71 Mach rear Quarter questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageLn

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
2001 Ford Mustang Cobra
2006 S281 Saleen
Hey guys, I had a question about rear quarters for our cars....

First I was wondering are the reproductions worth fiddling with? Do they wrap into the door jam so you can weld them? NPD etc?

Secondly how do you seasoned guys feel about the lower patch jobs for a rear quarter? I'm not to sure about how I feel about that kind of repair

I have been working in a body shop as a tech now for 7 years so I know I can handle this of course... Just wanting to get an idea of what to get and what to stay away from.

My car was repaired in the back quite sometime before I bought her and I have recently started work on the car ( will post pics soon. ) For whatever reason the tail light panel was welded on crooked, and the left rear quarter was built out with bondo, yet there is no deformation on the inside of the panel. And I haven't removed the existing bondo yet.

With the help of Don, and a couple others from this forum I have recieved

parts that aren't reproduced and in great usable condition! Anyway just trying to gauge some opinions

Hey guys, I had a question about rear quarters for our cars....

First I was wondering are the reproductions worth fiddling with? Do they wrap into the door jam so you can weld them? NPD etc?

Secondly how do you seasoned guys feel about the lower patch jobs for a rear quarter? I'm not to sure about how I feel about that kind of repair

I have been working in a body shop as a tech now for 7 years so I know I can handle this of course... Just wanting to get an idea of what to get and what to stay away from.

My car was repaired in the back quite sometime before I bought her and I have recently started work on the car ( will post pics soon. ) For whatever reason the tail light panel was welded on crooked, and the left rear quarter was built out with bondo, yet there is no deformation on the inside of the panel. And I haven't removed the existing bondo yet.

With the help of Don, and a couple others from this forum I have recieved

parts that aren't reproduced and in great usable condition! Anyway just trying to gauge some opinions
If you have the skills to metal work the original qtr than that is the route to take..I would try to avoid using a repop lower full otr..at all costs.. A small lower rear section is no biggie if you butt weld it for an invisible repair. I have yet to see a car with a full repop panel done correctly..

You should get yourself a shrinking disc & learn how to use it..Check out my vids for a bunch of tips

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzenut/videos

www.saturdaymorninggarage.com

Back