1978 Mustang II, Only 82 Miles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always liked to have one of these and build a mustang out of it. Anyhow they got a bad rap but seriously If there was no mustang II there may not have been mustangs today. That car saved the mustang from the chopping block during the oil crisis and emissions era. Oh and they sold well. I do like the lines and a nasty v8 would be awesome with some restomod touches.

I always liked to have one of these and build a mustang out of it. Anyhow they got a bad rap but seriously If there was no mustang II there may not have been mustangs today. That car saved the mustang from the chopping block during the oil crisis and emissions era. Oh and they sold well. I do like the lines and a nasty v8 would be awesome with some restomod touches.
I have one ;) Im still working on...I pulled it out of the trees...lol...made a small video of it...I realy like these cars my self...Bad rap..But with mods they made amazing drag cars....light..v8 if you want...and a very strong body and frame...They say even better than the fox body mustangs ..very strong ..mine is a 1974 mach 1......only year mustang didnt make a v8 ..lol..has a v6 with a holley 4 banger...Some one was racing it back in the day..lol

Mine isnt as nice as hemnings survivor...lol

now no one can tell me thats not a good looking fast car.."drools" 850 hp in a car only 2800 pounds at the most...lol..I think much better looking than a fox body now days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one ;) Im still working on...I pulled it out of the trees...lol...made a small video of it...I realy like these cars my self...Bad rap..But with mods they made amazing drag cars....light..v8 if you want...and a very strong body and frame...They say even better than the fox body mustangs ..very strong ..mine is a 1974 mach 1......only year mustang didnt make a v8 ..lol..has a v6 with a holley 4 banger...Some one was racing it back in the day..lol

Mine isnt as nice as hemnings survivor...lol

Great find and save

Don Perkins could find room for it. There are a few II collectors out there but other than putting this car in storage or a museum it really isn't worth more than maybe half of the asking price on a good day. Ask the owners of low mileage 79 and 94 pace cars who saved their cars as invesments - they're not worth as much as what they cost new.

Original gas still in the tank? Eeewwwww! Lol

Seriously though neat car to have so few miles and factory new.

Outside she doesn't look so bad. Inside that is one UGLY dash.

There is no doubt the 74 looked and was closer to the original than the 73. THey sold a bunch of them too.

Saw this story on Hemmings! Owner is asking $26K!

Would be cool to see one this well preserved.

Here is the link: Mustang II
I had one just like that in High School, the engine reminded me of a rubber band engine, floor it, wait for it wind up, then it would shift and lug the motor down until it winded back up for the next automatic shift. I believe it was the slowest car I've ever driven. The transmission went out at about 45K, probably from the brutal demands of the massive 86HP 2.3 engine.

Jim

My first car at the age of 14 was a 1978 mustang II Ghia, it also had the 2300cc 4cyl with a 4 speed. I wanted to put a 302 my dad had in the garage, but instead put a fat camshaft i bought from JC Whitney (remember i was only 14 and didnt know any better) It really ran bad after that seemed like it would hit on all 4cyls at the same time puff of smoke:) I did get to use the 302 a year later in a 66 ranchero that was my second car after i got my license;) Loved that car/truck, the mustang II not so much

Last edited by a moderator:
This Mustang II mentioned in this thread is way overpriced in my opinion.

The 74 Mach I that I drove (briefly) to High School was a 6 cyl auto. It looked neat but would not get out of its own way. These cars sold because people were getting very scared about the availability of gasoline.

I was not impressed. It looked OK but was not enjoyable to drive. Even in the later years, with V8's, these Mustang II's did not have any real power. Of course they can be modded to run nice. Like I posted before - one guy had a 429 custom installed...

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-mustang-ii-fans-here-s-a-good-one

That was a cool Mustang II.

Ray

Back