site suggestion on parts interchange

ramair

Question

I would like to suggest a section on the forum that would be dedicated to just parts interchange on our cars. There are some people(including myself) that don't know about some of the differences between the years and what will work and not work. It would be good to know what parts off what cars will work on our cars. Example, will a 71-73 Cougar rearend work on a 71-73 Mustang or will seat belts out of a 73 Torino work on a 73 Mustang? I found out today that 71-72 Mustang Coupe rear seats and the rear side panels will not work on a 73 Mustang Coupe. No matter what I tried, 71-72 seats and side panels did not work on my 73. If we had a resource section on parts interchange it would have saved me a couple hours of grief. I took many pictures of the rear seat differences and can write an thread on this alone.

my current rides

1973 Mustang Coupe

1989 Mercury Cougar XR7

1973 Mercury XR7 Cougar Convertible(sold)

1966 Mercury Comet 202

1985 F150 4x4

1962 Ford Fairlane 500

5 answers to this question

Yeah, that is a great idea but it wouldn't be feasible on forum software like we are running here. That much information would have to be a whole other animal...if you need answers now, just post in the forums and someone may have the interchange info you need! :D

Thanks!

spacer.png

We do try to "educate" in this area (interchangeability) through our Weekly Fun Question (WFQ) exercises. If you look through the WFQ Archives you will find MANY questions/problems devoted to the interchangeability of parts for our Mustangs.

As Barry stated, it probably would be a lot simpler just to post up a question on the appropriate Forum when you have some doubt.

That having been said, you bring up an interesting suggestion which I believe needs further evaluation, possibly through trying to scan or develop a link to one of the "interchangeability" resources. I will look into the possibilities upon my return from "vacation."

BT

Do the RIGHT thing.

Are you sure you have coupe seat and side panels

Convertible rear seat looks real close but will not fit a coupe

I am pretty sure I have coupe seats in my 73 and in my 72 parts car. The reason they are different is because the seat belts are different. 73 cars have a retractable seat belt on the rear seats and the 71-72 cars don't. The seat belts are mounted in different positions and the rear seat platform is different. The bottom section of the rear seat is different due to the platform as are the side plastic panels. I have a bunch of pictures I can post on this. This was a new one with me, never knew there was a difference in rear seats.

my current rides

1973 Mustang Coupe

1989 Mercury Cougar XR7

1973 Mercury XR7 Cougar Convertible(sold)

1966 Mercury Comet 202

1985 F150 4x4

1962 Ford Fairlane 500