My bad day...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemikiller

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
71 XR-7 hardtop
71 Country Squire
65 hardtop
Today was supposed to be a nice day, the wife was taking our 16 month old daughter to see the grandparents, so I could do some maintenance stuff on the cars and work around the house.

Fifteen minutes after I sent them off, I get a call from her, they were in an accident....

The story goes that an older woman was "unfamiliar with the area" and drove her Prius through the stop signs at the end of the highway off ramp at about 50mph. She was trying to get back onto the highway on ramp directly across the street. Well, she never made it because my wife and child were in the way.......

Result:

Hyundai Accent- totalled

Wife - compound fracture of the right tibia, fractured ankle bone and ligament damage to the same side knee. Also having pain in her right hip, doc thinks it's just inflammation from her smashing her knee into the dash. She had surgery today to put a pin in her leg and reset the bone and will be in the hospital for 2~3 days. She'll spend Christmas at home if I have to kidnap her in the middle of the night...

Child - A-ok, okie dokie. She was checked out by two docs at the hospital and she only has a small abrasion on her collarbone from the strap on the child seat. It's a good thing she was fine otherwise I'd be probably writing this from my jail cell. She's with the grandparents for a couple days.

I have to contact the state troop tomorrow to get a copy of the accident report. If I find they didn't charge that dim bulb with reckless driving I'm going to have a chat with the highest ranking cop in the place I can get my hands on.

DSC03181.jpg

Sorry to hear this, but I am glad everyone is better than worse! Years ago, I was hit by an 83 year old lady that should never have been driving so I know how you feel!

WOW,Sorry to hear about this. Prayers are with your family (all of you guys). I hope your wife gets some relief from her pain. Things like this put how precious life is and back in prospective. Take care and if I can do anything let me know.

Roy

Man, Dennis, I am sorry to here about that, but glad to hear that everyone is alive after seeing the pic. Thank God for child safety seats, huh? Tell your wife to keep her chin up. You all will be in our thoughts and prayers. Like Roy said, if there's anything we can do to help, just yell.

Doc

Yea sorry to here that, gla every one OK hope your wife gets feeling better soon.

As everybody else has said, "Thank Goodness it wasn't worse and your family's doing as well as they are." Hope your wife's surgery goes well and there's no major complications or lasting issues.

thank GOD it wasnt worse than it was. prayers for your wife and family. hopefully she will be home for christmas.

Just glad your family is going to be OK--it looks like a terrible collision and could have been worse. Enjoy the true gift of this holiday season - being together.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers guys, I've told the wife you're are thinking of her. She is a comfortable as she can be in this situation. They fixed the leg with a stainless rod, the biggest concern now is infection due to the compound fracture with the skin getting broken. The doctor stressed this point and they have her on a healthy dose of antibiotics. The next step is some PT to get her mobile with a walker and crutches. There's going to be a second surgery to repair ligament damage in the knee, the surgeon is supposed to come evaluate her for that today and determine the best time to do it.

Seeing the accident, my first thoughts were it could have been a lot worse. Luckily, she hit the other woman in the passenger fender and not vice versa. If she had broadsided my wife, this would have been -very- different. Amazing the difference a second or two makes in an accident.

My daughter has been with the grandparents since Saturday afternoon. She's been 100% fine, so we have no worries there. I'm going to have her seen by our pediatrician this week, just as a follow up.

Again, thank you for the thoughts and prayers. I will keep you posted as soon as I know anything more.

Now, to go drag the wreck home....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back