(video update)More Carb trouble possibly? ??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 coupe
1998 mustang
1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R
OK well as you may know I put a new Carb on my car and it fired right up and ran great, even drove the car for the first time. So after 100 degree weather I had no interest in tinkering with it again until today when I planned on fixing all the brakes. I go to start it and it runs but not as well and even stalled. Only way I could get it to start was to hold choke wide open and it would spuuter around guessing 300 rpm and puff it would die. I though it was cold or whatnot so I had it in the garage as planned. Fixed by brakes yada yada and I go to start it to pull out the garage and it just didn't want to fast idle or Rev up at all. No matter how the choke was. I noticed fuel around base of the Carb so I checked the bolts and the Carb bolt were loose I though well maybe the vibrations backed em up a bit. I go to crank it and my solenoid dies..great so I go in and have dinner come back out side and tow it out the yard and into the parking spot where I tried starting it one more time and it did crank. Still it just wouldn't fire up. I don't get it. What could have gone wrong just sitting for a week and I fired it up once then. Could it be flooded somehow? If the Carb was loose and seeping fuel between the base and manifold? Sorry for the run on sentences but I'm just a little aggravated right now. Just looking for advice or suggestions before I do a bunch of unnecessary work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you have a stuck float, try tapping on the carb body with the handle of a screwdriver to get it to free up. My vote goes float problem.

if its a new carb it shouldnt have any floats sticking unless you picked up some junk from the old tank and lines. Could have gotten rust and debris into the carb. i fought the rust in my tank and lines for almost a year then just bought new lines and a tank and havent had any trouble since. you might have to clean your carb out now. just to try, stick a piece of hose into a 5 gallon jug of gas and run it to your fuel pump and see how it runs then .

Did you put a new fuel filter on the line going into the carb? If not I bet some gunk or rust got in there and is causing your new problem.

I am not saying for sure a float is the problem but I have had very low mileage new carbs have floats stick. They could also be set to high causing the carb to load with fuel big time, have ya looked at a plug or 2 yet?

Did you put a new fuel filter on the line going into the carb? If not I bet some gunk or rust got in there and is causing your new problem.
Yes I have a filter right before the Carb.

And Jeff I read the whole instruction manual and it said no adjustment should be necessary as they are tested before sale.

I will try that this evening.

If the Carb bolts were loose and creating a leak around the base..would that give me the symptoms too? It just seems like it's bogging and too much fuel.

OK obviously I can't check the floats because there's no screws or sights on the bowls..I pulled the plugs they were fouled pretty bad. Fuel laying in the intake I spun it over with the plugs out and fuel.disconnected. the gaskets at the Carb base and spacer were soaked. It will only attempt to start and sputter for a sec when I push petal all the way down but then immediately shuts off. Man this sucks. I'm about to take this Carb back the the store and have them warranty me out a new one. I don't get it it ran great when I first put it on and there's clean fuel. Only rran it twice and now it wants to be dumb.

Thannks for the help

I took pics of my Holley

uploadfromtaptalk1342055275934.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1342055302513.jpg

There's no typical screws or sights at all.

I took it out tjw box..bolted it on. Fired right up did a little drive and parked it. Waited a week for temp to cool down and now it just wont attempt to fire until I hold it WOT. Battery dead now so going to have to charge it.

uploadfromtaptalk1342055452082.jpg

This pic I took after pulling Carb. Tried soaking up all the fuel I could. I don't think that's normal. The gaskets are soaked..should I buy new ones now? Also the plugs are soaked in fuel I dried them and tried cleaning them up but it still wont start.

Back