Coolant overflow tank installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
I have this really cool stainless coolant overflow tank I would like to install.

It is however, very tall at 21", and it is 2" across plus the brackets.

fxcljd.jpg

The best location I can see is right in front of the edge of the radiator by the battery on the passenger side where it won't be on top of my Air conditioning lines, but that makes the overflow line fairly long. As small as the line is I think that is okay, but if someone has a reason not to do it this way, I'd welcome the knowledge.

I would drill a small hole thru the front valance to let the long nipple drop thru. This would make the tank accessible without getting in the way of anything.

Alternately I could move the horn of the driver side front inner fender and cut thru it with a hole saw to bring it up thru the fender, but I am not digging that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Driver's side

2r5qfdi.jpg

You can see right where I want to put the overflow tank in front of the passenger side edge of the radiator. Tons of empty room there
not sure how original you want to keep it but a neat thing i did with my 1965 coupe and probably do with my 73 is; you see were the washer fluid reservoir is? replace it with a dual reservoir type out of a early ranger or explorer like this.

ford_ranger_1989_coolant_reservoir_bottle_oem_e7tz17618b.jpg

I'm sure he you want to use the fancy chrome one you got there. However just thought id share what i plan to do. They can be found cheap at your local pick-and-pull!

I'm not stuck on using my chrome one and original is not necessarily better. I like that idea. Did the washer pump fit or did you have to update to a newer pump?
Well like i said i had it on my 65 which originally had a washer fluid baggy so i found some scrap parts laying around the garage, can't remember off top my head at the moment. I'm sure you can wire in the factory pump or use the ranger/explorer pump with some modification. I am going with this setup as i have a old ranger behind my dads house that has volunteered its reservoir for me. I'll see how its set up on my 73 when i get home or maybe tomorrow depending when i'm able to get off work.

I went with with the Summit cylinder with the site gauge. It mounted up nice and neat and gave some more room there. For me, I wanted it to blend and not be noticed, so it seemed to accomplish that and still serve it's purpose....And it was economical, like $20, so I was able to buy beer that week!

Summit Racing SUM-G1473 - Summit Racing® Radiator Catch Cans with Sight Tube

DSCF7403 (18).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with with the Summit cylinder with the site gauge. It mounted up nice and neat and gave some more room there. For me, I wanted it to blend and not be noticed, so it seemed to accomplish that and still serve it's purpose....And it was economical, like $20, so I was able to buy beer that week!

Wow! That's a nice lookin engine bay and I love the Air Filter!

Driver's side

2r5qfdi.jpg

not sure how original you want to keep it but a neat thing i did with my 1965 coupe and probably do with my 73 is; you see were the washer fluid reservoir is? replace it with a dual reservoir type out of a early ranger or explorer like this.

I'm sure he you want to use the fancy chrome one you got there. However just thought id share what i plan to do. They can be found cheap at your local pick-and-pull!
This is what I did and only someone on this site would know it's not original.

Driver's side

2r5qfdi.jpg

This is what I did and only someone on this site would know it's not original.
Original Ford part though! :)

Wow! That's a nice lookin engine bay and I love the Air Filter!
Thanks! It matched up pretty good with the V/C's, was hard to find a K&N to fit though.

Hey, forgot about this- angle was wrong and fitting the tank to sit level would have taken too much room and while it could be done, I threw an insulated sports drink bottle into a bicycle cup holder and hung it off my electric fan shroud for a cheesy but effective overflow.

Hey, forgot about this- angle was wrong and fitting the tank to sit level would have taken too much room and while it could be done, I threw an insulated sports drink bottle into a bicycle cup holder and hung it off my electric fan shroud for a cheesy but effective overflow.
Alright, too bad. You gotta love that MacGyverism though!  ::thumb::

Back