73 mach 1 flip open gas cap question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ze4operator

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 mustang, born on 14feb73, 351v2 c6, 3:50 9".

have owned "christine" since 1986 where she was my daily driver. 5 years ago restored her back to MCA concourse driven, (well as close to it as i could, work in progress) and attended my first grand nationals and got a bronze award in concourse driven. though i like the mca look, i think i liked her better with some modifications. color is 4b bright green gold metallic.
greetings,

after a few deductions at mca shows, i was told that the flip open gas cap was not original to the 73 mustang. yet at few shows here and there i talked to an original owner who said his mustang came with it when he bought it.

does any one know if the 73 came with it? thanks

It was only original in 1971. There were safety issues that led to it being discontinued i.e., it would pop open when the car was rearended. A dealer most certainly could have retrofitted one prior to the initial sale and if you could get a window sticker from the original dealer, perhaps the judging would accept it as being proper.

I guess I got beat to the punch by being too wordy.

Last edited by a moderator:
greetings,

after a few deductions at mca shows, i was told that the flip open gas cap was not original to the 73 mustang. yet at few shows here and there i talked to an original owner who said his mustang came with it when he bought it.

If he had a 71 it did:s

greetings,

I'd get a reproduction gas cap and change it out before the judged show. It's only a couple of bolts. I love the look of the flip down units as well! And I can't leave it sitting on top of the gas pump either.

greetings,

I'd get a reproduction gas cap and change it out before the judged show. It's only a couple of bolts. I love the look of the flip down units as well! And I can't leave it sitting on top of the gas pump either.
Just A SIDE NOTE TO THAT, actually you can because the reproduction flip downs have a cap behind the flip down.

I read some time ago in some mustang literature that there was a recall on the 71 mach1 to change over the gas caps to the revised versions.

I'd like to know how many (%) actually took up this option?

Ditto to the comments above.

71 only as a factory option and discontinued due to safety concerns. If you do like the look get the one that has the screw on cap underneath. It will still give you the look you like with one less concern that your car will burn to the ground if it is ever struck from behind.

I have an original ford flip down on my 72 and I will be replacing it with the correct 72 turn on piece.

thanks for the answers. i have an original nos flip down that i bought years ago (and i thought 50$ NIB was expensive back in 88) to put on, just liked the look of it.

i changed out to a twist on pony cap for mca judging, but in my opinion i think the flip down looks cooler on the car..lol

Mine has a NOS or older reproduction on it.. It was on the car when Dad bought it in 1992. It's the plunger style. I will probably replace it with the hidden cap version... It leaks fuel if you romp on it with a full tank.

Latest posts

Back