PERFORMACE

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPAIN72MUSTANG

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang convertible
2008 ford edge
2006 cadillac cts
hi everyone i need some advice on how i should start buying parts for the 302 v8,i want to make more horse power so with your advice what should i start buying for the mustang first,all i have in the mustang is dual exhust and rebuilt holley carb,i want to start buying stuff now so bye next year i will have all the parts and than i can put in in the mustang and hopefully have a fast car, looking to get 300hp to 375hp would be ideal please help thanks Ron

To get to the power level you want to achieve you will need to look into some good cylinder heads and a cam. You wont get there with stock stuff.

im thinking of the edelbrock intake manfold and carburator kit and edelbrock heads and a cam i hope im on the right track.

You can give edlebrock a call and they can set you up...I prefer AFR or dart heads with cam to match...edlebrock intakes are great and so are their carbs but I like demon or holly carbs myself...just my 2 cents worth. In the "good ole days" we ran the alternator wires inside to a rocker so you could switch it off for extra HP...lol...but most important is that the engine be able to breath well and exhaust well

Are you rebuilding the original 302? Would you be against the idea of doing a stroker? More displacement will make all your other mods all the more effective. With 347cid, you could easily hit 400hp, with relatively low compression, and a smooth idle.

looking to get 300hp to 375hp would be ideal please help thanks Ron
This is much easier to do with a 351 C. You would have a much better idle, and better throttle response through the RPM range.

That is not to say you can't achieve this HP with a 302...but the least of your worries will be the intake and carb. You will need a rough idling cam, and either some very expensive heads or modify 351C heads to fit.

The 351W suffers from the same head limitations as a 302(lack of intake)..ask me how I know.

You can do the CLEVOR

http://www.themustangshop.com/clevor.cfm

but why us those heads on only 302 CI?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recomend to not buy parts for your 302 just build another engine for it, that way you can still drive your car untill you are ready to swap. If you want to keep the 302 engine, You can get a 302 core cheap and start building it.

I would however recomend a 351c since you can still use the tranny and motor mounts and build an easy 350 to 500 hp with mostly factory parts, no need to spend thousands on aftermarket heads or stroker kits. And it doesnt weigh 700 pounds like a big block.

Don't let them get you down, you can get ample torque and power from a 302 if built right. I built my 302 for my 68 GT myself...polished and balanced the rods, ported and polished the heads and intake, guide plates, roller rockers, and a few other tricks to decrease drag and improve fuel and air flow and I had no problems with big blocks of any brand...but I did have some difficulty with...(get this)...a 4 cylinder dodge neon...lol...he stayed right with me until I backed down for fear of blowing my engine...man was he reved...I would love to know what went into that engine. Oh and the neon was a primer black sleeper. I have a new found respect for tuner cars.

Meanwhile back at the farm, with the horsepower range you say your looking for the 302 is more that able. It depends on your budget. A reasonably priced rebuild kit can run about $1000 which has pistons, rings, cam, lifters and gaskets. Then add $400-$600 for a reputable machine shop to clean up the bore, clean, cam bearings, ect. $200 for good intake, $350 for great carb, $350 Headers....OR! Tell us what you have now (be specific) how much you'de like to comfortably spend (be conservative). What's your tranny? What gears do you have in the rear end? Hell on a budget, this bunch can still make that thing FLY! Let us know.

Marks73 is right, your in the right place, we can all put our heads together and walk you through the build and your baby will smoke some tires and chew up some chevys

Probably a souped up srt4 surprised it didn't blow up.
I think it was about to blow cause it was screaming...also think he was running nitrous

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the good comments and help,I want to use the 302 and built with the original engine,but do you guys think I should get a 351 it would be better to built off the 351 and where would I get a 351 please help,I'm a dummy when it comes to engine HP and I have no one that would help me so your input is so valueable to me so where do I get a 351 to buy

302's are cheap and easy to build power a nice set of AFR's and an air gap with a 650 carb 510 lift cam with 270 280 duration and a good set of FPA headers will get you 350hp at the crank all day long, if you want it at the wheels a stroker kit from SCAT should be had for around $1200 with good heads, intake, exhaust, 350 at the wheels is also not a problem.

one that would help me so your input is so valueable to me so where do I get a 351 to buy
Good question.

Got mine from Don of OMS (site vendor).

PM Don Witt and ask if he has anything you can

use. Bought a rebuilt Cleveland long block as seen

in the picture, Centerforce clutch is mine.

mike

HPIM2927.JPG

302's are cheap and easy to build power a nice set of AFR's and an air gap with a 650 carb 510 lift cam with 270 280 duration and a good set of FPA headers will get you 350hp at the crank all day long, if you want it at the wheels a stroker kit from SCAT should be had for around $1200 with good heads, intake, exhaust, 350 at the wheels is also not a problem.
+1

I think I'm planning on just building a really hot 302 as well. The 351 is tempting but not sure if it's in the budget. Maybe a long time down the road but I built a pretty hot little 289 for my 65 i had and that bad boy would spin some RPM's. I lost count how many people would stop me and ask if I had a 351 under that hood.

Moral is if you have the $$ and the know how I think a 351C is better option. If not, the market is saturated with 302 parts for cheap now more than ever. A lot of people have moved on the the new mod motors and newer cars at least in my area anyway, It would take over an hour just searching my city on craigslist will all the parts.

Back