Headlight switch question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang sportsroof - 351c 2v - fmx trans.
Hello folks, I am a year into restoring our 73 sportsroof and have a question about the headlight switch, it should pull out to turn the lights on right?, mine seems to be stuck. Is this a common problem with these cars and is there a fix for this problem? wd-40 etc. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your time, is removal pretty involved or is it fairly straight forward?, I have a feeling this car sat for a long time before we got it and hopefully with a good cleaning the switch will be good to go.

sorry Mike, it helps if I read the question correctly. From memory, just take the knob off, unscrew the securing nut (I use long nose pliers), pull back and unplug. I cannot remember if I took the plastic thing under the steering wheel off first. Not complex but a bit awkward trying to stick your arm up from behind the dash to unplug it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I recall, no need to remove the knob, as Caspianwendall said, there is a spring loaded button on the switch (under the dash). Just push the button and pull out on the knob and the whole shaft should come out.

I will look for the button when I go to pull it out. Question though, can I still pull the knob and shaft if they are stuck on the "in" position? and what would prevent the headlight switch knob from being able to pull out to turn the lights on? Thanks for your time.

Thanks for your time, is removal pretty involved or is it fairly straight forward?, I have a feeling this car sat for a long time before we got it and hopefully with a good cleaning the switch will be good to go.
Here's some instructions on removing the switch that helped me.

Jim

Back