How to remove the heater box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmichaud

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang grande with a 351 cleveland engine
I have a 73 grande and i want to remove the heater box. But i don't know how to. So can you guys point me to a website, video or just tell me how to remove it

there's no quick fix here. I replaced the heater core while I had the dash and wiring dismantled. And even then it was a pain.

Actually, there's a howto on on of the mustang online sites. Just search in google, eg mustang heaterbox restoration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 73 grande and i want to remove the heater box. But i don't know how to. So can you guys point me to a website, video or just tell me how to remove it
OUCH...hate when that happens.

I can provide service manual instructions, which are actually pretty good as I recall.

I also believe there are foam seals which you will find to be trashed. In addition to the heater core, you should try to get a kit to replace the foam seals as well.

Because it is summer, if you do not need your heater, but need your car, you can remove the heater hoses at the engine bay fire wall and hook them together. You will lose a little heat dissipation, but other than that you should be fine.

GOOD TRUE Heater hose is hard to come by. I will see if I can help in that regard as well.

And LASTLY, you may want to replace your thermostat. There is a VERY IMPORTANT THREAD regarding the BYPASS VALVE for the thermostat that you need to read and understand.

And LASTLY LASTLY, there is also an important thread regarding the radiator cap. If you have an overflow tank, you need one type of cap. If you do not have overflow, you would use a second type.

Good luck...piece of crap radiator core.

And, if you don't want to do it, there is a thread running here about how great these Mustang wives are. Perhaps you could ask one of them replace it for you.

Give this video a try. Even though it is a Cougar they are very similiar having gone down the same assembly line together. These guys are very knowledgable about old parts and can help find those difficult parts for our mustangs off of a Cougar. They help me source a Battery Apron support that was rust free and cut the whole apron and frame rail out for me to avoid damage to the support.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WestCoastClassicCoug

Thanks i didn't know it was that BIG of a job just to get the heater box out

SledgeHammer.jpeg

That oughta do it ;)

SledgeHammer.jpeg

That oughta do it ;)
I don't want to brake it. i just want to take it out and fix it

SledgeHammer.jpeg

That oughta do it ;)
So that's where my rear quarter panel adjuster went :dodgy:

SledgeHammer.jpeg

When you get to Heaven, you get one of these to use on the guy who actually designed this heater core, causing it to be a PITA to get out.

Can't wait to get to heaven....Hope I get a special hammer to use on the guys from Microsoft.

I found this last night. Very helpfull. All the tips are great. I'm only at removal but the rebuild should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SubvM762z0g

i can put something together but trust me the whole job really sucks.

first is this a heater only car or a A/C car?

Back