the results. I went from 385 hp to 435 just by putting on the Air gap instead of the stock intake. Of course the Air gap is to tall for the ram air but since I make more power without it I don't mind at all :D

351c here as well. A little different approach. Using 2v heads, larger valves and more port volume than any factory chevy head. Pocket ported, paid much attention to the guide area. Bronze guides, 1 piece stainless valves, roller rockers, guideplates and screw in studs. Performer intake with a 650 Holley vacuum secondary carb. Stock bore and stroke at present. New short block will be .030" over, light weight pistons, polished rods, floating pins. At present the engine has an Isky hydraulic RV cam. Plans are for a Comp hydraulic roller with the new short block.

A well worn 351C.My plan is to stay Cleavland powered. Replace FMX with a C6 and install a GEAR VENDORS under/overdrive unit on tail of trans which will give me 6 speeds. I have installed N case trac loc with 3.50 out of a 73 Mach1. I'll be replacing the ring & pinion to 3.89 or 3.91 that will equate to around 3.20s in sixth gear running 265/60/15 BFG T/As. 65 mph in overdrive should be 2500 RPM or so.

351 4V that had a rebuild a long time before I bought it. I can't complain though as it seems quite similar to the rebuild I did on the previous car I had: Crane cam, lifters. Not sure if it has been bored or not but probably won't tear it apart 'til I need to. Lots of other things to spend $ on before I start into that.

A well worn 351C.My plan is to stay Cleavland powered. Replace FMX with a C6 and install a GEAR VENDORS under/overdrive unit on tail of trans which will give me 6 speeds. I have installed N case trac loc with 3.50 out of a 73 Mach1. I'll be replacing the ring & pinion to 3.89 or 3.91 that will equate to around 3.20s in sixth gear running 265/60/15 BFG T/As. 65 mph in overdrive should be 2500 RPM or so.

i had never heard of this product {gear vendors under/overdrive} sounds like something I could use.Was the installation easy?

I had one in my 88 F250 460 C6 4X4 4.11s which only got 8 MPG be i installed the unit. Gas mileage went up to 10-11 mpg. At 65 MPH RPMs dropped by 700 RPM. Very easy to install. Remove trans tail housing and install adapter housing then Gear vendor. You will have to shorten the drive shaft. Then install controller under dash and dimer switch on floor next to head light dimer switch. Go to www. gear vendors .com I have a buddy has a 55 chevy with a 502 turbo 400 3.73s drives it daily.

Nice! But "Yee-ow" on the wallet! Gotta budget for that one... but I think it'll be worth it down the road.

I had one in my 88 F250 460 C6 4X4 4.11s which only got 8 MPG be i installed the unit. Gas mileage went up to 10-11 mpg. At 65 MPH RPMs dropped by 700 RPM. Very easy to install. Remove trans tail housing and install adapter housing then Gear vendor. You will have to shorten the drive shaft. Then install controller under dash and dimer switch on floor next to head light dimer switch. Go to www. gear vendors .com I have a buddy has a 55 chevy with a 502 turbo 400 3.73s drives it daily.
I started to get one and member on the VMF site had one in his 68.He actually talked me out of it.I did alot of research on them about a year ago and talked myself out of it.It was a neat sounding part,just don,t think it would work on the track.I think in a Mustang you wind up with a really short drive shaft,that is the issue,the angle.

Gear vendors sells reconditioned unit for 1800.00. My buddy takes his 55 to the track regularly. See allot guys running it around here. There not cheep but work great. Drive shaft angle is a valid point. My brother is installing one in his 70 BOSS 302 behind the top loader. His Boss is factory drag-pack car with 4.30 gears. So Ill let you know how the driveshaft turns out.

Gear vendors sells reconditioned unit for 1800.00. My buddy takes his 55 to the track regularly. See allot guys running it around here. There not cheep but work great. Drive shaft angle is a valid point. My brother is installing one in his 70 BOSS 302 behind the top loader. His Boss is factory drag-pack car with 4.30 gears. So Ill let you know how the driveshaft turns out.
That would be great!I thought I had found the "Holy Grail" until the negative on the drive shaft.I would love to run one so that I could keep my gears.Does your freind use it on the track, like a low first / first ,low second / second etc....? Thanks!

88025a63.jpg

Back