What's Wrong With This Door Data Tag?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
While doing a little internet browsing for a 1973 Q code convertible, I came across a very nice looking car that seemed to have all of the right pieces. The description said "all original" and the car appeared to be in excellent condition based on the photos. Then I saw the photo of the door tag. Uh-oh... Something is not quite right here I told myself. I have my own ideas about what is wrong with this tag but would like the knowledgeable members of 7173Mustangs.com to weigh in on this. What do you see wrong here?

2ue2wrl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1's in the Vin look funny. Trans, color, body, interior codes all wrong.

Looks like someone bought a blank and made their own tag without doing any research as to what it should be.

The door tag data is wrong, but that doesn't mean it's not a 1973 Q code convertible, it's just a red flag that means you need to dig a little deeper. If you really like the car for the selling price you can always offer to pay the agreed upon price "if" he'll allow a fender to be pulled and the number on the frame matchs the dash VIN#...if he won't, I'd walk.

There is probably a good reason for a fake door code
I agree it's a red flag but it could be some guy just trying to replace a door tag missing or painted over using their limited knowledge to type in what they felt was correct. I would suspect that someone trying to scam a buyer would do a better job of getting the codes corrrect. If the number stamped on the frame matched the vin# advertised I'd ignore the piece of paper glued on the door frame if I really wanted the car for the asking price.

Jim

I agree Mark. This door tag is almost comical. Aside from the format of the label being completely wrong and the vehicle weights missing, it has the following problems:

Body type: CV (for convertible I assume) - should be 76D.

Color: R (for red I guess) - should be 2B most likely.

Trim: CW - they actually got this one right.

Axle: D - no such code in 1973.

Transmission: C6 - well, it is a C6 but the code for that should be U.

DSO could be right if it went to San Jose originally.

One of the other things that struck me is that the manufacture date of May 1973 doesn't really go with the serial number (181467 was likely built much earlier in the 1973 model year). They were asking $23,900 for the car and it was quite impressive but you gotta wonder why they went to the trouble of creating a fake door tag.

The door tag data is wrong, but that doesn't mean it's not a 1973 Q code convertible, it's just a red flag that means you need to dig a little deeper. If you really like the car for the selling price you can always offer to pay the agreed upon price "if" he'll allow a fender to be pulled and the number on the frame matchs the dash VIN#...if he won't, I'd walk.

Thanks Jim - good info!

I agree Mark. This door tag is almost comical. Aside from the format of the label being completely wrong and the vehicle weights missing, it has the following problems:

Body type: CV (for convertible I assume) - should be 76D.

Color: R (for red I guess) - should be 2B most likely.

Trim: CW - they actually got this one right.

Axle: D - no such code in 1973.

Transmission: C6 - well, it is a C6 but the code for that should be U.

DSO could be right if it went to San Jose originally.

One of the other things that struck me is that the manufacture date of May 1973 doesn't really go with the serial number (181467 was likely built much earlier in the 1973 model year). They were asking $23,900 for the car and it was quite impressive but you gotta wonder why they went to the trouble of creating a fake door tag.

Your right according to the consecutive vin number this car should have been built around November or December of 72.

Verify dash VIN would be good.

But I think a Marti on this car would help the most.

And the deluxe would give a copy of the door tag, too.

That door tag looks suspect and causes too many red flags.

Best to verify and if purchased, replace with one from Kevin Marti.

If the current owner would go to the trouble - I think it would increase the value of the car.

Ray

I have not seen the VIN on the dash - I just saw this car advertised on a web site for sale. There are lots of photos, and like I said, it is a nice looking car. This line in the owners description seems hollow after seeing the door data tag: "It will be hard to find a car as well documented as this one". I dare say one would never find another car with a data plate like this :dodgy:

Here is the URL if you want to take a look at it:

http://classiccars.com/listing-325678/1973-ford-mustang-for-sale-in-bryan-ohio-us.html

Looks nice in the photos, but I did notice paint overspray on the door strikers. I would want to check it out in person to determine the quality of the paint and body work.

I wonder why some one went threw the trouble to remake the tag.. but not even find the right codes?...that is just a odd fake...lol..Amature fake i guess? lol
I replied to the add on-line with a fake name and email and pointed out the obvious erroneous information. :p It's amazing how stupid some people that sell cars for a living can be.

This is my mustang for sale. There are occasions when the information on the stickers is wrong, as is the case with my car. (If I had something to hide I would have removed it before I sold it.) I can tell you that I have the Marti Report that confirms the authenticy of the vehicle. Anyone else can get the Marti Report as well. I also have the names of three prior owners (I got a picture with two of them when I was at a car show at Toney Betten Ford in Grand Rapids, Michigan) One of the prior owners was a member of the Tony Betten family. He really was thrilled to see it when I brought it to the car show held at his dealership. Mr. Betten sold the car to another person in 1995. I have all the original sale documents when Mr. Betten sold it that confirm mileage, etc. If you want to speak to me or get more information please call me at the number where you saw the ad. I am confident that if we speak and you see the documentation you will not have any doubt about the authenticity of this car. Charles

I wonder why some one went threw the trouble to remake the tag.. but not even find the right codes?...that is just a odd fake...lol..Amature fake i guess? lol
I replied to the add on-line with a fake name and email and pointed out the obvious erroneous information. :p It's amazing how stupid some people that sell cars for a living can be.
I am the owner of the car. I guess I now know who sent the email with the fake phone number. If you had left a genuine phone number I would have been happy to talk to you about this. Please see my response below that explains this matter. I have a marti report and any one is free to look at the car and my documentation. You have made assumptions without knowing all the facts. And we know what happens when people assume.

Maybe I missed it above, does the door tag VIN match the one by the windshield?
This is my car for sale. Yes the VIN numbers do match. I can email a picture of the windshield to any interested buyers. Please see my explanations elsewhere on this string that explains this. I have the Marti Report and a lot of documentation. Thank you for your question. It is a fair one.

While doing a little internet browsing for a 1973 Q code convertible, I came across a very nice looking car that seemed to have all of the right pieces. The description said "all original" and the car appeared to be in excellent condition based on the photos. Then I saw the photo of the door tag. Uh-oh... Something is not quite right here I told myself. I have my own ideas about what is wrong with this tag but would like the knowledgeable members of 7173Mustangs.com to weigh in on this. What do you see wrong here?

2ue2wrl.jpg
Steve, this is my car. I have posted a response below. You have raised a fair question and I trust you will find my response satisfactory. Charles

Dear Jim and Jutta. This is my car for sale. Thanks for the information. I was not aware of this way to authenticate a Mustang. As you will see from my responses elsewhere, I have a Marti Report and this car is authentic. And yes, I would be happy to accept an offer subject to the right to pull a fender, if it did not cause damage. Do you know if it can be done without causing damage or problems? The paint is terrific on the car and I do not want to mess is up. Charles

ccman73, thanks for the responses you provided. Since you have the Marti report you may want to invest a little more and buy the correct door sticker from Marti. When I repainted my 73 I purchased an exact reproduction sticker from Marti. Good luck with the sale.

Looks nice in the photos, but I did notice paint overspray on the door strikers. I would want to check it out in person to determine the quality of the paint and body work.
This is my car for sale. The paint looks great up close. I would not expect anyone to buy it who did not see it in person up close.

Latest posts

Back